Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 104

Thread: 2013 QB

  1. #40
    BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida, United States
    Posts
    2,732

    Re: 2013 QB

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    How the team looks will depend in large part on if AJ leaves or not. If they win a NC, not only is AJ likely a Heisman finalist, but he and some other key players will likely use the momentum to leave early. However, if Alabama stumbles and loses before the Heisman ceremony, he's likely not a finalist and he might not be able to gain the label of big game quarterback. Remember Tim Tebow was a first round pick, not because anyone thought he looked like an NFL quarterback, but because he was viewed as a winner. If Alabama doesn't get an NC, it will hurt the draft stock of a few players and leave them wanting to return to win a NC. This will set the stage for how difficult the following season will be. It could be a rebuilding year, I know it's not easy to say that, but sooner or later Alabama is going to be lacking enough key guys to go out and dominate.
    That, plus the fact that Josh McDaniels is an idiot. Tebow should have been a 3rd round pick at the earliest, as evidenced by his NFL career thus far.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #41
    Thread Starter

    Re: 2013 QB

    I would really like to see what Simms can do. I hope he gets a chance to throw the ball some before the season is over.

  4. #42
    Thread Starter

    Re: 2013 QB

    Quote Originally Posted by colbysullivan View Post
    That, plus the fact that Josh McDaniels is an idiot. Tebow should have been a 3rd round pick at the earliest, as evidenced by his NFL career thus far.
    Yeah, if McDaniels didn't exist Tebow wouldn't have gone until the third round more than likely.

  5. #43
    BamaNation All-American BamaHoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Noblesville Indiana
    Posts
    2,174
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: 2013 QB

    Not to hijack the thread, but I believe that AJ goes pro at the end of the year, and he gets drafted fairly high. He's like Trent was last year, he really has nothing to gain by staying for his SR year, especially if he goes out as a 2 time NCG winner. We're never going to be a throw first offense, so he won't really improve his overrall statistics, he'll already have won everything he's going to win with 2 NC's and possibly a heisman finalists spot, and he risks having his career ended prematurely by injury. So he really has no reason to come back unless he just really wants to finish his degree. The best part for him is a lot of the top quarterbacks have fallen out of contention for a first round pick. Barkley has been mediocre at best, Geno Smith has fallen off the radar over the past few weeks, and Collin Klein is Tim Tebow with lower muscle content, so he hasn't moved up the draft board. I kind of view AJ in the same light as Ryan Tannehill was last year. Tannehill went from relative unknown to top 10 draft pick, and AJ, while not as athletic as Tannehill, is probably a better pure qb than RT, and I think that NFL teams are starting to notice.

    Now to answer the original question. There is no way that Saban starts a true freshman quarterback, I know the adage of "if you're good enough, than you are old enough", but I don't think there is a true frosh qb out there who could pick up Saban's system without being an overwhelmed. Plus, freshmen make freshmen mistakes, and I don't think Saban would put a freshmen that he's not used to in charge of one of the most disciplined offenses in the country. I would imagine that Ely would be the full time starter, but I think we would see Blake Sims take a more active roll in the wildcat. If you've watched the end of the games this year, It does kind of look like Saban is trying to groom them for a double role already.

    My opinion and nothing more, TIFWIW

  6. #44
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Spring Hill, TN
    Posts
    19,514
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: 2013 QB

    Quote Originally Posted by jimislim View Post
    Danny Sheridan says AJ is gonna stay.
    well, if that bag of wind says it, it must be true. (AJ has said himself that he wants to go, so it's not like DS is breaking any news)

  7. #45
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Spring Hill, TN
    Posts
    19,514
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: 2013 QB

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    If AJ is a projected 1st round pick, then he just needs to go. As for any other player we have. I think Ely and Simms will do just fine next year.
    I'd be shocked if anyone projects him as a first round pick

  8. #46
    BamaNation All-SEC Bamafan P.T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: 2013 QB

    Quote Originally Posted by pluckngrit View Post
    and that list scares the bejesus out of me for next year. honestly, i'm not impressed with any of them. a strong running game and solid defense will only get you so far in 13'.
    I tend to agree but honestly who was really excited about GMAc coming into the season? And most all of these guys were more highly thought of coming out of high school. I think we could win with any of them, but what concerns me is the line they will have in front of them. Mac and Aj both came in as untested starters, but both had the luxury of a pretty darn good line to protect them and help get the run game going. New line and and new qb is a
    scary.

  9. #47
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    629

    Re: 2013 QB

    Not so sure AJ goes, how about his brother who transfered to Bama to be able to play with AJ.

  10. #48
    BamaNation All-American M2J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: 2013 QB

    I'm sure we'll be fine offensively. We'll just go back to the old run, run, throw offense and rely on defense, if the guys behind AJ aren't ready yet.

    However, I do think AJ has room to grow, and possibly a 1st round spot next year. However, he can still prove that this year. If he hits his shots and looks good vs LSU, the SECCG, and BCSNCG....there's still a lot of season left. But if we hide him in those games, or we don't hide him (as we really haven't this season) and he struggles he could hurt himself. Hopefully he excels.

    If he comes back, he could show that he could lead a young offensive line to a great offense. The "experts" have said that if he comes back a year, he could push for 1st round status. But like I said, there's a lot of season left and a lot of showcase games.

  11. #49
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Anniston, Alabama
    Posts
    8,922

    Re: 2013 QB

    My guess would be Ely as well..In the limited times he's played..I thought he looked dang good passing the ball..Like others though..I hope AJ stays his senior year..Especially if he wins his 3rd NC ring..It would be awesome if he came back to win his 4th one..

  12. #50
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    508

    Re: 2013 QB

    Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    My guess would be Ely as well..In the limited times he's played..I thought he looked dang good passing the ball..Like others though..I hope AJ stays his senior year..Especially if he wins his 3rd NC ring..It would be awesome if he came back to win his 4th one..
    How can you say he has looked good? He is 3 of 4 for 40 something yards and a TD. One pass was a screen that took up 27 of those and took a great catch and run by Lacy to score. That is hardly enough to say he has looked dang good at passing.

  13. #51
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Anniston, Alabama
    Posts
    8,922

    Re: 2013 QB

    Quote Originally Posted by rolltideallday View Post
    How can you say he has looked good? He is 3 of 4 for 40 something yards and a TD. One pass was a screen that took up 27 of those and took a great catch and run by Lacy to score. That is hardly enough to say he has looked dang good at passing.
    You make a valid point..I should have word that better..Excuse me..

  14. #52
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,910
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: 2013 QB

    Did the bag man tell Sheridan AJ was staying?

    I do not have an opinion on who the quarterback should be next year if he leaves. Nick Saban knows a lot more about football than I do. He attends every practice and has meetings with each of them. I trust his judgement on who it should be. I would like to see the backups get some significant snaps against Western Carolina and the Barn once the games become blowouts.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!