Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Did LSU expose Bama weaknesses or just surprised with how well Mettenburger played?

I give LSU a lot of credit. I'm not trying to make any excuses here...but don't you think Mettenburger's performance came out of no where?

So my question is: Did LSU expose some weaknesses or was Mettenburger's performance so unexpected that we didn't expect him to be able to do what he did?
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

2. Advertisement

Re: Did LSU expose Bama weaknesses or just surprised with how well Mettenburger playe

i dont think they exposed anything. last night was due to mettenberger's performance (and several other LSU players who played lights out), this being a "circle" game for LSU, and our team making several uncharacteristic mistakes. we weathered a perfect storm.

we wont make that many mistakes again this season
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Did LSU expose Bama weaknesses or just surprised with how well Mettenburger playe

i think some weaknesses were exposed. or at least some things that we need to get better at. In particular (and most dont agree with me and i've been saying it since about the 2nd or 3rd game) is our run defense up the middle. it needs to get stronger if we are to win it all again.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    My Mood
    Stressed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tide&True View Post
    So my question is: Did LSU expose some weaknesses or was Mettenburger's performance so unexpected that we didn't expect him to be able to do what he did?
    Yes.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Looked a lot like the South Carolina game in 2010 when Steven Garcia caught fire and beat us.

Mettenburger had the game of his life last night (don't know why I was shocked as often as we see this with opposing teams). Got to give the kid credit, though. We didn't seem to be able to rattle him at all.

Gary Danielson called it right when he said that the teams that give us fits are the ones with a hot QB.

I was very worried about the LSU game with them having a week off to prepare for us.

Suspended

Reminds me of the perfect game South Carolina's QB (I believe it was Garcia) had against Bama in 2010...we obviously lost that game though

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Really tough night for the DB's is my opinion & the issue was out of position a lot, not getting to the QB on blitz.
    how many times did we hear Vinnie or Lester's name? Milner missing tackles just is not like him at all.

I guess they played so much they were wore out.

They have some things to work on before Saturday for sure.

BamaNation All-American

This was the best team we've faced and they ran the ball and they threw the ball. Mettenberger made a couple of miraculous throws. But there was also too many easy ones. They did a great job handling our blitz, and the quarterback clearly was seeing the field. Tough combination to beat, but we did.

That said, what surprised me once again was the stop-and-start nature of our offense. We gouged them with the run. We kept Mingo and Montgomery at bay. Yet we did nothing in the second hand until the final drive. Sure we fumbled near the goal line, but we had several opportunities to close the bar early last night and couldn't do anything with them.

If we make it to Miami, will not have that luxury against a team like Oregon.

Suspended

The radio broadcast was saying that LSU was splitting a TE out wide and putting a WR in the slot. The safties get caught trying to cover a WR and would get beat. If Bama puts another CB in for the slower safety, LSU would run and make the smaller corner attempt to tackle the big RBs.
    There is a lot of talent on the LSU offense, just no clue what to do with it most of the time.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood

A lot of stars aligned for LSU. Playing at night in their house. Having a bye week while we played a game that injured our top receiver and our QB. Etc. etc. We had a few weaknesses exposed, and a lot of those weaknesses had to do with either injuries or new guys/ new positions.

But we had a team indoctrinated with the belief that this was a 60 minute ball game and they were prepared to win because they had practiced to do so.

People may call him all the names in the book, but there is no coach that prepares athletes better to battle than Coach Nick Saban. I am forever appreciative of that fact.

My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

Some of those plays our guys were in perfect position but a great throw beat it. I take my hat off to a good game plan and Met played out of his head.

BamaNation All-American

I posted in the sticky threads before the game that LSU would play to Mettenbergers strengths. This was no surprise because Mettenberger has had trouble all year with the mid range and long ball so they just shortened his throws. Mettenberger did very well on the short throws and Bama had trouble getting LSU off the field on 3rd down. I look for more of the same from TAMU, they know they can't run on Bama so they will stay with the quick throws before the blitz can get to their QB and hope the TAMU QB can scramble enough to avoid whatever DB is assigned to keep him reigned in. The TAMU RB's will block or catch short passes.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood

To be honest..LSU didn't expose a weakness at all..WR's have been open against us every game we've played this year..Mettenberger was just the 1st QB that executed to those open WR's..Plus..Had we executed on offense earlier in the game when we had the opportunity..We would have won the game easily..We took LSU's best shot..Withstood it..And showed college football why we're the #1 team in the nation..