Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Recipes
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Fight'n Texas Aggie Band will be traveling to the Alabama game.........

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    I've always read that Coach Bryant was very happy at AM and that it actually pained him to leave there, and only left because "Mama called"...
    No, there was some changed factor which was unfavorable to the football team in addition. Given enough time, I'll remember it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Fightin'? I doubt they really fight. I mean, not only do they not look capable of winning many fights, but I just don't see where they would ever need to.

Still, I suppose I'd take a fightin' band over a fightin' aggie.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I hesitate to offer this info because it will show my age, but I think the reason that Don Meredith gave Coach Bryant for not going to A & M when Coach Bryant was recruiting him to A & M in the mid 50's was there were no women at that god forsaken place. My fuzzy memory is Meredith gave the news to Mary Harmon that as bad as he wanted to play for Coach Bryant, he just couldn't go to A & M. In any event, I had a few drinks with Don Meredith in the early 70's at the Palm Bay Club in Miami when he was doing Monday Night Football. He still loved Coach Bryant and wished he had been able to play for him. Meredith was EXACTLY the same guy off the air as on the air. He was as genuine as it gets.
    No one should ever question Coach Bryant's love and respect for A & M. The only ring he ever wore was the A & M SWC championship ring.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capstone46 View Post
    I hesitate to offer this info because it will show my age, but I think the reason that Don Meredith gave Coach Bryant for not going to A & M when Coach Bryant was recruiting him to A & M in the mid 50's was there were no women at that god forsaken place. My fuzzy memory is Meredith gave the news to Mary Harmon that as bad as he wanted to play for Coach Bryant, he just couldn't go to A & M. In any event, I had a few drinks with Don Meredith in the early 70's at the Palm Bay Club in Miami when he was doing Monday Night Football. He still loved Coach Bryant and wished he had been able to play for him. Meredith was EXACTLY the same guy off the air as on the air. He was as genuine as it gets.
    No one should ever question Coach Bryant's love and respect for A & M. The only ring he ever wore was the A & M SWC championship ring.
    I thought the only ring he wore was one given to him by the Junction Boys.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

You are correct. It was given to him at the re union of the Junction Boys and not by the SWC but it was to commemorate what they accomplished in winning the SWC a couple of years later.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I believe he was wearing the Junction ring when he died.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    You are a good sport & I'm sure the Aggie band is very good indeed.

To poke a little more fun at you...

in the above quote, do you mean most Aggies want to keep the Corps numbers at very small 5 or 6 per cent, or for the Corps to remain the center of the University despite that small percentage? I'm not certain what "it" refers to in your post.
    That would be the later Chukker!

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MBA_99 View Post
    Fightin'? I doubt they really fight. I mean, not only do they not look capable of winning many fights, but I just don't see where they would ever need to.

Still, I suppose I'd take a fightin' band over a fightin' aggie.
    Actually MBA many of them fight for real when they graduate. Before their junior year, Corps of Cadet members (Including the band) make a decision on whether or not to serve in the military. If they sign on, many of them do, they go through extensive training and graduate as a 2nd Lieutenant into the branch of their choice. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines are all represented by the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets. Here's a little known fact, Texas A&M put out more officers in WW2 than even the Naval Academy and West Point. They may not look capable of a fight, but I can assure you they are very fit and ready to go!

BamaNation Hall of Fame lafella's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie Scott View Post
    Actually MBA many of them fight for real when they graduate. Before their junior year, Corps of Cadet members (Including the band) make a decision on whether or not to serve in the military. If they sign on, many of them do, they go through extensive training and graduate as a 2nd Lieutenant into the branch of their choice. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines are all represented by the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets. Here's a little known fact, Texas A&M put out more officers in WW2 than even the Naval Academy and West Point. They may not look capable of a fight, but I can assure you they are very fit and ready to go!
    So what you are saying is we can thank ya'll for all the butter bars?

I do have a question for you though as I've been seeing alot on your message boards that feel they are most like Auburn and feel they understand them better because ya'll are so much alike ... do you feel the same way? and Why in all that is holy to football would you ever want to do that to yourselves?
    Hey Daddy why doesn't Auburn have a number beside their name? 5 year old son during the iron bowl.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

The actual percentage is 46%. So if 46% is many, then so be it.

During World War I and World War II, A&M commissioned more officers than the military academies combined.
    This probably has something to do with the fact there were only TWO academies at the time (Annapolis and West Point.) The AFA wasn't founded until AFTER WWII. And the second issue would be that the academies were only graduating around 400 students a year before the two wars. A&M had a peak of 6,500 cadets in 1940. West Point doesn't even have 4,500 TODAY. By 1942, when the war was already under way, Congress authorized an increase to 2,496. They expanded to their current size in the 60's.

So A&M's chest thumping about having more commissioned officers than the academies combined has something to do with going to West Point or Annapolis was a far more prestigious and a very difficult appointment to get.

Macanudo, 2011

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Really? I can rest easy now, knowin the Fightn Aggie's will commence to marchin and a comin to town!
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know you're proud of the Corps but merely entering the military by no means indicates one will ever come close to fighting. Tiny percentage actually go in harms way. Still it's great they choose to serve their country.
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; November 2nd, 2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: formatting
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lafella View Post
    So what you are saying is we can thank ya'll for all the butter bars?

I do have a question for you though as I've been seeing alot on your message boards that feel they are most like Auburn and feel they understand them better because ya'll are so much alike ... do you feel the same way? and Why in all that is holy to football would you ever want to do that to yourselves?
    Never been on the auburn boards, so I hav no idea what you are talking about.