2013 QB

TydDFens

1st Team
Feb 5, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Just curious what y'all are thinking on this topic today since they have another game under their belts. I didn't get to see the game, just listened on the radio for the most part while at work. Sounded like Sims got most of the snaps after A.J. went out.

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
0% change AJ leaves in my opinion.

There is no point in a QB leaving to be a fourth round draft pick, when he could come back and be a second/first round pick the following year. Barkley and Wilson were first round guys that came back to get better. AJ is in a much worse situation in terms of draft status and should do the same.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
0% change AJ leaves in my opinion.

There is no point in a QB leaving to be a fourth round draft pick, when he could come back and be a second/first round pick the following year. Barkley and Wilson were first round guys that came back to get better. AJ is in a much worse situation in terms of draft status and should do the same.
I agree

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
What do you guys think now? I think with the way the season has shaped up the last 4 weeks or so he would be dumb to leave early. Then again, I'm not an NFL draft expert.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
What do you guys think now? I think with the way the season has shaped up the last 4 weeks or so he would be dumb to leave early. Then again, I'm not an NFL draft expert.
I don't know a lot of what the NFL scouts look at but I know how the overall team itself does (winning or losing) doesn't play much part if any in their evaluation process of an individual player. I'm not a scout and to me it is quite obvious AJ still has things to work on before even sniffing a first or second, or maybe even a third round selection. I put it to you this way. I wouldn't use a first through third round pick on him if I'm a NFL GM selecting in 2013.

I think he needs another year.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
AJ ain't going. IMO. His draft stock will definitely go up after a 4th season.
Agree. If he was a RB i would want to push him out the door but playing another year of college will not effect his 2nd pro contract if he is what I think he is.

He will most certainly be one of the pre- season deemed stars and will get a lot of attention. The OL situation will also prepare him for the NFL, which he needs.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I don't see him leaving early. He is a great QB, but the tough games this year (AM, LSU, GA) shows me that he needs more grooming.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I hope AJ stays another year. I don't know what is causing his family pressures but there are plenty more players on this team that were born without a silver spoon in their mouths if it is financial.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
I definitely think AJ will be better served by staying an additional year. While AJ has made some good throws, his performance in the last few games (taking out the LSU drive) have not been stellar. If he can stay and improve his accuracy on those intermediate throws, I believe his draft stock can be improved. If he has to move on, I do believe Morris will do quite well at the QB position. Ely may be ahead of him at the beginning of 2013 just because he has been around the program for a longer period of time. But Morris is the future QB considering our current inventory of QBs behind AJ. It will be interesting to see Mel's analysis of AJ but I think he has lots of room for improvement. To be fair, he got beat up some toward the end of this year which likely impacted his performance. Whatever the case, I am not going to hit the panic button. I love AJ's experience and that will be missed. I feel good about the ceiling on Morris and think we'll be fine if he elects to go. AJ may also factor into his decision that we lose Warmack, Jones and very possibly Fluker next year.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I agree that AJ's personal football career would be best served by returning. That holds regardless of whether the team wins or loses in Miami.

Knowledgeable posters have reported that there is (or at least was) family financial pressure to go after this year. Those same posters have also reported that there may have been some recent thawing of that position.

I think if he stays, the monetary gain from his potential advancement from a 4th or 5th round choice to even the 2nd round far outweighs a relatively small signing bonus in June.

Only if the immediate privation were so great as to endanger survival and health would I say the short term considerations prevail. And while I've read that they need the money, I don't think it's that bad.

Still, if mama and papa say go, and can't be convinced otherwise, you'd have to bet on an early entry.

Last edited:

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I'm just not sure AJ improves that much more with another year. He will be loosing some O linemen and he hasn't done that well when he gets pressure now.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm just not sure AJ improves that much more with another year. He will be loosing some O linemen and he hasn't done that well when he gets pressure now.
Prior to his injury in the MSU game, he was doing fine. The injury has caused some issues.

With all the WRs returning, the passing attack should be very, very nice in 2013.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
I actually have faith in the upcoming offensive line. Last time we were supposed to be weaker there it turned out OK.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Prior to his injury in the MSU game, he was doing fine. The injury has caused some issues.

With all the WRs returning, the passing attack should be very, very nice in 2013.
Prior to MSU, the schedule was easy. As it got tougher, the numbers fell way off.

CLINT

1st Team
Aug 11, 2010
Central Illinois
Would love to see Alabama recruit a QB that could win a game with his feet.
I would not. That's what we have a great stable of RB's for. Look at all the QB's in the NFL that are most always healthy, (Both Mannings, Breese, Brady, Rodgers) and then the ones that always get hurt (Vick, RG3, Mcnabb). I'd much rather have a pocket passer than a "dual threat" QB.

-CLINT

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He'll be a year older and a lot of pro teams will tell you there are a lot of these guys that come out that simply need another year of maturing. Not necessarily "getting better" on the field. Also, I haven't looked but I think AJ coming out next season will not have a Matt Barkley or Tyler Wilson in the draft either. He'll be a more attractive pick without these two in the mix.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I would not. That's what we have a great stable of RB's for. Look at all the QB's in the NFL that are most always healthy, (Both Mannings, Breese, Brady, Rodgers) and then the ones that always get hurt (Vick, RG3, Mcnabb). I'd much rather have a pocket passer than a "dual threat" QB.

-CLINT
Give me a Tebow, Johnny FB, RGIII, or Cam type QB any day. Why have a guy who can only handoff when you can give opponents another threat to worry about?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.