Blog: Latest Bama News 10/4/12

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
They’d just clinched at least a tie for the SEC West title. They’d just survived the best team and the most suffocating environment on their schedule. They’d just walked out of a place where other teams’ dreams go to die, to borrow a phrase Miles used after laying Spurrier and South Carolina to rest.Alabama saw its dream’s life flash before its eyes, but look at Saban and company now. Their dream’s heart was beating awfully fast on Saturday night in Death Valley, but come the morning, it’ll still be beating.

Scarbinsky: For Alabama, one comeback at LSU beats eight beatdowns-al.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
This is my column for today's print editions. With a late game undecided until the final minute, I didn't get to express all the thoughts I wanted. I wrote it during the fourth quarter, inserting some of the details I wanted after the winning touchdown. Also, I had to write a different column, in case that comeback hadn't worked and Alabama lost. I don't think I'm going to let you see that one.

Opinion: No. 1 Bama handles LSU’s shot to the jaw-Daily Bama Blog

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"Our players have to be aware that they can take this one way or the other," Saban said. "This one is either going to affect them in a positive way or a negative way with what they do in the future. They can focus on the things they didn't do and take the next challenge and continue to improve and be ready to play next week and prepare and practice next week or they can say, 'We're satisfied for ourselves with what we did.'"
McCarron Miracle: No. 1 Alabama stuns No. 5 LSU, 21-17, after AJ McCarron drives the Tide to victory | al.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"I just looked at everybody on the sideline," Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron said. "We got down for a minute, but we pulled it together. I told them, 'We do it every Thursday in practice. It doesn't matter how many people are in the stands. The field is still 100 yards long, and we have to go put it in the end zone.'"
Schlabach: McCarron saves best for last - SEC Blog - ESPN

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama: He certainly didn't have his best game -- until the very end. After completing just 1 of 7 second-half passes before the Tide's final drive against LSU, McCarron stepped up and showed some mettle by hitting four of his final five pass attempts, including a 28-yard screen pass to running back T.J. Yeldon that delivered the 21-17 victory. McCarron stood tall on the biggest drive of his career and kept the Tide on its path to not just the SEC title but the national title.
SEC helmet stickers: Week 10 - SEC Blog - ESPN

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
It's still Alabama's world: The Crimson Tide went right down to the wire with fifth-ranked LSU. Alabama was outplayed for most of the game, but when Alabama needed a game-winning drive, AJ McCarron delievered, connecting on 4 of 5 passes for 72 yards and the decisive 28-yard touchdown on a screen pass. Now, the rest of the nation has to continue looking up at the Tide. If LSU had won, the SEC's BCS world might have been turned upside down, but now Oregon, Kansas State and Notre Dame are all jockeying for position to play Alabama (if the Tide can continue their winning ways). Alabama controls its own destiny to not only on the path to the SEC title game but also the Discover BCS National Championship in Miami.
What we learned in the SEC: Week 10 - SEC Blog - ESPN

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"We knew a game like this was coming somewhere along the way, and we were going to be ready for it," Alabama senior safety Robert Lester said. "We pride ourselves on being ready for any situation, and tonight we created another part of our identity. "We showed the world that we can overcome hard situations."
Alabama shows its mettle in crunch time - SEC Blog - ESPN

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"It was a surreal feeling watching [Yeldon]," Jones said. "I was looking around for a flag. I didn't want to go crazy before I knew it was for real." Alabama fans are probably still pinching themselves, after watching their team nearly lose for the first time this season. Instead, the Crimson Tide will remain No. 1 in the BCS standings and on track to play for their third BCS national championship in four seasons in Miami on Jan. 7. Jones said the normally stoic Saban was even beside himself after the victory, giving players big bear hugs in the locker room afterward. "I've never seen him so happy," Jones said. "He gave me a big hug. I think it was special for him. It was cool."
AJ McCarron came up big for Alabama Crimson Tide -- college football - ESPN

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Afterward, McCarron's father remembered something he'd told his son at the team hotel before the game. "There's 100,000 people there to party," Tony McCarron said. ".... 'em off." All those Tigers did look ticked as AJ McCarron ran and jumped the railing to hug his father, mother and stepfather after a drive that, if the rest of the season goes as planned, will go down in Alabama history. As he hugged his family and blinked away tears in his eyes, McCarron knew he had done something amazing. His entire life, he had imagined leading Alabama to a last-minute win in one of the SEC's holy houses. Now, he had done just that. McCarron had gone into the place where opponents' dreams come to die and made his own dream come true.
Alabama beats LSU in Death Valley to stay atop SEC, BCS race - Andy Staples - SI.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
LSU carried the fight to Alabama in the first quarter but managed only a field goal in the period, taking a 3-0 lead on Alleman's 38-yarder. The Crimson Tide seemed to right the ship in the second quarter. First, it went on its most impressive march of the season, a 92-yard drive capped by a 7-yard Eddie Lacy touchdown run. Alabama then benefited from a questionable decision by LSU coach Les Miles. The Tigers attempted an unlikely 54-yard field goal by Alleman that fell far short and gave UA possession at its 37 with 1:08 left in the first half. UA covered the 63 yards in less than a minute, with McCarron scoring on a 9-yard run to push the lead to 14-3. Even with the lead, Alabama coach Nick Saban cautioned that his team was "not stopping the run well enough," words that proved prophetic in the second half. Instead of fading, LSU came back strong on both sides of the ball, stifling the Crimson Tide offense and showing unexpected offensive spark. With McCarron enduring the worst half of his career, Alabama could not move the ball. His opposite number, Mettenberger, finished 24 of 35 for 298 yards, while McCarron was 14 for 27 for 165 yards. But McCarron got the yards that mattered most.
TideSports.com - Alabama survives Death Valley, tops LSU

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
The narrative of the last two Alabama-LSU match-ups had become powerful stuff, as much a struggle about the different ways that football can be played as it was a debate over the merits of the teams playing the games. These were the kind of games that caused fans in other parts of the country to grow drowsy, but the very kinds of battles that SEC fans saw as titanic defensive showdowns, the stuff that the history of the league was built on. On Saturday, Alabama and LSU finally found a happy medium, a 21-17 Alabama win that was as notable for the electricity that it generated in the second half as for the fact that it kept the Tide's and the SEC's national championship hopes alive. For once, the two teams produced a game worthy of the build-up, and the kind of game that rewarded those who pushed past the narrative to tune in anyway.

Alabama 21, LSU 17: Third Time's a Charm for Fans as the Tide Wins a Classic - Team Speed Kills

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
McCarron had played his way into contention for the Heisman Trophy with the efficient way he ran the Crimson Tide’s offense. Only recently, as Alabama rolled through its schedule, had McCarron’s brilliance — he had 16 touchdowns and zero interceptions entering Saturday — been appreciated. In all but two drives, McCarron was not brilliant Saturday. But as halftime approached, McCarron led the Crimson Tide on a 6-play, 63-yard drive, in under a minute, punctuated by his touchdown scamper. He played with similar touch and precision on the final drive, and afterward he said he had studied L.S.U.’s two-minute defense and found areas he could exploit. "He was locked in," Lacy said. "He’s always locked in every game, but it was something different this time, this drive."
Late Drive Lifts Alabama Over L.S.U. - NYTimes.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"I’ll take T.J. one-on-one against anybody," McCarron said. "That kid’s a freak of nature, man." Yeldon made one sharp cut, Loston flailed and fell. Defensive end Barkevious Mingo made one vain, diving attempt at the tackle and that was it. Touchdown. Crowd in shock. "It was a surreal feeling watching him," Jones said. "I was looking around for flags. I didn’t want to get too excited until I was sure." There were no flags. And there was no joy for the home team, which had played the Tide off their feet and to the brink of defeat. "This one hurt," LSU defensive tackle Bennie Logan said. "We put our heart and soul into it. We had the game in our hands and little mistakes cost us the game."

AJ McCarron, Alabama deliver with backs against the wall in vital SEC win over LSU - Yahoo! Sports

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"(Nussmeier) made a great play call. He felt like they were going to bring pressure, and they did," McCarron said. "I felt like it was going to be a good play, I just had to kind of jump off my back foot and get it high and give (Yeldon) a chance." Said Tony McCarron: "(A.J.) said all year long that T.J. is unbelievable, they just have to get him in the right situation. That was the right situation."
No. 1 Alabama wins with grace under pressure

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.