Rate Doug Nussmeier at the halfway point

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
It's to early to do a thorough evaluation but if he wasn't very good I think it'd be more apparent.

I'm to lazy to compile stats on the offense vs previous years and don't think that is the best way to evaluate his impact as the offensive coordinator.

Red zone offense seems to have improved although AJ gives the advantage of an experienced QB.

It may be until we see the next QB to lead Alabama before we can judge Nussmeier fairly.

So far I give him an A.
:BigA:

--------------------------
side note - I like what i see from Brent Pease at Florida.

Muschamp was right to lock him up before Saban could talk to him.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I agree on giving him a A. To be honest, I have not noticed a lot of difference between his and Mc's play calling except we are not doing wildcat and we are using a fullback this year. I am please that he is getting the ball in Eddie, TJ and Amari's hands and that is a very good thing.

BAMAFEVER50

1st Team
Aug 17, 2008
MOODY, AL
I think we have only scratched the surface of what his play book might have to offer. I think this question might be better answered after LSU. I commend he and the staff for not creating an issue with a complete offensive scheme change. 7-0 with those numbers while losing many playmakers gets an A from me.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
I think we have only scratched the surface of what his play book might have to offer. I think this question might be better answered after LSU. I commend he and the staff for not creating an issue with a complete offensive scheme change. 7-0 with those numbers while losing many playmakers gets an A from me.
Agreed. A

MasterGracey

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 24, 2011
B-.

That said, it is sometimes unfair to attribute perceived failings to the OC, when there could certainly be lapses by players. I think it is a mixture of both, but play calling seems predictable at times.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't see how it can't be an A. Our playcalling is about as aggressive as I've seen in 20 years of watching the Crimson Tide. We attack the defense just as aggressive through the air as we do on the ground. We're not afraid to throw the ball down field. We force the defense to cover all parts of the field. He gets an A in my book.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One thing I heard early about Nuss is that all receivers are "live," meaning AJ can throw to anyone, whereas, in CJM's offense, only one receiver, other than the dumpoff, was really live, with the others being decoys. Had I heard it from anyone else, I would have laughed. After watching the passing offense this year, I'm inclined to think there's something to it. Whether what I was told was an exaggeration, or they trust AJ more or not, I don't know. I do know that, given time, the ball's going out to secondary receivers more often...

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
A+ for breaking the tradition of having a low scoring offense. Very explosive offense at Bama right now.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Right now I would give him an A but the truth is the two biggest tests for the offense (on schedule right now) are upcoming. We'll know very soon if we have a quality OC.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
For me our offense will not have to continue scoring 35+ pts/game for him to keep an A. I doubt we score that against LSU. But playcalling in big game situations will be what I'm looking at. So far it hasn't mattered who we've played he calls very aggressive plays.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.