Rate Doug Nussmeier at the halfway point

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
normally, i would expect a worn out opponent defense inthe fourth quarter. never did we do it once this year. he needs to mix it up a bit more and get introduced to sec brand of football. 3 and outs in the firstqtr is just hard to tolerate.

BRP3

Jun 16, 2012
Poor offensive game plan or just poor execution? I'm not really sure if Nuss actually called more running plays and AJ audible to pass plays or what? But with whatever it was, we still had a chance to win at the end with first and goal at the six yard line. I just knew we would stuff the ball down their throats four straight plays if necessary. Guess that's why I'm not a football coach. Really puzzled and disappointed. RTR

BAMAFEVER50

1st Team
Aug 17, 2008
MOODY, AL
I rate him a B. there seems to be good offensive balance and player development. I'm very impressed with our passing routes and feel execution is to blame on most busted plays. I do however think that diversification gets in the way of game flow and common sense. Sometimes let the road plowers up front do their thing.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Nussmeier's inexperience with SEC play shows when we're in trouble. He always relies on passing, when we should rely on our run more. He'll get better, but LSU and TAMU were setbacks.

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
I would say a B for the year- a D tonight though. Awful play calling at the end- made no sense. We shouldn't have lost this game- period. Johnny Football is a great player but come on now. Defense looked bad- AJ (again) didn't play like he has all year and Yeldon puts the ball on the ground in the 4th quarter again. Not that that is Doug's fault but just a disappointing performance from the top all the way down.

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
The only difference I see is that we go vertical more, of which I'm happy. I think our Secondary is just too tired and we are unable to get the stops late in the season. I give him an A-
The secondary is tired because of the offense going 3 and out. If you are blessed enough to have two of the premiere running backs in the country, use them. Simple fact of life is if we had ran the ball more tonight, we're still undefeated and ranked #1.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Nussmeier's inexperience with SEC play shows when we're in trouble. He always relies on passing, when we should rely on our run more. He'll get better, but LSU and TAMU were setbacks.
I don't it had anything to do with SEC play though. The play calling over the last two weeks would have been questioned in any conference.

I do agree that he will get better though. He seems to be thinking more like a QB coach than an OC right now.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I don't it had anything to do with SEC play though. The play calling over the last two weeks would have been questioned in any conference.

I do agree that he will get better though. He seems to be thinking more like a QB coach than an OC right now.
You can get by passing all the time the PAC 10 err..12. It just doesn't work in the SEC, though. I think we all can agree playcalling has been suspect and we simply need to run more. It would also help if we didn't fumble at critical times.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Agree.
It also seems we're stubbornly committed to "balance" or constantly trying to get the downfield pass, rather than adjusting to what is working in-game, when AJ's struggling. I think its the lack of adjustments thats a concern for me. From where I sit, it seems we've ran the ball really well in both the last two games but went away from it at key points. Hopefully Nuss and the team as a whole learns from it and finishes out the season strong.
We'll likely need a miracle to look beyond the SECCG at this point, but anything can happen and this team still has lot to play for; I'm disappointed but very proud of our guys and staff for a great season and effort.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Agree.
It also seems we're stubbornly committed to "balance" or constantly trying to get the downfield pass, rather than adjusting to what is working in-game, when AJ's struggling. I think its the lack of adjustments thats a concern for me. From where I sit, it seems we've ran the ball really well in both the last two games but went away from it at key points. Hopefully Nuss and the team as a whole learns from it and finishes out the season strong.
We'll likely need a miracle to look beyond the SECCG at this point, but anything can happen and this team still has lot to play for; I'm disappointed but very proud of our guys and staff for a great season and effort.
Me too. These kids have done awesome this year so far. I hate to lose but Bama will be back.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I miss Coach McElwaine.
Absence does make the heart grow fonder, but I remember many threads discussing how some weren't satisfied with the way McElwain was calling games as well. We forget because of all of the wins, but I remember many people who said that CJMcE was poor at calling plays in the red zone. It's all a matter of perspective

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.