Regarding Auburn and Chizik...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I plan to do kind of a story on this (and Kentucky and Arkansas) soon, but here's what I am hearing about the Auburn job.

I'm not ruling out Petrino to Auburn, but I've spoken with some folks in the past few weeks, and I would rate Petrino going there as unlikely. I'm not even sure they're going to can Chizik at this point. But if that happens, I don't think you're going to see Petrino there. I'm hearing they will be looking for a discipline-minded coach, and would prefer someone who can make good on this experiment to play power football. There is a preference among some to go back to the spread, but discipline will be the primary concern no matter what the offense looks like. What I got from that is that, like Oklahoma State and Tennessee before them, AU has had all it can stand of Trooper Taylor.

Also, from a writer I know in Florida, Loeffler's departure down there with Steve Addazio to Temple a few years back may or may not have been completely voluntary (i.e., he would have been asked to leave even if Urban Meyer had come back). The exact quote was "he was the worst coach I've ever been around." If Chizik comes back, I fully expect a new OC for them. They'd better, anyway.

And how many people remember that Saban talked to Loeffler about a staff opening in 2008 before hiring McElwain? **shudder**

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
Even though this season has been a dumpster fire, I still have the feeling they're going to keep Chizik for at least one more year and clean house elsewhere.
Chizik's buyout is high but it will drop a couple mil next year. I also think they will give him one more year.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Even though this season has been a dumpster fire, I still have the feeling they're going to keep Chizik for at least one more year and clean house elsewhere.
It goes back to Tuberville... When he got in trouble, he always fired his coordinators,
and avoided the ax himself.
I wouldn't be surprised if Auburn gave 'Cheese Dip' one more chance...
I'm sure Auburn can look in the bottom of the barrel and find someone desperate enough
to come there for one year.
I say one year, because unless they buy another Scam, Chizik should be out of there next year, when Auburn ponies up enough money to send him packing.
Never thought I'd say it, but I'm really gonna miss 'Cheese Dip', when he's gone. ;) NOT...

Last edited:

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
I'll be beyond shocked if Chizik is back next year. He's in bad shape right now and he hasn't even been blown out by A&M, Georgia, and Alabama yet. There is no way they are keeping him around after an 0-8 SEC record.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
it's a no win situation for Aurubren because if you let Chiz go, Trooper will be gone thus losing the recruits they have onboard right now. Keep Chiz, you keep some of those good recruits but Chiz is coaching them which means he's not coaching them. they may as well be on probation

bnhonest

All-SEC
May 28, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Al, USA
Its funny how the tides have turned in this drama this weekend. Prior to this weekend, it seemed that all the fambly wanted him out but the national media felt he should be given a pass. But after losing to Vandy, the realization that they are going 0-8 in SEC play has turned the opinion of the national guys. Now they all expect him to go. But at the same time, it seems that aubie nation has changed their stance and want to give him another year. I do think that will change when they lose to UGA and we blast them off the field.

If he is given a pass, I do think it will hurt their recruiting efforts more than they realize. He will then be under do-or-die circumstances, and the now popular belief is that he really cant do. They will be putting off the inevitable.

edit:I also believe football fans are waiting on the shoe to drop and pressure will begin to mount for someone official to say something regarding the Chiz staying or going. Not putting a statement out there will be leaving fans and recruits in limbo.

Last edited:

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado
....they may as well be on probation
I've heard this comment made before, but this is sooooo much better than probation.

If they were on probation they would unify against the the "unjustified persecution" of the NCAA, REC, or NWO as "having it in for them" and it'd be an "us against the world" mentality. With what they're actually going through it's them against them and they're eating their own while circling the drain saying "where are we going and what's with the pipe and all the turds in the water?".

It's glorious to behold.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If they were on probation that would be an "acceptable" excuse for their losing and it would be our "fault."

This is much better.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I tend to think that au will retain Chizik for another year, but desperate people will do desperate things. Like so many have said, who and where are they going to find a decent HC who will lay down with Lowder, Dye, et al? One or both of their coordinators will be the scapegoat for this season. Tough times on the plains.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There will be a huge cost to removing Chizik and his coaching staff. There is some logic to their part in keeping him around another year. It would be almost impossible to be this bad again, and it might not be so daunting for another coach to take the reigns of a 6 or 7 win team vs. the catastrophe they appear to be. It takes effort for Auburn to lose this many games and if they make some adjustments they should still be bowl eligible next year.

Personally, I'd say it's probably 50/50 chance of their firing Chizik, or if they just make sacrificial lambs of a few assistants and hope that gets things back on track. 247 still has their recruiting class ranked as 6th. I'm sure they will lose some players, but losing Trooper and Chizik and all that will no doubt hurt their recruiting class.

Then, of course you have the fact that only so many coaches would want to touch this situation and the possibility of a couple other high profile openings (Tennessee and Texas to name a couple). You'd have to be reluctant to take a job at a school that fires a coach two years removed from a championship, and it's not a good situation to basically be told you HAVE to win against Alabama and LSU to keep your job.

Honestly, I'm guessing a lot of people at Auburn are realizing that it might be in their best interest just to tough it out. You fire everyone and you're out a lot of money, you will lose a chunk of a highly ranked recruiting class, and your chances of a top tier coach are slim. But, if you can soldier through another season, you can bring in the class, buyouts will be cheaper, and the situation might not look quite as bad.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
I'm starting to think they keep him unless they lose to Alabama A&M and/or New Mexico State.

On that angle, has any SEC team ever lost to a SWAC opponent? I don't THINK it will happen, but they will likely be coming off a severe beating by Georgia with Alabama the next week. As bad and thin as they are, they can't overlook anyone.

Edited to add - I don't think Petrino's going to Auburn even if they wanted him. As is the case with most successful coaches (and integrity issues aside, he has been very successful) he will demand to be the guy in charge and AU's meddlers will never agree to it.

Last edited:

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I tend to think that au will retain Chizik for another year, but desperate people will do desperate things. Like so many have said, who and where are they going to find a decent HC who will lay down with Lowder, Dye, et al? One or both of their coordinators will be the scapegoat for this season. Tough times on the plains.
I think a lot of us forget about this^^^^^ you are thinking Normal & API does not think Normal! WHO would want to work in these conditions. With the greatest respect to our Leader, King of all Sports Boards & the most Mightest on High dictator, Jess I don't see Troopa & Loopa going anywhere even with a New Coach. It just API's culture & if the plan to change the culture at API it does not START with Troopa it starts with Pat Dye. When you see them tell him to hit the road you will see the start of change.

My best guess is they keep Cheeze fire the OC then go & BUY another JUCO QB it's cheaper & they already have the blueprint of how to get away with it.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia

I tend to agree with this. Not sure they'll get rid of Cheeznips this year. Kind of think it'll depend on who they think they might can get to fill the HC position.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Who would want to coach there anyway? If they don't keep the Chizzer, it could end up worse. I for one will pitch in to help pay his salary if they keep him.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I was listening to the OD this morning and del greco had a great one. "It's only his 6th year as a head coach, he is still learning." Now that is a good one there although it is coming from Al Del Greco who stated "no comment" when ask his opinion of the hiring of chiznik. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
It's going to be interesting to see what happens. If AU goes 0-8 in the SEC (very likely), and if they lose big to UGA and Bama (also very likely), and finish the season with the worst record in 60 years, they may clean house. They aren't with out talent. They've had good recruiting classes. They just haven't done anything to develop the talent. Giving Chizik another year won't change that.

I tend to believe they'll allow him to fire the OC and give him one more year. But it may come down to how badly they lose to UGA and Bama. If they get blown out by aTm and UGA, barely squeak by AL A&M, then get embarrassed by Bama, it may be more than they can stomach.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It's going to be interesting to see what happens. If AU goes 0-8 in the SEC (very likely), and if they lose big to UGA and Bama (also very likely), and finish the season with the worst record in 60 years, they may clean house. They aren't with out talent. They've had good recruiting classes. They just haven't done anything to develop the talent. Giving Chizik another year won't change that.

I tend to believe they'll allow him to fire the OC and give him one more year. But it may come down to how badly they lose to UGA and Bama. If they get blown out by aTm and UGA, barely squeak by AL A&M, then get embarrassed by Bama, it may be more than they can stomach.
i think they give georgia a run for their money. georgia has train wreck written all over them this year, and richt seems like he doesn't even want to be there anymore.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.