Blog: Latest Bama News 10/4/12

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
He found them in that mosh pit of Crimson in the southeast corner of Tiger Stadium. They ran down the aluminum steps to see him; he reached up into the crisp, cool air to grab them. And the tears flowed as AJ McCarron squeezed the last bit of emotion from this game into the outstretched arms of his parents. "So emotional," McCarron said. "So many thoughts going through my head." Only one really mattered: Alabama survived.
Alabama, AJ McCarron survive Death Valley with 21-17 victory - NCAA Football - Sporting News

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Tide rolls when it counts: For the majority of the game, the Crimson Tide couldn't get anything going against the Tigers' defense. But when it mattered, A.J. McCarron and the Alabama offense looked unstoppable. On its three scoring drives, Alabama racked up 227 yards, including a 92-yarder that started from its own 8-yard line with its backs against the LSU student section. The Tide managed only 104 yards of offense on every other drive.
Rapid Reaction - lsureveille.com : Football

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Les Miles just got be-hatted. The "Mad Hatter" coach went 0-for on fakes and fourth downs for the first time in his LSU career, and No. 1 Alabama came from behind in the final moments for a 21-17 victory in front of 93,374 - the largest crowd in Tiger Stadium history – Saturday night. No. 5 LSU led 17-14 with just 1:34 to play in the game, but Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron threw a short pass to tailback T.J. Yeldon, who shredded LSU’s defense for a 28-yard touchdown and the lead with 51 seconds to play. The score capped a 72-yard drive by Alabama (9-0, 6-0 Southeastern Conference) in just five plays and 43 seconds to end the nation’s longest home winning streak at 22 games. Alabama coach Nick Saban also handed Miles just his second Saturday night loss through 38 games and eight years at LSU. "That was obviously and impressive drive," Saban said. "It's something I'll never forget." Neither will LSU defensive tackle Bennie Logan. "We dominated the second half," he said. "One play cost us the game."
Another Bama bummer | Shreveporttimes | shreveporttimes.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"We showed the players this week the SEAL Team going in to get Bin Laden, and the adaptability they had to have when the helicopter landed on the fence instead of the porch," Saban said. Actually one of the Chinook helicopters crash-landed outside Bin Laden's compound in Abbottabad, but the coach can be forgiven a few historical liberties. That wasn't his point. "(The SEALs) had been trained to be adaptable in case something like that happened, so they were still successful," Saban said. "I think there was a lot of that out there from us (on Saturday)."

Alabama-LSU lives up to hype this time

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
But before that, LSU lost the game the first time by failing to get one more first down. The Tigers, leading 17-14 with 7:20 to play in the game, drove from their 18-yard line to the Alabama 32 while collecting three first downs and making Alabama use all of its timeouts by the 2:28 mark. After quarterback Zach Mettenberger topped off the best game of his career with a 22-yard completion to wide receiver Odell Beckham for that last first down, though, LSU coach Les Miles went to the ground game exclusively. Only then did Alabama stop the drive, forcing a field goal attempt on fourth and six from the Tide's 28. Drew Alleman missed it. Alabama took over with 1:34 left and drove 72 yards in five plays and 49 seconds for the win. "It's still killing me that we didn't finish that last drive getting the first down when we needed it," LSU offensive tackle Josh Dworaczyk said. "To give the ball back to Alabama's offense with the things that they were capable of doing on that last drive, I think those are the kinds of things they've been doing all year long. It's a huge emotional swing. We wanted to close off that last drive."
LSU was one first down away from the upset of No. 1 Bama | Shreveporttimes | shreveporttimes.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
All the numbers but the 21-17 final score seemed to favor the Tigers. LSU outgained Bama 435-331 — and lost. LSU got 107 yards rushing from Jeremy Hill — the Tigers were 31-2 under Miles coming in with a back rushing for 100 yards — and lost. LSU held a stunning 39:15 to 20:45 edge in time of possession — and lost. Zach Mettenberger, who everyone said needed to play the game of his young LSU career for the Tigers to have a chance, did exactly that. He stood his ground against Nick Saban’s multi-planed blitzes and delivered 298 yards on 24 of 35 passing, one touchdown and no interceptions — and lost. Speaking of turnovers, Bama had two and LSU had none — and lost. And, finally, LSU went 10 of 20 on third down to Alabama’s 1 of 9, a team forcing opponents into three-and-outs nearly 50 percent of the time — and lost.
Rabalais: On this night, LSU fought hard | LSU | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, LA

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Zach Mettenberger inherited the job of starting quarterback at LSU with great fan fare, billed as an upgrade from the Jordan Jefferson-Jarrett Lee combo that led the Tigers to the BCS title game last season. Just in time for the Alabama game, Mettenberger seemingly arrived. The junior quarterback connected on 24 of 35 passes for 298 yards and a touchdown, outdueling dark horse Heisman Trophy hopeful A.J. McCarron and nearly leading the fifth-ranked Tigers to an upset of No. 1 Alabama. A late touchdown gave the Crimson Tide a 21-17 lead to keep alive Alabama’s hopes of a repeat national championship. "As well as I played, I would’ve traded three interceptions for the win tonight," Mettenberger said

Mettenberger comes of age | LSU | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, LA

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"I'm proud of my team," Miles said. "I loved how they fought. I wish I had a couple of my calls back, just so you know. "Obviously, when they don't work, you'd always like to have them back." While message boards and the LSU postgame radio show crackled with criticism skewering Miles, his players had a different viewpoint. "He made those calls and we were behind him 100 percent," senior lineman Josh Dworaczyk said. "We work on those things and we tell him we want to run them. "Coach Miles save us everything he had and left it out there on the field just like we did. That's what he wanted out of us and that's what he got out of himself."
Fortunes reversed: LSU left with sick, empty feeling after 21-17 loss to Alabama | NOLA.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
No. 1-ranked Alabama broke LSU's heart for the second consecutive meeting but in an entirely different fashion. Instead of squeezing it slowly for four quarters, the Tide ripped it out of the Tigers' collective chest, taking with it what looked like a stunning LSU upset Saturday night before a record paid crowd of 93,374 in Tiger Stadium. AJ McCarron's 28-yard screen pass for a touchdown to T.J. Yeldon with 51 seconds remaining rescued the struggling Tide for a 21-17 victory that will be as hard to forget as the 21-0 crush job in last season's BCS title game. "Our football team came in here to play to win," LSU Coach Les Miles said afterward. "We went after it, and thought we played extremely hard. There are some sick guys back there."
LSU Tigers lose in heartbreaking fashion to Alabama, 21-17 | NOLA.com

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.