Would Spurrier do as well at UF now?

BAMA 22 HEISMAN

1st Team
Dec 13, 2009
Just wondering if in this day and time he would do as well if he went back to UF which I know is not happening but that is why we have a discussion board.

This really comes from K state and how well they are doing this season seeing as Bill Snyder is back as coach.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Just wondering if in this day and time he would do as well if he went back to UF which I know is not happening but that is why we have a discussion board.

This really comes from K state and how well they are doing this season seeing as Bill Snyder is back as coach.
Eh, No, I don't think so. The program has gone in different direction, and It is most likely he would be struggling to win at Florida, He would have maybe 8 or 9 win seasons sometime 10.. but I just can't see him back at FL... I can't. He's better off staying at SC...

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Yes, I think he would do quite well back with the gators. But we'll never know. Not sure how many more seasons SOS has left in him at this point. What is he, 67?

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Tebow still would have gone to Florida. Don't know if he still would of got Percy Harvin or some of these other players CUM recruited nationally. Overall he would have still been fine had he stayed.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Doing well? Yes. Doing as well? eh...maybe. Seems that SOS is minus just a smidgen of the drive that he once had to me. Could be just my perception, I suppose.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
He has made USCe competitive. Consider who the competition would be, at least for the east: Tennessee and Georgia. I could see Spurrier leading Florida to consistenly competing for the eastern divisional on a near annual basis. Tennessee is a shambles right now, and Richt just manages to win enough to keep his seat from getting too toasty.

Once Spurrier leaves USCe (retires), I think they'll drop back to 4th in the east, on average. Maybe 5th if Mizzou edges them.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Doing well? Yes. Doing as well? eh...maybe. Seems that SOS is minus just a smidgen of the drive that he once had to me. Could be just my perception, I suppose.
definitely agree. He spends more time playing golf and letting his assistants do all the recruiting and day to day game week management than he ever did. He hates recruiting.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
And that actually started near the end of his time at Florida. I think that's what partially drove him to leave for the NFL.

One thing Spurrier was able to capitalize on at Florida (besides how easy it is to recruit there) was that the SEC was relatively weak (compared to now) during the early to mid-90s. You had UT and Bama, that was basically it. With the rise of GA, LSU and - briefly - Auburn, the conference has built a reputation as being solid from top to bottom.

So, I agree with the sentiment that he'd probably be doing well; but not dominating the conference like he did intially.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yes, and his calculated soundbites are also still good.
He would be on a second wind similar to Coach Bryant in the 70's after going through some sort of transition patch.

Coach Spurrier helped put an end to the Jock Talking head coach with the elite teams. Obviously we were behind the curve with the Mike Dubose hire. I personally never really thought much about his communication skills during the hiring process, it was more like his toughness and association. Coach Fran was our first modern day coach :)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't think so.

Spurrier once had a burning determination to go with his sandpaper personality. But I think the reason he took the South Carolina job was that the pressure is off. If they win 8 or 9 games and go to a decent bowl game, they're happy. An occasional East championship and competitive. At Florida he would be back in the pressure cooker, and I think he's done with that.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I don't think so.

Spurrier once had a burning determination to go with his sandpaper personality. But I think the reason he took the South Carolina job was that the pressure is off. If they win 8 or 9 games and go to a decent bowl game, they're happy. An occasional East championship and competitive. At Florida he would be back in the pressure cooker, and I think he's done with that.
Good points Bill. A big difference in the expectations in Columbia and Gainesville.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He would do well lat UF. Do I see any reason he couldn't match the level of success Les Miles is having at LSU? I do not... Spurrier is still a very good coach and there are a few programs that almost run themselves. Florida is one of those.

BAMA 22 HEISMAN

1st Team
Dec 13, 2009
He would do well lat UF. Do I see any reason he couldn't match the level of success Les Miles is having at LSU? I do not... Spurrier is still a very good coach and there are a few programs that almost run themselves. Florida is one of those.
Charlie Weis stole the keys to the car and almost ran it into a telephone pole.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
He took USCe to the SECCG in 2010 and won 11 games at USCe last year while playing practically the same schedule he would have at Florida. There's no doubt he would have done as good or better than that at UF. I doubt he would have been as dominant as once was, but that's mainly because the state of SEC is much better now than it was in his glory years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.