Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 40 to 49 of 49
  1. #40
    Thread Starter

    Re: The Fight'n Texas Aggie Band will be traveling to the Alabama game.........

    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    The actual percentage is 46%. So if 46% is many, then so be it.

    During World War I and World War II, A&M commissioned more officers than the military academies combined.
    This probably has something to do with the fact there were only TWO academies at the time (Annapolis and West Point.) The AFA wasn't founded until AFTER WWII. And the second issue would be that the academies were only graduating around 400 students a year before the two wars. A&M had a peak of 6,500 cadets in 1940. West Point doesn't even have 4,500 TODAY. By 1942, when the war was already under way, Congress authorized an increase to 2,496. They expanded to their current size in the 60's.

    So A&M's chest thumping about having more commissioned officers than the academies combined has something to do with going to West Point or Annapolis was a far more prestigious and a very difficult appointment to get.

    Macanudo, 2011
    Not chest thumping squib, certainly not dissing the military academys either. Everything I said is fact. Just thought some on this board might be interested in knowing something about A&M.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #41
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie Scott View Post
    Actually MBA many of them fight for real when they graduate. Before their junior year, Corps of Cadet members (Including the band) make a decision on whether or not to serve in the military. If they sign on, many of them do, they go through extensive training and graduate as a 2nd Lieutenant into the branch of their choice. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines are all represented by the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets. Here's a little known fact, Texas A&M put out more officers in WW2 than even the Naval Academy and West Point. They may not look capable of a fight, but I can assure you they are very fit and ready to go!

    Impressive. But my commissioned relatives would probably say they have yet to see a lieutenant or other officer "fight".

    Don't get me wrong, I and my family are as thankful as can be for their service!

  4. #42
    BamaNation Hall of Fame lafella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baldwin County, AL.
    Posts
    5,834

    Re: The Fight'n Texas Aggie Band will be traveling to the Alabama game.........

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie Scott View Post
    Never been on the auburn boards, so I have no idea what you are talking about.
    I don't blame you I don't like wearing hipwaders either. I'm speaking of Texags. One of your own.
    Hey Daddy why doesn't Auburn have a number beside their name? 5 year old son during the iron bowl.

  5. #43
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    43,220

    Re: The Fight'n Texas Aggie Band will be traveling to the Alabama game.........

    Quote Originally Posted by MBA_99 View Post
    Impressive. But my commissioned relatives would probably say they have yet to see a lieutenant or other officer "fight".

    Don't get me wrong, I and my family are as thankful as can be for their service!
    I think I remember that army 2nd Lts. have a higher casualty rate, as a percentage, than any other grade. I doubt that'd hold true for AF or Navy JGs, but it probably would hold true for the Marines. My older brother flew 30+ missions over Germany during WWII as a navigator on a B-17, most as a 2nd Lt. He mustered out as a captain in the Army Air Corps (no Air Force back then). His unit had a 300% casualty rate. He was obviously very lucky...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  6. #44
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    5,754

    Re: The Fight'n Texas Aggie Band will be traveling to the Alabama game.........

    My son told me the three worst situations for a Marine Grunt to find himself in were: (if I remember correctly)

    1. a PFC with a badge. (MP)
    2. a 2nd Lt. with a compass
    3. a Major with a plan.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

  7. #45
    BamaNation All-American J4Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,438
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: The Fight'n Texas Aggie Band will be traveling to the Alabama game.........

    Was at the game and not impressed at all.
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

  8. #46

    Re: The Fight'n Texas Aggie Band will be traveling to the Alabama game.........

    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    The actual percentage is 46%. So if 46% is many, then so be it.

    During World War I and World War II, A&M commissioned more officers than the military academies combined.
    This probably has something to do with the fact there were only TWO academies at the time (Annapolis and West Point.) The AFA wasn't founded until AFTER WWII. And the second issue would be that the academies were only graduating around 400 students a year before the two wars. A&M had a peak of 6,500 cadets in 1940. West Point doesn't even have 4,500 TODAY. By 1942, when the war was already under way, Congress authorized an increase to 2,496. They expanded to their current size in the 60's.

    So A&M's chest thumping about having more commissioned officers than the academies combined has something to do with going to West Point or Annapolis was a far more prestigious and a very difficult appointment to get.

    Macanudo, 2011
    46%...yea, I would say, so be it. Trying to explain away the numbers who served in WWII is like trying to explain away a loss. It may be interesting but doesn't change the score.

  9. #47
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,352
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

    Re: The Fight'n Texas Aggie Band will be traveling to the Alabama game.........

    Question for the Aggie fans:

    1. Why did some in the band wear high boots, and the others didn't?

    2. What on earth does your "cheerleaders" do? I mean all those hand gestures/dances or whatever you call it.
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. - 2 Corinthians 4:18

  10. #48
    BamaNation All-SEC WylieTexasTider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wylie, TX
    Posts
    1,627
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: The Fight'n Texas Aggie Band will be traveling to the Alabama game.........

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica4Bama View Post
    Question for the Aggie fans:

    1. Why did some in the band wear high boots, and the others didn't?

    2. What on earth does your "cheerleaders" do? I mean all those hand gestures/dances or whatever you call it.
    Married to an Aggie I can answer both..

    1. Seniors wear the high boots
    2. They are practicing for the nutty farm in a few years.. logical destination for people running around wearing white jump suits..
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

  11. #49
    Thread Starter

    Re: The Fight'n Texas Aggie Band will be traveling to the Alabama game.........

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica4Bama View Post
    Question for the Aggie fans:

    1. Why did some in the band wear high boots, and the others didn't?

    2. What on earth does your "cheerleaders" do? I mean all those hand gestures/dances or whatever you call it.
    Wiley's funny. Seniors do wear the boots. Cadets wear the WW2 uniform. Seniors wear the cavalry pants and boots. It's a big deal when they earn the boots. #2, we call them "yell leaders". If you make it to Kyle field next year you will get a better feel for what the yell leaders do. Yells are synchronized and the hand motions determine the pace of the yell. Hope that makes sense. Hand motions also communicate to the fans what yell they are about to do. Makes sure is everyone is on the same page and yelling together.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!