Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2013 QB

2013 QB

Hi, I've read this forum for a while but never posted. I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer, so I'll it here: If A.J. leaves for the NFL after this season, who is going to play quarterback? It seems like people think Simms is the guy who would play if A.J. was hurt this year, but all I've ever seen him do is run it for the most part.

2. Advertisement

Re: 2013 QB

Blake Sims
    Philip Ely
    Alec Morris
    Cooper Bateman
    or Parker McCleod

Either of those guys. My guess is Ely. Coach doesn't typically play a QB that he's not comfortable with managing the offense, no matter how talented. Of that group, in terms of pure QB talent, my personal order would be: Bateman, Morris, Sims, Ely, McCleod. But more than likely, it would be Ely since he's pocket passer that's been in the system the longest. I think what Blake does is great for what we have with a stable full of backs and a great offensive line; that doesn't do our receivers any good.

So while we're not sure if AJ will be gone, we can rest assured that 4 of the 5 offensive line starters will be gone. Thankfully, we'll have an even more embarrassment of riches at the running back position. So we'll probably lean heavily on those RBs to help out our young QB and our young offensive linemen who should be great at run blocking by then (since when they've been in every game this year, all we're doing is running). I guess we go with Ely, although, personally, I'd like to see Bateman.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

any answer is pure speculation. of course the guys competing would be Ely, Sims, and Morris. One of those guys will get the nod by seasons end.

BamaNation First Team dadleyblane5's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Aj's not leaving....I believe he'll be with us one more year.

BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by dadleyblane5 View Post
    Aj's not leaving....I believe he'll be with us one more year.
    This is what I keep saying, too. I just don't see AJ going high enough in this years draft to make it worth his while.

Certainly would love to have him back for one more year.

Thanks for the replies.

I hope A.J. doesn't go, but I kind of think he will. I don't see what he's going to do next year that would increase his draft stock. Although, I don't know how many QBs are projected to come out this year versus next.

AJ goes. His numbers won't go up next year and he will be at his highest value coming off the NC. He only has one 300 yard passing game in his career. This offense won't let him show off his big time passing ability, and probably shouldn't. Cottonwood High in Utah has lost a lot of games this year and excitement has cooled as far as how soon Bateman will be ready. My take is that Utah football is no where near the level of football in the southeast and there will be a big adjustment for him. I look for Morris to win the job. He has more natural talent than Ely and is from the QB factory, Texas.

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

AJ has stated, several times, that he intends to enter the draft after this season. I've mentioned this in another thread but AJ is one of those guys who will surprise the draft "experts" by being drafted a round or two higher than they will expect. NFL Coaches and Scouts will almost certainly have AJ much higher on their "big board" than your typical draft analyst. If AJ just does what he's done so far this year for the rest of it then he'll likely be a mid-second to early-third round pick with an outside shot at a late first round pick.

Granted, there are a few things that could cause him to stay another year such as (heaven forbid) an injury or a performance slump or something like that. Coach Saban and the NFL advisers that will talk to AJ may feel that he can greatly benefit from another year and encourage him to stay. If so, it's possible that he listens. On the other hand, there are some family pressures for him to turn pro as quickly as possible and he may listen to that no matter what.

We won't know whether or not AJ will be back next year until sometime in the spring, at the earliest. Right now he is leaning towards declaring and that is what we should expect. If he does decide, for whatever reason, to come back for another year then it should be considered a pleasant surprise.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    Blake Sims
    Philip Ely
    Alec Morris
    Cooper Bateman
    or Parker McCleod

Either of those guys. My guess is Ely. Coach doesn't typically play a QB that he's not comfortable with managing the offense, no matter how talented. Of that group, in terms of pure QB talent, my personal order would be: Bateman, Morris, Sims, Ely, McCleod. But more than likely, it would be Ely since he's pocket passer that's been in the system the longest. I think what Blake does is great for what we have with a stable full of backs and a great offensive line; that doesn't do our receivers any good.

So while we're not sure if AJ will be gone, we can rest assured that 4 of the 5 offensive line starters will be gone. Thankfully, we'll have an even more embarrassment of riches at the running back position. So we'll probably lean heavily on those RBs to help out our young QB and our young offensive linemen who should be great at run blocking by then (since when they've been in every game this year, all we're doing is running). I guess we go with Ely, although, personally, I'd like to see Bateman.
    You think Steen leaves early? I figured we'd return 2 with CK and Steen and an outside chance that DJ returns since he's struggled with pass rushers (he's probably a guard in the nfl because of that).

I think if AJ leaves we have a 2 QB system. Basically, like we are seeing right now late in the blowouts w/ Sims & Ely splitting time. Not my favorite system, just what I see happening unless one of them grabs the bull by the horns.

Quote Originally Posted by jps1983 View Post
    You think Steen leaves early? I figured we'd return 2 with CK and Steen and an outside chance that DJ returns since he's struggled with pass rushers (he's probably a guard in the nfl because of that).
    Don't know why I thought Steen was a senior. Maybe he stays. DJ on the other hand, has a mouth to feed. He's gone
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

One big thing that will hurt AJ's chances to go in the early rounds is his body type. He's pretty darn frail, almost Brodie like.
    We've already seen that he's a bit prone to injuries when he takes a good hit and that's not going to be something the pro scouts will like.
    I think he'll ultimately stay and try to beef up a bit. As it stands right now I think he'd be a third rounder at best.

this is the giant elephant in the room if you ask me.