Question: We know about our pass blocking concerns. But does LSU have pass protection issues?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think we realize we have pass protection concerns from our tackles. It seems the LSU locals are bringing this up as well. It was mentioned several times on our local sports talk radio yesterday and this morning.

But my question is this. With LSU playing with a patchwork offensive line is their pass protection a concern as well? Are we the only ones going to have to worry about protecting the quarterback Saturday night?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
The combinations we were tinkering with against MSU seemed to ramp up our harassment of MSU....and a pretty solid OL, I might add.

Devall played with his hand down some and if we can keep LSU in passing situations, we'll see a lot of Devall and Dickson on the edges.

JustJim

Scout Team
Dec 5, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
I think they do as well; but I look at this from a little different angle. I think Bama wants LSU to throw the ball, so I look for us to shut down the run and make Mettenberger throw from a collapsing pocket.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
Against Fla, Mettenberger was 11 of 25 for 158 yards, with one INT, but was not sacked.

Against SC, Mettenberger was 12 of 25 for 148 yards, with one INT, but was not sacked.

I seem to remember he was pressured and hurried pretty often, and made bad throws off his back foot.

I believe that they have more problems than we do. The line they have us patchwork and although those guys are good, they'll have communication problems. That's not good for them against the best of defenses. I see us stuffing the run AND getting to the QB on plenty of occasions. Look for Duvall, Stinson and Hubbard to be big in this game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
We have to shut down the run game and get them behind the down and distance in order to force them into passing situations.

LSU has had more success running the ball on Nick Saban's defense than any other team. To me, that's the key. If they are consistently getting 4, 5, 6 yards a carry then we are in trouble. By trouble, I simply mean a 4 quarter brawl. Not necessarily that it guarantees we lose.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
With all of the weeping and gnashing of teeth on Tiger Droppings about all of their injuries - esp to their offensive line, I'd have to admit that their younguns have held up remarkably well.

I expected their supposedly depleted OL to be exploited by Clowney and South Carolina, as well as by A&M, but their backups acquitted themselves very well.

We will have to bring our A game Saturday night...

RTR!!!

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
With all of the weeping and gnashing of teeth on Tiger Droppings about all of their injuries - esp to their offensive line, I'd have to admit that their younguns have held up remarkably well.

I expected their supposedly depleted OL to be exploited by Clowney and South Carolina, as well as by A&M, but their backups acquitted themselves very well.

We will have to bring our A game Saturday night...

RTR!!!
Clowney caused them some problems, but not nearly as much as I expected...

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
When Idaho and North Texas were knocking Metterberger around like a rag doll.....what do you think Vinny, CJ, Dickson, Stinson, and BIG JESSE are gonna do to him? LOL.....I can't wait!!! You can call me a homer all you want, but this game will be similar to the last two games, maybe a little closer, but not that close!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
From the internet chatter and local sports talk radio. It seems the who's are confident they'll be able to run the ball at points in the game, with the caveat that Mett MUST complete SOME passes. But if he's having one of his more off games than usual they won't score.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
From the internet chatter and local sports talk radio. It seems the who's are confident they'll be able to run the ball at points in the game, with the caveat that Mett MUST complete SOME passes. But if he's having one of his more off games than usual they won't score.
He looks like he plays scared to me and he's seen nothing compared to what he'll see Saturday...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
He looks like he plays scared to me and he's seen nothing compared to what he'll see Saturday...
Though I wouldn't put it passed Les not to make any changes. I just have to think they have installed an "everything but the kitchen sink" type mentality going into this game. Whether it be from the defensive side of the ball to the offensive side of the ball. They have to do something different than what they have been getting by on in the previous seven wins. But as one caller this morning said. It wouldn't shock him one bit if Les came into this game and played it JUST LIKE he has the previous eight. That's just how unpredictable he is, and I agree with him. LOL!

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
Though I wouldn't put it passed Les not to make any changes. I just have to think they have installed an "everything but the kitchen sink" type mentality going into this game. Whether it be from the defensive side of the ball to the offensive side of the ball. They have to do something different than what they have been getting by on in the previous seven wins. But as one caller this morning said. It wouldn't shock him one bit if Les came into this game and played it JUST LIKE he has the previous eight. That's just how unpredictable he is, and I agree with him. LOL!
I really really really hope they run a gadget play and we burn them on it.
Like that freakish fake punt against Fla back in 2007 (?), when the ball bounced right into their RB's hands.
I want the ball to bounce right into CJ Mosley's hands and watch him take it 80 for a TD.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
LSU runs max protect when they are in obvious passing situations. They normally only have only 2 wideouts, all day to throw & no open receiver unless a DB just falls asleep. As long as we cover the TE or RB slipping out of the max protect scheme we should be fine, although I wouldn't look for a lot of sacks. I believe Muttenchops low completion % comes from the lack of open receivers as much as it does his inaccuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bamabw

Suspended
Oct 14, 2011
lsu had receivers open all day against texas a&m d-backs...especially the long ball, but mettenchoad could not connect as he has terrible accuracy on the long ball. I do not think Bama's d-backs will allow receivers open as often as tamu did...

markenk

1st Team
Aug 3, 2003
England
Well, MSU coaching staff got one thing right in their offensive philosophy. If you are going to throw, you have to attack the sidelines against our defense with timing throws. It's really tough to throw down the middle against us because we have a pretty good LB corps who can cover very deep and we also bring pressure from the middle very well against pocket passers.

I personally think that LSU will come out throwing short passes using misdirections and their TEs / backs, so it really doesn't matter how our pass rush is going to be. I think LSU will count on the fact that some of our players will be too amped up, and use that against us early in the game.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think we realize we have pass protection concerns from our tackles. It seems the LSU locals are bringing this up as well. It was mentioned several times on our local sports talk radio yesterday and this morning.

But my question is this. With LSU playing with a patchwork offensive line is their pass protection a concern as well? Are we the only ones going to have to worry about protecting the quarterback Saturday night?
USCe didn't show up on either side of the ball against LSU and they still only lost by 2. LSU's played one good defense and one good offense losing to one and playing a close one with the other.

I have no doubt we'll "affect" LSU's QB and I have no doubt we'll have a game plan for LSU's defense.

Other than LSU 's 4 DLine positions, who are veterans, they have 6 "true" freshman either starting or part of their 2 deep at LB or DB. If you go 3 deep you can add 5 more plus 2 redshirt freshman. That's a young defense and hopefully will be exploited.

LSU's is also starting a true freshman at offensive RT.

Considering LSU's youth, especially on defense, if we lose this game it'll be because our guys played extremely poorly, our coaches do a terrible job or both.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm sure you saw the "throw the kitchen sink at them" thread on Droppings. I thought the funniest reply was "unfortunately, it would be overthrown five yards..."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.