Link: In Newton's regression, shades of another recent fall from grace (Vince Young)

EastLAGator

Sep 26, 2010
I think the mental difference between Young and Newton, for all his faults and look-at-me-I'm-Superman posing, is that deep down I believe he is a competitor who cannot accept losing, and who is willing to work to win as well as be accountable in that cause. The game means something more to him than it did to Vince Young, more than a paycheck. Young enjoyed success and the lifestyle, but at the end of the day he didn't need to win. I think Cam needs to win and is willing to dig deeper to get there, so I wouldn't write him off just yet. At least, that's what I see in his eye and in his past history as well. But, he definitely needs to grow up into a man and leave the boy behind. If he can his physical talent as a passer and all-around athlete give him as large an advantage as anyone has ever had at the position.

Last edited:

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
VY went through an emotional state, for sure. His mom called the police because she was worried about him, and when the police found him he had a gun in his car. I don't know how a big deal that would have been normally, but he was going through a nasty point in his NFL career, and his lack of mental toughness was showing.

I agree that Cam is having a hard time accepting losing, but isn't the first pro to have that issue. He just does an especially rotten job of dealing with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
When teams have a little bit of success in the NFL, it starts getting tougher. When you're playing the third best team in the other divisions instead of the fourth, you start playing a couple of decent teams, teams that may have been a bad break or injury luck away from being playoff teams.

The article's a little lazy IMO. Aaron Rodgers was held without a TD and sacked 8 times vs the Seahawks, who have the 3rd best scoring defense in the league. No one is saying "what's wrong with Aaron Rodgers", nor was the fact that they're pretty good mentioned. He's taken a step back, but that is not unusual. Matt Ryan did it too, I think most Falcons fans are happy with how he's played so far since. It's especially not unusual considering he's looking at a #1 WR who is clearly losing a step and... nobody else, combined with a generally poor offensive line.

The comparisons aren't really fair either. Vince was a head case, Newton is just a jerk.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.