Question: Analyze LSU

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I just get the feeling that their offense is going to look a lot like pre-Jordan Jefferson on November 5. I think we force several turnovers from Mettenburger but the key will be starting fast and furious on offense.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
This^^^^.

This Saturday IS THEIR season. Has been since January 10th of this year. This game is more than a game to get to the SECCG or the BCSCG. This is about so much more to them.

Over the last decade, with LSU's rise to the one of the elites of college football, much of their fan base has felt that as a football program, they have surpassed Alabama. This mostly comes from the bandwagon fans who jumped on board in the early 2000's. You don't get this type attitude from the old school, long in the tooth fans. They are much, much more knowledgeable. But a lot of their fan base is made up of these bandwagon fans. So what happened on January 9th was inconceivable. That COULD NOT of happened under "normal" circumstances. So this game is about "setting the record straight". I also think the rest of Les' support rides on this game, and I think he and his players know that. I have no doubts CNS will have a gameplan ready. But I just hope our players and our staff understand that to the LSU folks this is much, much more than a game leading to a championship. This is very, very personal.
Agree, BB...I've read their boards over the course of the season and they have seem to have Bama threads daily; also early on in the season, there were quite a few rumblings amongst their fans expressing their angst of how Les is bumbling things with Chavis getting much of the credit for them being as good as they are. That fan base will have a major, major come-apart if they lose this game because they've been obsessed with this game since Jan.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Agree, BB...I've read their boards over the course of the season and they have seem to have Bama threads daily; also early on in the season, there were quite a few rumblings amongst their fans expressing their angst of how Les is bumbling things with Chavis getting much of the credit for them being as good as they are. That fan base will have a major, major come-apart if they lose this game because they've been obsessed with this game since Jan.
Oh yeah. They (as a fan base) got utterly embarrassed. Granted, much of the fuel they added with all the "greatest college football team of all time" and all the trash talking hype they put on last year's team. Only to have "the greatest college football team of all time" have their draws snatched down in front of God and everybody and have their butts kicked. This is a must win for their program with regards to support for Les and his staff going forward. They lose this game and what support is still left for Les in Baton Rouge will likely be gone.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Oh yeah. They (as a fan base) got utterly embarrassed. Granted, much of the fuel they added with all the "greatest college football team of all time" and all the trash talking hype they put on last year's team. Only to have "the greatest college football team of all time" have their draws snatched down in front of God and everybody and have their butts kicked. This is a must win for their program with regards to support for Les and his staff going forward. They lose this game and what support is still left for Les in Baton Rouge will likely be gone.
This is what an uninformed and overzealous fan base can do to a very successful program. After Alabama dominated LSU in the BCSCG, people started questioning everything that Miles and his staff were doing. Bobby Hebert called Miles out in a press conference after the game, demanding an explanation for the decision not to go to their other QB options. He and every other LSU fan wanted to know why Zach wasn't brought in. He was their savior, and he wasn't used.

Well, we have seen first hand this season what Miles saw last year - and we now know without a doubt why Zach was not allowed to play in that game. But the damage was done back in January. The fans lost confidence and starting throwing stones.

Miles did not suddenly forget how to coach football, nor did his coaching staff. But the fans forgot what it means to support their program. They are killing themselves.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I remember for last year's game there were a few times where we brought in a third tackle. What was the thinking there and what were we trying to accomplish with that?

Also, I gotta think we show some new wrinkle on offense this game ... we did last year. Who has a good guess?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I remember for last year's game there were a few times where we brought in a third tackle. What was the thinking there and what were we trying to accomplish with that?

Also, I gotta think we show some new wrinkle on offense this game ... we did last year. Who has a good guess?
The third tackle is all about establishing dominance at where you attack the LOS (Or at least making people think that's where you are attacking). Larger individual, another blocker, outflanking the d, you name it.

Blake Sims is the wrinkle. Zone read, qb keepers, all the stuff running qbs do that hasn't been done around here lately.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Bamabw

Suspended
Oct 14, 2011
This game will be a defensive battle as usual. Bama pulls away in 2nd half and wins by 21. My only worry is keeping AJ healthy throughout this game as lsu's defensive ends can freaking get to QB's.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Looks like we have the statistical advantage.

Perhaps they have the motivational advantage.

BUT, as we saw last week, you gotta do more than just believe.

I think the key for Bama is coming out strong in the first quarter and getting a lead. We do that, and let's just say we force several three and outs in the first quarter on the O and the wheels that have been taped back on since Jan. 9 might just start coming off again!

RollTideHG

Scout Team
Aug 29, 2005
Meridianville, Alabama
Has anyone considered that we might see QB Rob Bolden in this game considering how much CLM loves to run the option against us? I'm not sure how well it would work given how Rob Bolden has played against us in the past, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him play Saturday night.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
Looks like we have the statistical advantage.

Perhaps they have the motivational advantage.

BUT, as we saw last week, you gotta do more than just believe.

I think the key for Bama is coming out strong in the first quarter and getting a lead. We do that, and let's just say we force several three and outs in the first quarter on the O and the wheels that have been taped back on since Jan. 9 might just start coming off again!
Like you said, on paper Bama should own them. The only way I see LSU moving the ball on Bama is on the ground. Their passing game is inept.

On the flipside, their D is legit. They will try to follow whatever feeble blueprint all the other teams that we have beaten like a drum have done to this point and that's to stop our running game and make AJ beat them. So far, AJ has made most teams pay for that. However, LSU can stack up with us man for man and it will probably be a struggle at times.

I am always nervous about nightgames at Death Valley. Their crowd will be a factor unless we jump on them early.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
We all know what we do best here at Bama, and we all know what LSU's strengths are. I think the biggest factor in the game is how weak their QB Mettenberger is. No one really wants to say it, but he's one of the worst starting QB's in the SEC, and especially if he gets rattled early or has to move out of the pocket. Kind of reminds me of that tall goofy big arm QB that Arky had a few years ago (name escapes me). Make him move even a little out of his comfort zone, and he's toast. I look for our LB's and DB's to have a record night with INT's. If we stack the box, netralize their run game, and play man to man and make him try to beat us, we'll have a field day.

We all know the mystique of a night game at LSU has little to no effect when the opponent is Alabama. Other teams may have had nightmares with it, but not us. Baton Rouge is almost like home to the Tide!

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Not too worried about our D vs. their O. We should hold them pretty well, though I expect they'll gain more yards than anyone has this year. The other way, Fluker cannot get beat on the edge speed rush. LSU is excellent at this. If he does, it could be miserable for us. Otherwise, we need to just take what they give us. I like the match up of Williams (who should have his own motivation) against their LBs and Safeties.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Florida really exploited counters and misdirection on their LBs. I don't feel reverses are something we have done well in the past - I think that Capital One Bowl run by Julio is about the only explosive play generated out of the handful of attempts - but we have done well with the counter cutback on the stretch zone plays. I anticipate we'll try a reverse or two but we'll try to get their LBs out of their run fits with that counter stretch.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Considering Miles and company left the BCS game in a funk...
They have had most of a year to prepare to play us. Believe me when I tell you that their prep work
for the Bama game has been thru Spring Training, Fall Camp and continues.
We will see the best LSU has to offer.

That said... We stack the line and dare them to throw the ball.
They will stack the line like they did in last years BCS Game, and AJ will have a chance to eat them up
with short passes... Yeldon & Lacy will be stuffed early, but after we pass some our running game
can begin to grind them down.
I'll almost bet if it comes down to a game of Field Goals, that we do better than we did in regular
season against them last year. Shouldn't be that close.
We may not be what we were last year, but LSU falls way short of where they were last year... RTR.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
All the stats, the eyeball test, the intensity, the X's and O's, Jimmy's and Joe's, etc, tell me we win this one 28-10 (give or take a FG) but still ................... I have a bad nagging feeling we could lose this one ......... and I want that feeling to go away.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I like the stats. LSU has had this game circled for a year, but I don't think they win.

We have the better Quarter back.
We have the better Running Backs.
We have the better coach.
We may have a stronger line too...

If our OL gives AJ time we win.
If our OL gives TJ of Eddie room, we win.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.