Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team acbl_phill's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

espn 30 for 30: Ghosts of Ole Miss

Did anyone else watch this? It was really good. I highly recommend watching it if possible.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: espn 30 for 30: Ghosts of Ole Miss

Very well produced. It seemed a bit disjointed at times. Lots of ambiguity though, which was frustrating.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Yes I watched it, for sure I recommend it, it's history.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    Very well produced. It seemed a bit disjointed at times. Lots of ambiguity though, which was frustrating.
    Yes, I agree on the producing. I think it's the same guy that did Roll Tide War Eagle. He also has a great voice, doesn't match his body though.

BamaNation Hall of Fame exiledNms's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I did, & agree that it was good. mrs. exiled hasn't been able to watch it yet, but plans to catch tonight's re-run. I was alerted to the show by exiled, jr., who is an Ole Miss grad. He liked it too. He said James Meredith attends games in Oxford regularly & walks around in the Grove before games; I told my son that there's a photo worth standing in line for.

Naturally, in some of the national responses, there are ignoramus Yankees saying that things in the South/Mississippi/the U. of MS haven't changed. Of course, as we all know, 100% of the racism & hate that has ever occurred in this country happened in the South & still does. Because as we all know, African Americans never get elected in MS...(oops!) You know, down here where the KKK was founded & all...(oops again!)

Back on point, it's showing again tonight ~9:30 central. ESPN 2 I believe.
    exiled

-------------------------
    "Let's see when we get a full body of work at the end of the season. If you get satisfied and you fall in love with yourself, you get complacent and lose your desire."
    Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com
    I missed it!
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Frankly, I enjoyed the film, and as a social studies teacher, I always love it when films basically make the audience answer the question. Additionally, I always learn a lot from these films since I'm from California, and I'm always wanting to learn more about Southern history. There's no doubt that the South was a major stage for the civil rights movement, but it wasn't the only stage. The civil rights movement occurred all across the major areas of the U.S.

I do want to ask - what are y'alls thoughts on the song Dixie? I don't really see anything wrong with the current lyrics (apparently they've been changed a lot since the original song debuted during the Civil War), but are there really people against the song because of its original targets?
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Pretty good stuff. I tweeted my instant thoughts afterward. Which was basically this: Tubbs (and subsequently Cutcliffe) recruited me to play at Ole Miss. And now that I'm older. as a Black man, I can't believe that I ever seriously consider playing there (because at the time, Confederate flags were still being waved in the stands). But I wound up attending Alabama (and not playing football at all by the way) which, in terms of racial tension in a historical context, is probably 100x worse. But me going there was ok, because it was home. And Foster's Auditorium, which had been a symbolic reminder of those tensions, is now a bastion of racial harmony and acceptance.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by exiledNms View Post
    I did, & agree that it was good. mrs. exiled hasn't been able to watch it yet, but plans to catch tonight's re-run. I was alerted to the show by exiled, jr., who is an Ole Miss grad. He liked it too. He said James Meredith attends games in Oxford regularly & walks around in the Grove before games; I told my son that there's a photo worth standing in line for.

Naturally, in some of the national responses, there are ignoramus Yankees saying that things in the South/Mississippi/the U. of MS haven't changed. Of course, as we all know, 100% of the racism & hate that has ever occurred in this country happened in the South & still does. Because as we all know, African Americans never get elected in MS...(oops!) You know, down here where the KKK was founded & all...(oops again!)

Back on point, it's showing again tonight ~9:30 central. ESPN 2 I believe.
    My wife is an Oxford native/OM grad. I'm sure she'd like to see it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaTide View Post
    Frankly, I enjoyed the film, and as a social studies teacher, I always love it when films basically make the audience answer the question. Additionally, I always learn a lot from these films since I'm from California, and I'm always wanting to learn more about Southern history. There's no doubt that the South was a major stage for the civil rights movement, but it wasn't the only stage. The civil rights movement occurred all across the major areas of the U.S.

I do want to ask - what are y'alls thoughts on the song Dixie? I don't really see anything wrong with the current lyrics (apparently they've been changed a lot since the original song debuted during the Civil War), but are there really people against the song because of its original targets?
    I love the song. It brings tears to my eyes. I love the south, I love Dixie. To me there is nothing racial about the song or loving the south.

BamaNation Hall of Fame exiledNms's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaTide View Post
    I like it. I particularly like the slow version that the Ole Miss band used to play. I believe it's "From Dixie With Love" and goes into the Battle Hymn of the Republic after Dixie.

Was banned by the Chancellor a couple of years back. So, yes, there really are people against the song because of its origin.
    exiled

-------------------------
    "Let's see when we get a full body of work at the end of the season. If you get satisfied and you fall in love with yourself, you get complacent and lose your desire."
    Nick Saban

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember my old school in rural Lauderdale County had Dixie as its fight song - when it played across the river in Colbert County, the band often stayed on the bus. Or didn't play the fight song.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed it. I grew up in Mississippi but am an alum of Alabama. My daughter is a Freshmen at Bama. The progress we've made over a few generations in unbelievable.