Rate Doug Nussmeier at the halfway point

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
For the first time in my life I'm gonna say I like this offense better than the wishbone of the 1970's for me that is saying a lot.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
For the first time in my life I'm gonna say I like this offense better than the wishbone of the 1970's for me that is saying a lot.
I like how we're able to pass the ball without looking like an elk, or should I say an elephant ice skating. We look very comfortable chunkin' the ball around the sand lot. Stop our running game, okay, no big deal. We'll throw the ball five straight times. No biggie.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
One thing I heard early about Nuss is that all receivers are "live," meaning AJ can throw to anyone, whereas, in CJM's offense, only one receiver, other than the dumpoff, was really live, with the others being decoys. Had I heard it from anyone else, I would have laughed. After watching the passing offense this year, I'm inclined to think there's something to it. Whether what I was told was an exaggeration, or they trust AJ more or not, I don't know. I do know that, given time, the ball's going out to secondary receivers more often...
Sounds like how I coach Jr. High QBs. Not how I would expect a college O to work.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
B+ up from a B after the Tenn game.

We're still allowing opponents to get to McCarron too much.
And I want to see more TDs in red zone situations.
If I see improvements in those areas I'll upgrade him to an A.

I'm sure he's on edge of his seat waiting for feedback from an old curmudgeon like me :)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
B+ up from a B after the Tenn game.

We're still allowing opponents to get to McCarron too much.
And I want to see more TDs in red zone situations.
If I see improvements in those areas I'll upgrade him to an A.

I'm sure he's on edge of his seat waiting for feedback from an old curmudgeon like me :)
We're ranked 3rd in the country in red zone efficiency.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1038

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
No use really even evaluating at this point. He's done well, but he's got a lot of talent and experience at his disposal, and he has faced some bad defenses.

We'll see how he matches up with Chavis and, hopefully, Muschamp or Grantham. Anyone can hang 35+ on Tennessee, but you earn your money out-manuevering the big boys, and he hasn't been forced to do that yet.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
No use really even evaluating at this point. He's done well, but he's got a lot of talent and experience at his disposal, and he has faced some bad defenses.

We'll see how he matches up with Chavis and, hopefully, Muschamp or Grantham. Anyone can hang 35+ on Tennessee, but you earn your money out-manuevering the big boys, and he hasn't been forced to do that yet.
Well, I agree, of course, but we've certainly seen enough to start making some judgments about tendencies and the like. As I said above, the ball looks spread around a bit more, but I don't see any real sea changes from CJM's philosophy, and it's one which matches Saban's expectations. I guess Bebes is happy with what he sees. I remember when he used to rail about Homer's "extended handoff" offense and call for more downfield passing...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think we have only scratched the surface of what his play book might have to offer. I think this question might be better answered after LSU. I commend he and the staff for not creating an issue with a complete offensive scheme change. 7-0 with those numbers while losing many playmakers gets an A from me.
Yep!

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
One thing I heard early about Nuss is that all receivers are "live," meaning AJ can throw to anyone, whereas, in CJM's offense, only one receiver, other than the dumpoff, was really live, with the others being decoys. Had I heard it from anyone else, I would have laughed. After watching the passing offense this year, I'm inclined to think there's something to it. Whether what I was told was an exaggeration, or they trust AJ more or not, I don't know. I do know that, given time, the ball's going out to secondary receivers more often...
I find it hard to believe that CJM's offense only had 2 progressions, being the main receiver and the check down receiver. If that is the case, that type of offense is the exception and not the rule.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
I'd prefer address this at the end of the year after he's had a full season, but I think he's done very well overall; There has been some predictability in play-calling at times or maybe slow adjustments at times during the game. But I would attribute those issues to him just getting familiar with SEC play and meshing with what CNS wants to do.
I do like that we're even more balanced and have become a deep threat type offense as well, but some of that has been because of adjusting for the loss of Fowler and Hart early which affected our power run game a bit, and also the lack of a big play-maker at TE. I think the TE's are playing much more of a blocking role now, rather than being a big part of our receiving game.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think we also need to realize that for a defense to be considered a "test" for our offense the defense has to be dang good. To me that shows how far we've come and how much talent Saban has brought in. It wasn't too long ago that the opposition only had to have one "good player" to cause our offense havoc. I'd say the defense that showed up Saturday night would have made our offense struggle in 2010.

I think the biggest weakness this offense has is with speed rushers. DJ Fluker being one of the primary suspects in question of getting beat. Outside of that we've got the capability to beat a team in so many different ways. Even if we have to go to an additional TE (for protection) we're still a dangerous offense.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think we also need to realize that for a defense to be considered a "test" for our offense the defense has to be dang good. To me that shows how far we've come and how much talent Saban has brought in. It wasn't too long ago that the opposition only had to have one "good player" to cause our offense havoc. I'd say the defense that showed up Saturday night would have made our offense struggle in 2010.

I think the biggest weakness this offense has is with speed rushers. DJ Fluker being one of the primary suspects in question of getting beat. Outside of that we've got the capability to beat a team in so many different ways. Even if we have to go to an additional TE (for protection) we're still a dangerous offense.
I've concluded that quickness of feet, particularly size 17, can only be coached to a certain degree. Beyond that, it's on genetics. I think DJ is a guard at the NFL level, which is a shame, because he could make a lot more money at tackle, even right tackle...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I've concluded that quickness of feet, particularly size 17, can only be coached to a certain degree. Beyond that, it's on genetics. I think DJ is a guard at the NFL level, which is a shame, because he could make a lot more money at tackle, even right tackle...
That is why I fully anticipate a TE or "help" for Fluke will be integrated into the game plan for November 3rd. It almost has to be. There's no way he can handle LSU's speed rushers by himself. We will need to chip or put another body down there beside him or AJ might end up on his back more times than not.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
That is why I fully anticipate a TE or "help" for Fluke will be integrated into the game plan for November 3rd. It almost has to be. There's no way he can handle LSU's speed rushers by himself. We will need to chip or put another body down there beside him or AJ might end up on his back more times than not.
One word: Screen

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I tend to agree with you on the ultimate NFL projection. Fluker has looked bad this year against quicker guys, and that is the name of the game in the NFL. My thinking is if you are struggling in pass protection in the SEC West, as good as those guys might be, you're never going to make it happen in the NFC East.

Good news for Fluker is two-fold:

(1) He might not be able to play tackle in the long-run, but that's not to say that a team wouldn't give him a lot of money and the chance to do it. In fact, I'd bet some GM / OL coach would look at the raw potential from the frame and be arrogant enough that they could teach him. I doubt he slips far out of the first round, if even that, for that reason alone.

(2) Even if he kind of struggles a bit in the NFL, he's got the frame to be a legitimate combo tackle-guard type, and guys like that can play forever in the NFL. With NFL gameday roster restrictions, you can only carry seven linemen, so the two back-ups have to be versatile enough to play inside or out, and Fluker could do that. You can find guys like that out there that stick around for 10-12 years, even though they weren't that good in the first place, and make a ton of money just because there is such a high value on versatility with the reserve linemen.

Last edited:

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
A-

I think the Fowler injury has had a big impact on what he's wanted to do. Having Fowler back next year will change how the offense looks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.