espn 30 for 30: Ghosts of Ole Miss

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Very well produced. It seemed a bit disjointed at times. Lots of ambiguity though, which was frustrating.

acbl_phill

Scout Team
Aug 25, 2010
Birmingham
Very well produced. It seemed a bit disjointed at times. Lots of ambiguity though, which was frustrating.
Yes, I agree on the producing. I think it's the same guy that did Roll Tide War Eagle. He also has a great voice, doesn't match his body though.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I did, & agree that it was good. mrs. exiled hasn't been able to watch it yet, but plans to catch tonight's re-run. I was alerted to the show by exiled, jr., who is an Ole Miss grad. He liked it too. He said James Meredith attends games in Oxford regularly & walks around in the Grove before games; I told my son that there's a photo worth standing in line for.

Naturally, in some of the national responses, there are ignoramus Yankees saying that things in the South/Mississippi/the U. of MS haven't changed. Of course, as we all know, 100% of the racism & hate that has ever occurred in this country happened in the South & still does. Because as we all know, African Americans never get elected in MS...(oops!) You know, down here where the KKK was founded & all...(oops again!)

Back on point, it's showing again tonight ~9:30 central. ESPN 2 I believe.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Frankly, I enjoyed the film, and as a social studies teacher, I always love it when films basically make the audience answer the question. Additionally, I always learn a lot from these films since I'm from California, and I'm always wanting to learn more about Southern history. There's no doubt that the South was a major stage for the civil rights movement, but it wasn't the only stage. The civil rights movement occurred all across the major areas of the U.S.

I do want to ask - what are y'alls thoughts on the song Dixie? I don't really see anything wrong with the current lyrics (apparently they've been changed a lot since the original song debuted during the Civil War), but are there really people against the song because of its original targets?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Pretty good stuff. I tweeted my instant thoughts afterward. Which was basically this: Tubbs (and subsequently Cutcliffe) recruited me to play at Ole Miss. And now that I'm older. as a Black man, I can't believe that I ever seriously consider playing there (because at the time, Confederate flags were still being waved in the stands). But I wound up attending Alabama (and not playing football at all by the way) which, in terms of racial tension in a historical context, is probably 100x worse. But me going there was ok, because it was home. And Foster's Auditorium, which had been a symbolic reminder of those tensions, is now a bastion of racial harmony and acceptance.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I did, & agree that it was good. mrs. exiled hasn't been able to watch it yet, but plans to catch tonight's re-run. I was alerted to the show by exiled, jr., who is an Ole Miss grad. He liked it too. He said James Meredith attends games in Oxford regularly & walks around in the Grove before games; I told my son that there's a photo worth standing in line for.

Naturally, in some of the national responses, there are ignoramus Yankees saying that things in the South/Mississippi/the U. of MS haven't changed. Of course, as we all know, 100% of the racism & hate that has ever occurred in this country happened in the South & still does. Because as we all know, African Americans never get elected in MS...(oops!) You know, down here where the KKK was founded & all...(oops again!)

Back on point, it's showing again tonight ~9:30 central. ESPN 2 I believe.
My wife is an Oxford native/OM grad. I'm sure she'd like to see it...

acbl_phill

Scout Team
Aug 25, 2010
Birmingham
Frankly, I enjoyed the film, and as a social studies teacher, I always love it when films basically make the audience answer the question. Additionally, I always learn a lot from these films since I'm from California, and I'm always wanting to learn more about Southern history. There's no doubt that the South was a major stage for the civil rights movement, but it wasn't the only stage. The civil rights movement occurred all across the major areas of the U.S.

I do want to ask - what are y'alls thoughts on the song Dixie? I don't really see anything wrong with the current lyrics (apparently they've been changed a lot since the original song debuted during the Civil War), but are there really people against the song because of its original targets?
I love the song. It brings tears to my eyes. I love the south, I love Dixie. To me there is nothing racial about the song or loving the south.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I like it. I particularly like the slow version that the Ole Miss band used to play. I believe it's "From Dixie With Love" and goes into the Battle Hymn of the Republic after Dixie.

Was banned by the Chancellor a couple of years back. So, yes, there really are people against the song because of its origin.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I remember my old school in rural Lauderdale County had Dixie as its fight song - when it played across the river in Colbert County, the band often stayed on the bus. Or didn't play the fight song.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'm neutral about it. My family, like very many in north Alabama and eastern Tennessee, sided with the Union. As a kid, in the 1950's, I declared against segregation, when it wasn't very popular, not realizing I was following the lead of my ancestors. One great-grandfather served in the 1st Alabama Cavalry (US). One family story which was passed down had an interesting twist. My great-grandmother (half Cherokee) had used the last corn meal in the house to bake a hoe cake. A Union foraging party came through and searched the house. One soldier sniffed out the cake where my GGM had hidden it under a bed. She sneaked up behind him and almost brained him with her frying pan. Instead of the retribution you might expect, the soldier was disciplined. That was puzzle to me for years until I found that her husband, my GGF, was a respected member of the Union League who'd had all his property confiscated by the confederate State of Alabama. (He sued after the war to recover his property, but the defendants [same guys who did the confiscation] defended successfully on the grounds that the confiscation was carried out by an illegal rebel regime.) I have his diary from 1867 and it's as anti-confederate as you might expect. I have nothing from him post-Reconstruction, and I've give a lot to find out what his attitude was then. I think loyalty was rewarded, as he was the secretary to the first constitutional convention, post-war. He was a UVA graduate...

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011

When you hear it in person, the hair will stand up on the back of your neck. It made me think of the Oxford Greys that sustained 100% casualities at the Battle of Gettysburg. I think Ole Miss earned the mascot, "Rebels" that day.
James Meridith has to be one of the most couragous people of recent times. To have all that hate spewed at him and just go on about his business was amazing. He was also shot in the back at a later date.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I grew up in Jackson, MS and every time a story or movie comes out about that time frame there are connections or familiarities I am able to identify with.

For this particular movie, my first job after college was at a bank in Jackson and James Meredith was a regular customer of ours. I did not know him personally; he was "Mr. Meredith" and even then, in 1982 he was already a legend among blacks and whites, 20 years removed from Ole Miss.

My grandfather served with former Gov. William Winter in the Mississippi legislature in the mid to late 40's and was good friends with him. I saw Gov. Winter a few years ago - he actually spoke at my daughter's HS graduation and went out of his way to talk to her and tell her stories about her great grandfather, who died when she was 11 and she had not gotten to know him very well.

The list could go on. From "Ghosts of Mississippi" I went to high school with the children of Judge Russell Moore who had presided over the original Beckwith trial and had the rifle stashed away in his Clinton, MS house. I remember seeing on CNN when Beckwith was booked into the Hinds County jail following his trial. A childhood friend of mine was the sheriff's deputy assigned to his processing. Medgar Evers was gunned down in his driveway about five miles from where we lived. Mississippi's Civil Rights era was all around me, whether I knew it or not.

I grew up in a Mississippi that had segregated schools until I was in 5th grade. As one of the Ole Miss players from the program said, that was society's norm and I was too young and naive to try to figure it out. It was complex and chaotic, and some still haven't gotten it figured out. I will be long gone before enough generations have passed that this is no longer seared into the fabric of who we are.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I grew up in Jackson, MS and every time a story or movie comes out about that time frame there are connections or familiarities I am able to identify with.

For this poarticular movie, my first job after college was at a bank uin Jackson and James Meredith was a regular customer of ours. I did not know him personally; he was "Mr. Meredith" and even then, in 1982 he was alreay a legend among blacks and whites, 20 years removed from Ole Miss.

My grandfather served with former Gov. William Winter in the Mississippi legislature in the mid to late 40's and was good friends with him. I saw Gov. Winter a few years ago - he actually spoke at my daughter's HS graduation and went out of his way to talk to her and tell her stories about her great grandfather.

The list could go on. From "Ghosts of Mississippi" I went to high school with the children of Judge Russell Moore who had presided over the original Beckwith trial and had the rifle stashed away in his Clinton, MS house. I remember seeing on CNN when Beckwith was booked into the Hinds Count jail following his trial. A childhood friend of mine was the sheriff's deputy assigned to his processing. Medgar Evers was gunned down in his driveway about five miles from where we lived. Mississippi's Civil Rights era was all around me, whether I knew it or not.

I grew up in a Mississippi that had segregated schools until I was in 5th grade. As one of the Ole Miss players from the program said, that was society's norm and I was too young and naive to try to figure it out. It was complex and chaotic, and some still haven't gotten it figured out. I will be long gone before enough generations have passed that this is no longer seared into the fabric of who we are.
Liz and I are watching it. Of course, she lived through it, being from there and a student at the time...

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
I can understand the words of the player when he said he hoped the film would be used to heal the wounds and not fester them up again. Sad and inspiring film all at the same time. I can't imagine what it was like for her. I'm sure she has some history to be told that is even more interesting.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.