2013 QB

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Hi, I've read this forum for a while but never posted. I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer, so I'll it here: If A.J. leaves for the NFL after this season, who is going to play quarterback? It seems like people think Simms is the guy who would play if A.J. was hurt this year, but all I've ever seen him do is run it for the most part.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Blake Sims
Philip Ely
Alec Morris
Cooper Bateman
or Parker McCleod

Either of those guys. My guess is Ely. Coach doesn't typically play a QB that he's not comfortable with managing the offense, no matter how talented. Of that group, in terms of pure QB talent, my personal order would be: Bateman, Morris, Sims, Ely, McCleod. But more than likely, it would be Ely since he's pocket passer that's been in the system the longest. I think what Blake does is great for what we have with a stable full of backs and a great offensive line; that doesn't do our receivers any good.

So while we're not sure if AJ will be gone, we can rest assured that 4 of the 5 offensive line starters will be gone. Thankfully, we'll have an even more embarrassment of riches at the running back position. So we'll probably lean heavily on those RBs to help out our young QB and our young offensive linemen who should be great at run blocking by then (since when they've been in every game this year, all we're doing is running). I guess we go with Ely, although, personally, I'd like to see Bateman.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

I hope A.J. doesn't go, but I kind of think he will. I don't see what he's going to do next year that would increase his draft stock. Although, I don't know how many QBs are projected to come out this year versus next.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
AJ goes. His numbers won't go up next year and he will be at his highest value coming off the NC. He only has one 300 yard passing game in his career. This offense won't let him show off his big time passing ability, and probably shouldn't. Cottonwood High in Utah has lost a lot of games this year and excitement has cooled as far as how soon Bateman will be ready. My take is that Utah football is no where near the level of football in the southeast and there will be a big adjustment for him. I look for Morris to win the job. He has more natural talent than Ely and is from the QB factory, Texas.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
AJ has stated, several times, that he intends to enter the draft after this season. I've mentioned this in another thread but AJ is one of those guys who will surprise the draft "experts" by being drafted a round or two higher than they will expect. NFL Coaches and Scouts will almost certainly have AJ much higher on their "big board" than your typical draft analyst. If AJ just does what he's done so far this year for the rest of it then he'll likely be a mid-second to early-third round pick with an outside shot at a late first round pick.

Granted, there are a few things that could cause him to stay another year such as (heaven forbid) an injury or a performance slump or something like that. Coach Saban and the NFL advisers that will talk to AJ may feel that he can greatly benefit from another year and encourage him to stay. If so, it's possible that he listens. On the other hand, there are some family pressures for him to turn pro as quickly as possible and he may listen to that no matter what.

We won't know whether or not AJ will be back next year until sometime in the spring, at the earliest. Right now he is leaning towards declaring and that is what we should expect. If he does decide, for whatever reason, to come back for another year then it should be considered a pleasant surprise.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Blake Sims
Philip Ely
Alec Morris
Cooper Bateman
or Parker McCleod

Either of those guys. My guess is Ely. Coach doesn't typically play a QB that he's not comfortable with managing the offense, no matter how talented. Of that group, in terms of pure QB talent, my personal order would be: Bateman, Morris, Sims, Ely, McCleod. But more than likely, it would be Ely since he's pocket passer that's been in the system the longest. I think what Blake does is great for what we have with a stable full of backs and a great offensive line; that doesn't do our receivers any good.

So while we're not sure if AJ will be gone, we can rest assured that 4 of the 5 offensive line starters will be gone. Thankfully, we'll have an even more embarrassment of riches at the running back position. So we'll probably lean heavily on those RBs to help out our young QB and our young offensive linemen who should be great at run blocking by then (since when they've been in every game this year, all we're doing is running). I guess we go with Ely, although, personally, I'd like to see Bateman.
You think Steen leaves early? I figured we'd return 2 with CK and Steen and an outside chance that DJ returns since he's struggled with pass rushers (he's probably a guard in the nfl because of that).

CapeHorn

Scout Team
Aug 22, 2012
I think if AJ leaves we have a 2 QB system. Basically, like we are seeing right now late in the blowouts w/ Sims & Ely splitting time. Not my favorite system, just what I see happening unless one of them grabs the bull by the horns.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
You think Steen leaves early? I figured we'd return 2 with CK and Steen and an outside chance that DJ returns since he's struggled with pass rushers (he's probably a guard in the nfl because of that).
Don't know why I thought Steen was a senior. Maybe he stays. DJ on the other hand, has a mouth to feed. He's gone

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
One big thing that will hurt AJ's chances to go in the early rounds is his body type. He's pretty darn frail, almost Brodie like.
We've already seen that he's a bit prone to injuries when he takes a good hit and that's not going to be something the pro scouts will like.
I think he'll ultimately stay and try to beef up a bit. As it stands right now I think he'd be a third rounder at best.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
AJ's the best pro prospect we've had at QB in a long time. He's stated he's going & if he wins 2 NC's in a row and is a Heisman finalist, his stock will never be higher.

As of right now, it looks like Ely's the true "backup" QB. I say this because for whatever reason, we actually allow him to throw passes when he comes into the game. Sims has played 50+ snaps in his two years on campus and he's never thrown a pass. Both have come in for mop-up duty, but the coaches never seem to trust Sims to throw a pass. TIFWIW.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
"Sims has played 50+ snaps in his two years on campus and he's never thrown a pass"

Looking for this to change Saturday night. On topic, I think AJ goes Pro. Oline almost has to take a step or two back next year. If you are gonna take lumps, might as well get paid. He will have nothing left to prove.

Last edited:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
AJ's the best pro prospect we've had at QB in a long time. He's stated he's going & if he wins 2 NC's in a row and is a Heisman finalist, his stock will never be higher.

As of right now, it looks like Ely's the true "backup" QB. I say this because for whatever reason, we actually allow him to throw passes when he comes into the game. Sims has played 50+ snaps in his two years on campus and he's never thrown a pass. Both have come in for mop-up duty, but the coaches never seem to trust Sims to throw a pass. TIFWIW.
#12 Phillip Ely Comp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Sack-Yds Effic
Arkansas 2-3-0 66.7 15 0 8 0-0 108.67
Mississippi State 1-1-0 100.0 27 1 27 0-0 656.80
TOTALS 3-4-0 75.0 42 1 27 0-0 245.70

#6 Blake Sims Comp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Sack-Yds Effic
Western Kentucky 1-1-0 100.0 6 0 6 0-0 150.40
Arkansas 1-1-0 100.0 9 0 9 0-0 175.60
Florida Atlantic 1-1-0 100.0 35 0 35 1-16 394.00
TOTALS 3-3-0 100.0 50 0 35 1-16 240.00

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
#12 Phillip Ely Comp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Sack-Yds Effic
Arkansas 2-3-0 66.7 15 0 8 0-0 108.67
Mississippi State 1-1-0 100.0 27 1 27 0-0 656.80
TOTALS 3-4-0 75.0 42 1 27 0-0 245.70

#6 Blake Sims Comp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Sack-Yds Effic
Western Kentucky 1-1-0 100.0 6 0 6 0-0 150.40
Arkansas 1-1-0 100.0 9 0 9 0-0 175.60
Florida Atlantic 1-1-0 100.0 35 0 35 1-16 394.00
TOTALS 3-3-0 100.0 50 0 35 1-16 240.00
Maybe he has thrown a pass. I looked up his stats several places, including ESPN, and this is what I found. Thanks for the find.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.