Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team Rolltide_PA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: The Fight'n Texas Aggie Band will be traveling to the Alabama game.........

a must-see all-dude marching band?

next...

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American MattinBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Is this real life?
    Is this going to be forever?

BamaNation First Team saraelizabethua's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide_PA View Post
    a must-see all-dude marching band?

next...
    TAMU's yell crew is all male... the band is most definitely NOT.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saraelizabethua View Post
    TAMU's yell crew is all male... the band is most definitely NOT.
    Sara is correct, the band is mixed. They A&M Corps of Cadets wear the wwII standard issue army uniform. The seniors wear the calvary uniform, thus the riding boots. A&M is strong on tradition, was an all military school and all male up till the late 60's I think. The Corps of Cadets make up about 2500-3000 of the 50000 member student body now. The "Yell" leaders, not cheer leaders are elected by the student body every year just like class officers. Females have run, they just haven't been elected yet. We do yells, in unison led by the yell leaders with hand signals. You can call it gay if you want, but it is tradition and it works for us. One of our favorite traditions is if the team scores, we get to score (kiss your date) in the stands too!

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com
    I wish I could have stayed in band. Women was my love back them and being apart of the Marching Hornets of ASU wasn't cutting it for me, so I dropped out. I've seen MDB once out of all my games I've been to and I'll say that are great. I've seen on UT in Knoxville and they were garbage. LSU remains to be seen...
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

I've never understood the distinction between a cheerleader and a yell leader except that calling them yell leaders seems to somehow get them off the hook for not having any girls cheering...but that really doesn't make any sense either...

When the student body votes on who gets to be a yell leader, do the girl students get to vote?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by saraelizabethua View Post
    Most MDB members agree LSU has the best band... I think their ratio of music majors to non-music majors is higher, but I could be wrong (let me keep thinking that, please).
    Since you n Poke are former MDB emembers, Sara, would either of you care to hazard a guess as to whether LSU's band will be able to cross the 50 during halftime this w/e?

Last edited by Rush; November 2nd, 2012 at 07:18 AM.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    I've never understood the distinction between a cheerleader and a yell leader except that calling them yell leaders seems to somehow get them off the hook for not having any girls cheering...but that really doesn't make any sense either...

When the student body votes on who gets to be a yell leader, do the girl students get to vote?
    Haha, yes they do. They mostly concur that the Yell Leader tradition needs to stay the same. One thing I didn't mention is Yell Leaders are typically for the corps of cadets only. Some non-corps members have been yell leaders, but typically the student body will choose only corps members. While the Corps of Cadets is only about 5-6% of the student body, it is still the center of the University. Most Aggies want to keep it that way.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie Scott View Post
    Haha, yes they do. They mostly concur that the Yell Leader tradition needs to stay the same. One thing I didn't mention is Yell Leaders are typically for the corps of cadets only. Some non-corps members have been yell leaders, but typically the student body will choose only corps members. While the Corps of Cadets is only about 5-6% of the student body, it is still the center of the University. Most Aggies want to keep it that way.
    You are a good sport & I'm sure the Aggie band is very good indeed.

To poke a little more fun at you...

in the above quote, do you mean most Aggies want to keep the Corps numbers at very small 5 or 6 per cent, or for the Corps to remain the center of the University despite that small percentage? I'm not certain what "it" refers to in your post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie Scott View Post
    Sara is correct, the band is mixed. They A&M Corps of Cadets wear the wwII standard issue army uniform. The seniors wear the calvary uniform, thus the riding boots. A&M is strong on tradition, was an all military school and all male up till the late 60's I think. The Corps of Cadets make up about 2500-3000 of the 50000 member student body now. The "Yell" leaders, not cheer leaders are elected by the student body every year just like class officers. Females have run, they just haven't been elected yet. We do yells, in unison led by the yell leaders with hand signals. You can call it gay if you want, but it is tradition and it works for us. One of our favorite traditions is if the team scores, we get to score (kiss your date) in the stands too!
    This is very fuzzy memory on my part, but it seems to me that one reason Coach Bryant left aTm was that they were going back to an all male school. This was, of course, 1958, when I was a sophomore. I'll see if I can find the facts...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I thought they didn't let women in until after Bryant left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I thought they didn't let women in until after Bryant left.
    Reexamining my memory, you're correct. Maybe it was that they were going back to all having to be in the corps and wear uniforms. I'll try to track it down. I'll check with one of my contemporaries, if I can find one alive...
    Last edited by TIDE-HSV; November 1st, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Reexamining my memory, you're correct. Maybe it was that they were going back to all having to be in the corps and wear uniforms. I'll try to track it down. I'll check with one of my contemporaries, if I can find one alive...
    I've always read that Coach Bryant was very happy at AM and that it actually pained him to leave there, and only left because "Mama called"...
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings