Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Did LSU expose Bama weaknesses or just surprised with how well Mettenburger playe

my wife kept complaining that saban was not is usual self on the sidelines either. she was concerned that he was not screaming and yelling at everyone and tearing his hair out like he normally does. we were giving off an odd vibe last night, but we were still able to get out of the funk in time to win.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Re: Did LSU expose Bama weaknesses or just surprised with how well Mettenburger playe

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    my wife kept complaining that saban was not is usual self on the sidelines either. she was concerned that he was not screaming and yelling at everyone and tearing his hair out like he normally does. we were giving off an odd vibe last night, but we were still able to get out of the funk in time to win.
    That's a good point. It felt like everyone was flat and a bit "off" in general. The fact we kept it close despite our performance was remarkable in itself, let alone turning things around at the very end.

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

With our DEFENSE on the field 2/3's of the game (39 minutes and 15 seconds), they were a little tired in the 2nd half. Mettenburger's passing in the 2nd half was precise and the receivers were making plays. For an OL that wasn't what they started the year with, they played well. I really thought Alabama would be able to take advantage of their OL.

Here's hoping our OFFENSE is on the field for 40 minutes+ against the Aggies so our DEFENSE is fresh in dealing with Johnny Football. However, the Aggies do score quickly.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

There is a weak area in CNS' defense and they tapped into it a bit last night. They also kept our best defensive player CJ Mosley off the field most of the game by the sets they ran. That coupled with Mettenberger's game of a lifetime made for a tough night for the Tide. I also think we picked the wrong night to try and bolster AJ's passing stats. A lot of 3 and outs were from lack of establishing the power run game. One last thing that may have contributed; a few guys may have been reading the paper and watching too much ESPN lately.

LSU had the best gameplan against us I have seen in a while, plus very good execution and a little luck. Some of those passes were incredible. Had Les made a few more conservative calls last night the outcome might have been different. He didn't believe his team could actually line up and beat us. In the end that doubt led to some lame gambles and it cost them.
    Last edited by Dallas4Bama; November 4th, 2012 at 12:59 PM.

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    He was showing how patient he was with his players. You have to have a lot of patience to wait until the last minute and a half (a 43 second drive). I'm not sure that I've ever seen an Alabama team capable of doing what the Tide did last night in those 43 seconds. Was there Divine Intervention from above?

Even though we had a 14 to 3 lead at the half, I just didn't feel right with us not driving the ball down their throats at the beginning of the 2nd half.

Awesome! Roll Tide.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

Mettenburger was dialed in for sure, but IMO we made it way too easy in the 2nd half. If anything was exposed on defense, it was our lack of adjustment in the playcalling. It seemed like on every 3rd and medium to long, we'd blitz, it wouldn't get there, 1 or more receivers would be wide open, and an easy toss from Mettenburger moves the chains. I'm not sure we ever adjusted away from that.

That said, the defense did a great job holding them to just 17 points and giving the offense a chance to win it in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    He was showing how patient he was with his players. You have to have a lot of patience to wait until the last minute and a half (a 43 second drive). I'm not sure that I've ever seen an Alabama team capable of doing what the Tide did last night in those 43 seconds. Was there Divine Intervention from above?

Even though we had a 14 to 3 lead at the half, I just didn't feel right with us not driving the ball down their throats at the beginning of the 2nd half.

Awesome! Roll Tide.
    About CNS not going berserk on the sideline, this demonstrates to me the extent to which the man is in control of himself, his behavior, and the team that he coaches. He understood no doubt that Alabama was fighting for its collective life against LSU and berating players during the game for lapses in performance would probably have been counterproductive.

What AJ did at the end of the game was worthy of John Elway in his Broncos prime.

BamaNation Second Team

I think if it exposed anything it was our lack of running the ball on first downs, our offensive line wasn't relied on enough in the second half to take over the game like they could have. Yeldon and Lacy were gashing lsu in the middle and we got away from it. I underdstand the need to be balanced but after the first 3 and out im the second half gave lsu momentum we should have started pounding the ball between the tackles with our strength. JMO.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i dont think they exposed anything. last night was due to mettenberger's performance (and several other LSU players who played lights out), this being a "circle" game for LSU, and our team making several uncharacteristic mistakes. we weathered a perfect storm.

we wont make that many mistakes again this season
    When I agree with this guy, you know he must be telling the truth.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical View Post
    Some of those plays our guys were in perfect position but a great throw beat it. I take my hat off to a good game plan and Met played out of his head.
    I agree. Many of those throws would have been batted down or intercepted if they hadn't been thrown perfectly. It is a little like when people tried to say that Honey Badger couldn't cover anyone in the title game even though he was often in perfect position. There are times when a DB can cover perfectly, and the throw still gets completed. There were a few of those last night. We did leave a few guys wide open, but many were just great throws from a guy who hadn't made that many great throws all year combined. The simple summary for this game was this: our defense couldn't get off the field, and our offense couldn't stay on the field. We were dominated in the second half like we dominated them in the championship game. Fortunately, we had control at halftime, so we were in a position to put one drive together to get the win. I'm hoping for no more close games. Roll Tide!

BamaNation First Team BamaAlum97's Avatar
    I give full credit to LSU. They came in with a good gameplan and executed it very well. They were more physical then we were, and looked like the better team with the exceptions of the 2nd quarter and last 90 seconds.

That being said, the D still only gave up 17 points. It's hard to say they were dominated. The stats say a lot, but so does the scoreboard.

More missed tackles than usual and inability to get off the field on 3rd down were the big defensive issues IMO.

Offensively, we seemed to be out of sync. It's a game of inches and we were about a foot off for most of the game.

I loved the fight and finish of this team.
    Twitter: @BamaAlum97

The University of Alabama: Class of 1997
    Oklahoma State University: Class of 2005

There is a fine line between being a "die-hard" fan and just another critic!

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Tide Pride La. View Post
    I think if it exposed anything it was our lack of running the ball on first downs, our offensive line wasn't relied on enough in the second half to take over the game like they could have. Yeldon and Lacy were gashing lsu in the middle and we got away from it. I underdstand the need to be balanced but after the first 3 and out im the second half gave lsu momentum we should have started pounding the ball between the tackles with our strength. JMO.
    I was thinking the same thing. We were averaging about seven yards per carry, but we kept trying to throw. I wish we had continued to gash them up the gut until they changed their defense and then popped them over the top with play action. Simple truth- we dodged a bullet and were very fortunate to come out with a win. I hope this scare gets us ready for the rest of the season.

BamaNation All-SEC

Both and neither. Every defense that endures 70+ plays will tire and make mistakes. Our secondary is young, but they play well and will only get better. Yesterday was a combination of poor tackling, out of position and a very good LSU team. Also Mettenburger had the game of his life just like Garcia.