Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Rate Doug Nussmeier at the halfway point

It's to early to do a thorough evaluation but if he wasn't very good I think it'd be more apparent.

I'm to lazy to compile stats on the offense vs previous years and don't think that is the best way to evaluate his impact as the offensive coordinator.

Red zone offense seems to have improved although AJ gives the advantage of an experienced QB.

It may be until we see the next QB to lead Alabama before we can judge Nussmeier fairly.

So far I give him an A.

--------------------------
    side note - I like what i see from Brent Pease at Florida.

Muschamp was right to lock him up before Saban could talk to him.
    Last edited by IMALOYAL1; October 21st, 2012 at 09:03 PM.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Rate Doug Nussmeier at the halfway point

7-0
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I agree on giving him a A. To be honest, I have not noticed a lot of difference between his and Mc's play calling except we are not doing wildcat and we are using a fullback this year. I am please that he is getting the ball in Eddie, TJ and Amari's hands and that is a very good thing.

BamaNation Second Team Condor 63's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Grumpy on TideFans.com

B+

By his own admission they are inconsistent in the passing game. IMO the main reason is shaky pass protection from the tackles - blame whoever you want for that.

I'm a tough grader.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RJ YellowHammer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor 63 View Post
    B+

By his own admission they are inconsistent in the passing game. IMO the main reason is shaky pass protection from the tackles - blame whoever you want for that.

I'm a tough grader.
    More inconsistent maybe, but the routes seem more aggressive too. I like it.
    "This is not the end. This is the beginning." - Nick Saban, at the 2009 NC celebration at B-D.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we have only scratched the surface of what his play book might have to offer. I think this question might be better answered after LSU. I commend he and the staff for not creating an issue with a complete offensive scheme change. 7-0 with those numbers while losing many playmakers gets an A from me.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bama Torch in Pcola's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAFEVER50 View Post
    I think we have only scratched the surface of what his play book might have to offer. I think this question might be better answered after LSU. I commend he and the staff for not creating an issue with a complete offensive scheme change. 7-0 with those numbers while losing many playmakers gets an A from me.
    Agreed. A
    "I waxed the dude."
    --Rory Turner, Alabama DB

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com
    We are a little inconsistent and we have gotten off to slow starts a couple of times. We've also left points on the field as well. That said 1st coordinator in the SEC averaging 40+ is great. When we are on nobody can beat us, nobody!

A!!
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Second Team MasterGracey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    B-.

That said, it is sometimes unfair to attribute perceived failings to the OC, when there could certainly be lapses by players. I think it is a mixture of both, but play calling seems predictable at times.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jack Bourbon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

Sometimes it's intended to be predictable, I think

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

I don't see how it can't be an A. Our playcalling is about as aggressive as I've seen in 20 years of watching the Crimson Tide. We attack the defense just as aggressive through the air as we do on the ground. We're not afraid to throw the ball down field. We force the defense to cover all parts of the field. He gets an A in my book.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; October 21st, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I heard early about Nuss is that all receivers are "live," meaning AJ can throw to anyone, whereas, in CJM's offense, only one receiver, other than the dumpoff, was really live, with the others being decoys. Had I heard it from anyone else, I would have laughed. After watching the passing offense this year, I'm inclined to think there's something to it. Whether what I was told was an exaggeration, or they trust AJ more or not, I don't know. I do know that, given time, the ball's going out to secondary receivers more often...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American NationalTitles15's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

41 point a game. 90+% red zone. Outscoring opponents by 30+ points a game.

He gets an A+ in my book.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!