Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    BamaNation First Team rrbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    270
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

    Recruiting From the Top Creates Own Challenges (Rivals article on Bama recruiting)

    BamaRon13

  2. Advertisement
  3. #2
    BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recruiting From the Top

    That is an awesome article and just reminds us we have the best in the business right now at evaluation and implementation!

  4. #3
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lake Charles, Louisiana
    Posts
    5,829
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

    Re: Recruiting From the Top

    I think the take on Mack Brown is very telling. It only takes a smidgen of laziness or complacency to make a huge difference at top levels.
    So much of Texas' issues are development related as much as anything else, but some of Mack Brown's decisions have crippled the program in some areas, especially on the offensive line. Taking some low-lying fruit so early in the recruiting process has caused some to wonder if the prospects they take early lose a little of the fire in their belly before they arrive in Austin. I think Mack will tell you that he takes kids that are dying to be Longhorns, but some will say he just likes prospects that are willing to say, "Yes!" very quickly when offered
    “In the South everybody’s got a story, a long, elaborate, rambling, subordinate-clause-filled, possibly even entirely made-up story.”

    —Diane Roberts, quoted in book review by Jay Watson
    in The Southern Register, Fall 2009

  5. #4
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Recruiting From the Top

    Great article! Thank you for sharing. I can't believe more coaches haven't stumbled on the idea of recruiting needs over the number of stars a high school kid has behind his name... The fact that Bama routinely recruits needs that HAPPEN to have more stars is proof that we are doing something right. Well, that and the fact that we are regularly in the hunt now for the SEC and National Championships... I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that even the lower ranked kids that come here seem to be developed enough to get the big contracts in the NFL lately...

  6. #5
    BamaNation First Team CrimSonami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ardmore, AL; Too close to 10RC
    Posts
    738
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy on TideFans.com

    Re: Recruiting From the Top

    Quote Originally Posted by TideFaninSoFla View Post
    Great article! Thank you for sharing. I can't believe more coaches haven't stumbled on the idea of recruiting needs over the number of stars a high school kid has behind his name... The fact that Bama routinely recruits needs that HAPPEN to have more stars is proof that we are doing something right. Well, that and the fact that we are regularly in the hunt now for the SEC and National Championships... I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that even the lower ranked kids that come here seem to be developed enough to get the big contracts in the NFL lately...

    IMO. I think more have tried adopting the model CNS has built. The problem is they can't identify, evaluate and develop on the same level as CNS. Quite frankly I don't think there's anyone else out there who can. The guy is a recruiting machine, a master planner and a great teacher.

    RTR!!!

  7. #6
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    IMO. I think more have tried adopting the model CNS has built. The problem is they can't identify, evaluate and develop on the same level as CNS. Quite frankly I don't think there's anyone else out there who can. The guy is a recruiting machine, a master planner and a great teacher.

    RTR!!!
    Very good point. I think you are right.

  8. #7
    BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,977
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: Recruiting From the Top

    Coaches prefer to make decision on athletes after seeing them in a camp. Bama gets most great players to attend their camps. Why? Because of your success. Alabama was not getting this sort of camp attendance 6 years ago. So, Saban and staff see more players in camp, which leads to better decisions in their choice of the players to offer.

    Some schools have to rely on film. Alabama does not.

  9. #8
    BamaNation All-American crimsonbleeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    2,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Psychedelic on TideFans.com

    Re: Recruiting From the Top Creates Own Challenges (Rivals article on Bama recruitin

    someone needs to post this in CNS's office, and all the Coaches' offices:

    The last line from Mike Ferrell (in the sidebar):

    ""Nothing Alabama is doing right now is unprecedented," he said. "And they won't win forever and they won't win in recruiting forever. Something will slow the train down and someone will step in quickly.""

    Time to change the rules...CNS and Co. will do it!
    "No invention in history has been more successful in the collection and display of stupidity than the Internet. "

    -Mike Herndon, Press-Register 8/20/08

  10. #9
    BamaNation All-American crimsonbleeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    2,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Psychedelic on TideFans.com

    Re: Recruiting From the Top

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Coaches prefer to make decision on athletes after seeing them in a camp. Bama gets most great players to attend their camps. Why? Because of your success. Alabama was not getting this sort of camp attendance 6 years ago. So, Saban and staff see more players in camp, which leads to better decisions in their choice of the players to offer.

    Some schools have to rely on film. Alabama does not.
    VERY good points!

    BTW, and not to hijack the thread, but how are you feeling against PSU? They're playing remarkably well....
    "No invention in history has been more successful in the collection and display of stupidity than the Internet. "

    -Mike Herndon, Press-Register 8/20/08

  11. #10
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Recruiting From the Top Creates Own Challenges (Rivals article on Bama recruitin

    Tuscaloosa is sexy?

  12. #11
    BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,977
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: Recruiting From the Top

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonbleeder View Post
    VERY good points!

    BTW, and not to hijack the thread, but how are you feeling against PSU? They're playing remarkably well....
    We win if Miller is completely healthy, but all bets are off if his head isn't clear. I am not convinced that he did not suffer from a concussion last weekend. That was a scary tackle.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!