News Article: Benghazi attack: CIA reported 'within 24 hours' Islamist militants to blame

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I agree I wonder if the Dems will give Obama the cold shoulder the way the GOP did to Bush.
Not yet. The campaigning for congress doesn't begin in earnest until early 2014. If this administration is still involved in multiple messes then, Democratic candidates will distance themselves of necessity, much as the GOP example you gave. If they back off prematurely, though, they could lose the backing of their own party and thus a huge portion of their finances. I do think it will be quiet for a while - this would be a bad time for the administration to attempt a legislative power play.

My best guess (which is no better than anyone else's) is that if Holder or Clinton falls or if the IRS, Benghazi, or Pressgate scandals unmistakably indicate the White House staff, the pariah factor comes into play. If any two of those happen or if the POTUS himself is undeniably indicated, you have Richard Milhouse Obama.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Don't remember 4 American corpses resulting from Watergate though.
No, but Watergate wasn't a huge story to begin with, either. And the careful editing of the releases mimics it very clearly.

In all seriousness, I'm not saying that the administration has done anything wrong wrt Benghazi or the IRS, but much like football issues at the barn, where there's this much smoke, there's almost always fire.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
Unfortunately the Benghazi story and crucifixion of Hillary has been now covered up by the AP phone taps. Long live Hillary.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Unfortunately the Benghazi story and crucifixion of Hillary has been now covered up by the AP phone taps. Long live Hillary.
Once the dam springs a leak trouble lurks in much bigger ways. The only way this gets swept away is if John "The Gelding" Boehner chooses to refuse to allow a special committee to go after the facts. That, BTW, is ENTIRELY possibly because the ruling class do circle the wagons. If he does allow one it would have subpoena power and it is clear that a LOT of people who are not politically motivated want to talk. If it is discovered who told the special ops guys to stand down not once but twice peoples careers will end. I think we know who makes that call and who made it that night.

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
He’s No Nixon

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/he-s-no-nixon_728610.html

The thoughtful Carl Cannon has written a piece, "Richard Milhous Obama," concluding that our current president has more in common with our 37th than President Obama's partisans would like to acknowledge. The estimable Victor Davis Hansen has weighed in, defending against liberal dissents the proposition that "Nixon Is a Fair Comparison" with Obama.

I protest. Will no one stand up for Richard Nixon? Richard Nixon was a combat veteran, a staunch and brave anti-Communist, a man who took on the liberal establishment and at times his own party's as well, a leader who often thought for himself and had the courage of his convictions, a president who assembled a first-rate Cabinet and one who—while flawed both in character and in policy judgment—usually tried to confront the real problems and deal with challenges of his times. Richard Nixon led neither the country nor his own administration from behind.

Richard Milhous Obama

He’s compared himself to Abraham Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt, evoked nostalgia for John F. Kennedy, sought to emulate Ronald Reagan, (belatedly) praised George W. Bush, and enlisted the assistance of Bill Clinton in his 2012 re-election effort, but as his second term stumbles along, the president with whom Barack Obama finds himself being compared is Richard M. Nixon.

My father, Lou Cannon, covered the White House with distinction for the Washington Post for many years, beginning in the Nixon administration. He employed an easy rule of thumb when fielding phone calls from anonymous tipsters:

If the caller said, “I have a story that will make Watergate look like a picnic,” Dad would hang up on him.

In the past week, Nixon’s name has been invoked often, and not in a way that pleases the current president or his loyalists. Unless it’s a reference to his dramatic 1972 visit to China, Nixon is not the president any of his successors enjoy being likened to -- especially when the suffix “gate” is attached to it.
Barack Obama was only 13 years old when Nixon resigned from office one step ahead of the posse. This is old enough to know that correlations between himself and the 37th president should be contested, which Obama has done.
“I’ll let you guys engage in those comparisons,” he replied when asked at a rainy Rose Garden appearance Thursday how he felt about the Nixon parallel.

“You can go ahead and read the history, I think, and draw your own conclusions.”

This response echoed language employed earlier in the week by Obama’s spokesman, Jay Carney. “I can tell you,” the White House press secretary told reporters, “that the people who make those kinds of comparisons need to check their history.”

Fair enough. Carney was a colleague of mine in the White House press corps during the Bill Clinton and George W. Bush years, and he summoned a pretty good institutional memory about the beat. Nixon’s presidency unraveled on the shoals of widespread criminality with no precedent in American politics. So, yes -- by all means, let’s leave Watergate out of it.

Yet, I can’t help but think that Nixon and Obama have more in common than either man’s devotees might imagine.

Read more: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/05/20/richard_milhous_obama_118475.html#ixzz2TwlauJ16
Follow us: @RCP_Articles on Twitter

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.