Link: Recruiting From the Top Creates Own Challenges (Rivals article on Bama recruiting)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: Recruiting From the Top

That is an awesome article and just reminds us we have the best in the business right now at evaluation and implementation!

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

I think the take on Mack Brown is very telling. It only takes a smidgen of laziness or complacency to make a huge difference at top levels.
So much of Texas' issues are development related as much as anything else, but some of Mack Brown's decisions have crippled the program in some areas, especially on the offensive line. Taking some low-lying fruit so early in the recruiting process has caused some to wonder if the prospects they take early lose a little of the fire in their belly before they arrive in Austin. I think Mack will tell you that he takes kids that are dying to be Longhorns, but some will say he just likes prospects that are willing to say, "Yes!" very quickly when offered

TideFaninSoFla

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 5, 2007

Great article! Thank you for sharing. I can't believe more coaches haven't stumbled on the idea of recruiting needs over the number of stars a high school kid has behind his name... The fact that Bama routinely recruits needs that HAPPEN to have more stars is proof that we are doing something right. Well, that and the fact that we are regularly in the hunt now for the SEC and National Championships... I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that even the lower ranked kids that come here seem to be developed enough to get the big contracts in the NFL lately...

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Great article! Thank you for sharing. I can't believe more coaches haven't stumbled on the idea of recruiting needs over the number of stars a high school kid has behind his name... The fact that Bama routinely recruits needs that HAPPEN to have more stars is proof that we are doing something right. Well, that and the fact that we are regularly in the hunt now for the SEC and National Championships... I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that even the lower ranked kids that come here seem to be developed enough to get the big contracts in the NFL lately...

IMO. I think more have tried adopting the model CNS has built. The problem is they can't identify, evaluate and develop on the same level as CNS. Quite frankly I don't think there's anyone else out there who can. The guy is a recruiting machine, a master planner and a great teacher.

RTR!!!

TideFaninSoFla

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 5, 2007
IMO. I think more have tried adopting the model CNS has built. The problem is they can't identify, evaluate and develop on the same level as CNS. Quite frankly I don't think there's anyone else out there who can. The guy is a recruiting machine, a master planner and a great teacher.

RTR!!!
Very good point. I think you are right.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Coaches prefer to make decision on athletes after seeing them in a camp. Bama gets most great players to attend their camps. Why? Because of your success. Alabama was not getting this sort of camp attendance 6 years ago. So, Saban and staff see more players in camp, which leads to better decisions in their choice of the players to offer.

Some schools have to rely on film. Alabama does not.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
someone needs to post this in CNS's office, and all the Coaches' offices:

The last line from Mike Ferrell (in the sidebar):

""Nothing Alabama is doing right now is unprecedented," he said. "And they won't win forever and they won't win in recruiting forever. Something will slow the train down and someone will step in quickly.""

Time to change the rules...CNS and Co. will do it!

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL

Coaches prefer to make decision on athletes after seeing them in a camp. Bama gets most great players to attend their camps. Why? Because of your success. Alabama was not getting this sort of camp attendance 6 years ago. So, Saban and staff see more players in camp, which leads to better decisions in their choice of the players to offer.

Some schools have to rely on film. Alabama does not.
VERY good points!

BTW, and not to hijack the thread, but how are you feeling against PSU? They're playing remarkably well....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

VERY good points!

BTW, and not to hijack the thread, but how are you feeling against PSU? They're playing remarkably well....
We win if Miller is completely healthy, but all bets are off if his head isn't clear. I am not convinced that he did not suffer from a concussion last weekend. That was a scary tackle.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.