Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: espn 30 for 30: Ghosts of Ole Miss

Quote Originally Posted by TidefaninOS View Post
    Earle, can you elaborate on this? Even as a 65-year old Alabamian, I don't think I've heard about this. Thanks!
    It was the same deal Ross Barnett had and welshed on. The federalized National Guard and federal marshals marched with Hood and Malone to the door of Foster, where Wallace stood in the doorway. Wallace read his prepared statement and then, as prearranged, stepped aside and let them enter. I missed the action by a few days. I had graduated from law school just a few days earlier and had just left campus. Here's the Wiki link to it. It's pretty accurate...

LINK
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

confederate flags flew in bryant-denny when i was there from 91-95. and not just in the fraternity/KA section.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Earle, what was Coach Bryant's opinion of George Wallace? Were they friendly towards each other? Did he see his racial politics as a hinderance to the football program and the university as a whole? How hard did Bryant push integrating the football team?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Earle, what was Coach Bryant's opinion of George Wallace? Were they friendly towards each other? Did he see his racial politics as a hinderance to the football program and the university as a whole? How hard did Bryant push integrating the football team?
    I'm just dealing with my impressions here, since I wasn't close enough, and very few were, to Coach to know how he felt privately, but my impression was that he didn't have much affection for Wallace. From private remarks which leaked out, Bryant wanted to integrate the team years before he did. Knowing that, it's hard to imagine that he could have regarded Wallace as anything on earth other than an obstacle...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the stand in the schoolhouse door was done just so Wallace could save face publicly.
    Ross Barnett did the same thing at Ole Miss. As James Meredith approached the registrar's office, flanked by federal marshalls, Barnett stood in the doorway. Barnett said "OK, which one of you is Meredith?" Meredith, of course, was the only non-white face within miles.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It was the same deal Ross Barnett had and welshed on. The federalized National Guard and federal marshals marched with Hood and Malone to the door of Foster, where Wallace stood in the doorway. Wallace read his prepared statement and then, as prearranged, stepped aside and let them enter. I missed the action by a few days. I had graduated from law school just a few days earlier and had just left campus. Here's the Wiki link to it. It's pretty accurate...

LINK
    Thanks, Earle. I guess I didn't know, or had forgotten, that this was "prearranged".
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by acbl_phill View Post
    Yes, I agree on the producing. I think it's the same guy that did Roll Tide War Eagle. He also has a great voice, doesn't match his body though.
    It is. His name is Wright Thompson. Writes for ESPN, ESPN the Magazine, Grantland, etc. Has done some great articles on Bourbon FWIW

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by acbl_phill View Post
    I love the song. It brings tears to my eyes. I love the south, I love Dixie. To me there is nothing racial about the song or loving the south.
    When the Civil War was over, it was none other than President Abraham Lincoln that announced that the Union armies had won back "Dixie." His words were: " . . . I thought 'Dixie' was one of the best tunes I ever heard . . . I have heard that our adversaries over the way had attempted to appropriate it. I insisted yesterday that we had fairly captured it . . . I presented the question to the Attorney General and he gave his opinion that it is our lawful prize. I asked the band to give us a good turn upon it."
    In later years, when there was grumbling over America as our National Anthem, it is reported that Teddy Roosevelt suggested "Dixie" as a substitute.
    Today, "Dixie" is making a slow and gradual comeback. Bands are again venturing to play it. Perhaps, when all the wounds and scars of the Civil War and the movement for equality have fully healed, "Dixie" will again be as popular as in the days when Dan Emmett so harmlessly composed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama1985 View Post
    When the Civil War was over, it was none other than President Abraham Lincoln that announced that the Union armies had won back "Dixie." His words were: " . . . I thought 'Dixie' was one of the best tunes I ever heard . . . I have heard that our adversaries over the way had attempted to appropriate it. I insisted yesterday that we had fairly captured it . . . I presented the question to the Attorney General and he gave his opinion that it is our lawful prize. I asked the band to give us a good turn upon it."
    In later years, when there was grumbling over America as our National Anthem, it is reported that Teddy Roosevelt suggested "Dixie" as a substitute.
    Today, "Dixie" is making a slow and gradual comeback. Bands are again venturing to play it. Perhaps, when all the wounds and scars of the Civil War and the movement for equality have fully healed, "Dixie" will again be as popular as in the days when Dan Emmett so harmlessly composed it.
    I have nothing against the words or music. I simply have different emotions, owing to my family history vis a vis the Confederacy. My great grandfather, having lost all his worldly goods to them, was no fan of it. About the kindest names he called them were "vipers" and "dogs," (referring to the politicians in Montgomery - not the soldiers)...

BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I'm just dealing with my impressions here, since I wasn't close enough, and very few were, to Coach to know how he felt privately, but my impression was that he didn't have much affection for Wallace. From private remarks which leaked out, Bryant wanted to integrate the team years before he did. Knowing that, it's hard to imagine that he could have regarded Wallace as anything on earth other than an obstacle...
    Despite his desire to integrate earlier than everyone else wanted, didn't Bryant hold off partly because he felt that since he [Bryant] was a state employee, Wallace could fire him for integrating the team? I thought I had read that somewhere about CPB...
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Because of this thread, I decided to get up early this morning and watch this. Very interesting. I really had no idea that ANY of that happened. Everyone hears about Gov Wallace on the steps of Alabama, but I had no idea that this played out at Ole Miss in 1962, a year earlier.

BamaNation Second Team acbl_phill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Because of this thread, I decided to get up early this morning and watch this. Very interesting. I really had no idea that ANY of that happened. Everyone hears about Gov Wallace on the steps of Alabama, but I had no idea that this played out at Ole Miss in 1962, a year earlier.
    Exactly. I'm from Alabama and I never learned this in any history class, high school or college. But Wallace, that's a different story.

BamaNation Hall of Fame exiledNms's Avatar

My son's roomie--an Ole Miss classmate of his & an African American guy--has a pic taken a couple of years ago of himself standing in the Grove w/ James Meredith. One of the coolest pics ever, imo.
    exiled

-------------------------
    "Let's see when we get a full body of work at the end of the season. If you get satisfied and you fall in love with yourself, you get complacent and lose your desire."
    Nick Saban