Alec Morris
    Cooper Bateman
    or Parker McCleod
    Wouldn't shock me

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 QB

The chance that Bateman would make it as a true freshman is slim, at best. As much as CNS demands from all players, his demands of a quarterback are even higher. It doesn't matter how talented you might be, if you can't consistently make the right decisions in the heat of each play, you won't get the ball. We talk about this all the time with running backs' additional duties, but the sheer amount of information processing that must go on in a quarterback's mind to make the correct decisions is astronomical. Unless Bateman comes in and memorizes the playbook in a week and can read defenses better than everyone currently on the roster, he won't be the starter. The kid oozes talent, but I would be amazed if he starts next year. My guess is he will be the 4th string with a plan to redshirt him as long as we don't pull a Maryland with our QBs next year.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption22 View Post
    Wouldn't shock me
    well i would hope that it wouldn't shock anybody with the hype the morris kid is getting from a certain sect of bama fans.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

and that list scares the bejesus out of me for next year. honestly, i'm not impressed with any of them. a strong running game and solid defense will only get you so far in 13'.

News|BB|FB|Rec Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by pluckngrit View Post
    well i would hope that it wouldn't shock anybody with the hype the morris kid is getting from a certain sect of bama fans.
    who is hyping him?

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like I've seen a few Ely and GMac comparisons.

I'm sure this is from a physical point of view, but we also know that Gmac was/is super intelligent and smart with the football. Does Ely share a similar gift?
    Last edited by BamaMoon; October 31st, 2012 at 02:39 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

New QB and several new OL isn't a good formula for success...

That is, unless you are returning TJ Yeldon, Kenyan Drake, and potentially Jalston Fowler, Eddie Lacy, and Dee Hart at RB, and Amari Cooper, Cyrus Jones, Christion Jones, Kenny Bell, Deandrew White, and Kevin Norwood at WR.

Whoever the QB is next year will certainly have some weapons.

Even if our OL takes a step back next year, I still don't expect a weak OL. I mean, we could still potentially return three starters.

I expect Ely to get the start, but certainly wouldn't be shocked if Morris or Sims got the job. That will be a good competition in the Spring, should AJ leave.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption22 View Post
    who is hyping him?
    fans on message boards in general. especially bamamag. you would have thought he was the next coming of joe namath.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Saban is against playing Sims and Ely both but more than likely one or the other would be more effective and end up being the starter. I'm not wild about freshman being your quarterback but If one of them ends up being better, we will flat have one. Without McCarron next season will be unlike any previous.
    BS 1989

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

How the team looks will depend in large part on if AJ leaves or not. If they win a NC, not only is AJ likely a Heisman finalist, but he and some other key players will likely use the momentum to leave early. However, if Alabama stumbles and loses before the Heisman ceremony, he's likely not a finalist and he might not be able to gain the label of big game quarterback. Remember Tim Tebow was a first round pick, not because anyone thought he looked like an NFL quarterback, but because he was viewed as a winner. If Alabama doesn't get an NC, it will hurt the draft stock of a few players and leave them wanting to return to win a NC. This will set the stage for how difficult the following season will be. It could be a rebuilding year, I know it's not easy to say that, but sooner or later Alabama is going to be lacking enough key guys to go out and dominate.

Phillip Sims would have been the obvious guy. He's struggled some in Virginia but he'd have more to work with at Alabama, and likely be better developed as well. This is the first time in a long time that the obvious next guy up jumped ship, so it does throw things off a bit. Also, I think Blake Sims' time on the RB depth chart also blurs things a bit. If there is another injury at running back, do we see more of Blake in obvious running situations?

The problem with Blake is that he lacks the size and strength of a Cam Newton, Tim Tebow, or Vince Young. If he had that kind of size, he'd have an easier time passing, and he'd be harder to bring down. However, he is bigger than Pat White. It's not as though he couldn't run the Alabama offense, but I don't think he could run the Alabama offense quite like we are used to seeing. The question is if the coaches become confident enough in his passing to let him have the reigns. I could imagine him starting full time, but only if he develops more as a passer and it's easiest to imagine a two quarterback system. Ely could come in, in obvious passing situations, and if the team got too far behind, or if they had to score quick. I don't think Alabama would throw him out there and let him become a wreck like some scrambling quarterbacks have become. Either he'd have a short leash or they would avoid certain scenarios entirely.

Ely is the obvious choice if they want to go with one quarterback. I can't say too much in regards to him, but one would think he could run the Alabama offense. He might trend more towards JPW than AJ, we can't really tell as of yet, but he wouldn't require many changes in how they did things.

There are too many ifs with Bateman, I mean he's not even enrolled. However, he's a huge talent and it's possible that he's ready to play from day one. I find this highly unlikely though. They are not going to want to burn his redshirt unless they are absolutely certain he's ready to go from day one. How the season develops could greatly impact his playing time. If someone ahead struggles a lot, or is injured we could see more of him.

A lot remains to be seen, but it's hard not to imagine Blake Sims in the picture at this point. He's the one that's seen more than just mop up duty, he seems to be the second string guy right now. There's just a lot of reasons why Alabama wouldn't make him the main guy though.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw Morris in a high school game on espn last year and I wasn't impressed.

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

Wasn't his best game. Although, he did bring them back. Last year was strange..............they trailed in several games, before they got on track.
    "Mama called."

So, we took her home.

3/8/26-8/20/13

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimislim View Post
    Danny Sheridan says AJ is gonna stay.
    Well, that settles it!
    "Mama called."