The Fight'n Texas Aggie Band will be traveling to the Alabama game.........

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Actually MBA many of them fight for real when they graduate. Before their junior year, Corps of Cadet members (Including the band) make a decision on whether or not to serve in the military. If they sign on, many of them do, they go through extensive training and graduate as a 2nd Lieutenant into the branch of their choice. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines are all represented by the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets. Here's a little known fact, Texas A&M put out more officers in WW2 than even the Naval Academy and West Point. They may not look capable of a fight, but I can assure you they are very fit and ready to go!

Impressive. But my commissioned relatives would probably say they have yet to see a lieutenant or other officer "fight".

Don't get me wrong, I and my family are as thankful as can be for their service!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Impressive. But my commissioned relatives would probably say they have yet to see a lieutenant or other officer "fight".

Don't get me wrong, I and my family are as thankful as can be for their service!
I think I remember that army 2nd Lts. have a higher casualty rate, as a percentage, than any other grade. I doubt that'd hold true for ** or Navy JGs, but it probably would hold true for the Marines. My older brother flew 30+ missions over Germany during WWII as a navigator on a B-17, most as a 2nd Lt. He mustered out as a captain in the Army Air Corps (no Air Force back then). His unit had a 300% casualty rate. He was obviously very lucky...

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
My son told me the three worst situations for a Marine Grunt to find himself in were: (if I remember correctly)

1. a PFC with a badge. (MP)
2. a 2nd Lt. with a compass
3. a Major with a plan.

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012
The actual percentage is 46%. So if 46% is many, then so be it.

During World War I and World War II, A&M commissioned more officers than the military academies combined.
This probably has something to do with the fact there were only TWO academies at the time (Annapolis and West Point.) The AFA wasn't founded until AFTER WWII. And the second issue would be that the academies were only graduating around 400 students a year before the two wars. A&M had a peak of 6,500 cadets in 1940. West Point doesn't even have 4,500 TODAY. By 1942, when the war was already under way, Congress authorized an increase to 2,496. They expanded to their current size in the 60's.

So A&M's chest thumping about having more commissioned officers than the academies combined has something to do with going to West Point or Annapolis was a far more prestigious and a very difficult appointment to get.

Macanudo, 2011
46%...yea, I would say, so be it. Trying to explain away the numbers who served in WWII is like trying to explain away a loss. It may be interesting but doesn't change the score.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Question for the Aggie fans:

1. Why did some in the band wear high boots, and the others didn't?

2. What on earth does your "cheerleaders" do? I mean all those hand gestures/dances or whatever you call it.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

2. What on earth does your "cheerleaders" do? I mean all those hand gestures/dances or whatever you call it.
Married to an Aggie I can answer both..

1. Seniors wear the high boots
2. They are practicing for the nutty farm in a few years.. logical destination for people running around wearing white jump suits.. :biggrin:

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012

Wiley's funny. Seniors do wear the boots. Cadets wear the WW2 uniform. Seniors wear the cavalry pants and boots. It's a big deal when they earn the boots. #2, we call them "yell leaders". If you make it to Kyle field next year you will get a better feel for what the yell leaders do. Yells are synchronized and the hand motions determine the pace of the yell. Hope that makes sense. Hand motions also communicate to the fans what yell they are about to do. Makes sure is everyone is on the same page and yelling together.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.