Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team CrimsonTheory's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Nerdy on TideFans.com

Re: Did LSU expose Bama weaknesses or just surprised with how well Mettenburger playe

LSU played their best game of the year while coming off a bye week and Alabama played their worst game of the year. Yet Bama still won the game. That is very telling. Despite LSU being prolly the better team last night, Alabama has been the better team for the better part of two years.

Hats of to LSU and Mett.
    the former CrimsonBleedRed.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Did LSU expose Bama weaknesses or just surprised with how well Mettenburger playe

You will not play another team like LSU this year. Texas A&M will be a challenge, but they do not have the personnel to take advantage of the things that LSU did to you.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simply not enough running in the second half. We were very productive with our running game - we just didn't go to it enough. Had we done so and got an extra FG or TD I think you would have seen LSU be forced to go with a more down field passing game likely leading to more INT opportunities.

We tried to keep the same game plan from last year; however we refused to believe that Mettie could continue to execute the way he did. More running would have kept the ball out of his hands.

Running the ball next week will be paramount if we expect to win.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaAlum97 View Post
    It's hard to say they were dominated. The stats say a lot, but so does the scoreboard.
    It's not really hard to say at all. Every Alabama fan including myself insisted on saying it last year after the game in Tuscaloosa. We dominated them statistically in that game and we lost. Almost each one of us here repeatedly pointed to that as why we would and eventually did win the championship game. LSU's defense stopped us for most of the night last night and our defense could not stop them most of the night. Plain and simple they beat us everywhere except the score board.

LSU took advantage of our defensive game plan. All week everyone in the country and most on here said we would focus on stopping their run and basically dare mettinberger to beat us with his arm. It looks as if that's what our plan was and he almost did.
    Last edited by Dallas4Bama; November 4th, 2012 at 01:28 PM.

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    You will not play another team like LSU this year. Texas A&M will be a challenge, but they do not have the personnel to take advantage of the things that LSU did to you.
    I concur to an extent. The Aggies have a big WR that will give our secondary problems. However, they do NOT have a big bruising running game to complement the passing attack.
    RTR!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

I think the fact that LSU is as physical as we are...was a huge factor! We will not see another team like that, except maybe ND (defense). They have some nfl players in waiting.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Quicksilver;2018983]About CNS not going berserk on the sideline, this demonstrates to me the extent to which the man is in control of himself, his behavior, and the team that he coaches. He understood no doubt that Alabama was fighting for its collective life against LSU and berating players during the game for lapses in performance would probably have been counterproductive.

What AJ did at the end of the game was worthy of John Elway in his Broncos prime.[/QUOTE

I would compare AJ's performance to my favorite old time NFL quarterback, Roger Staubach. He too was a master of the two minute offense but was a rairity in that he could have a terrible day and then in the last two minutes make 4 or 5 exceptional throws and pull off a win. Like AJ, he also had defense and running game that could keep the game close until the final 2 minutes. It takes an exceptional quarterback to turn a personally bad game (or half) into a win with one or two minutes of excellence.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Without the muffed punt and the fumbled handoff, the game isn't close. But they did happen so that is moot.
    I was a really great, exciting game, and all of the little things have pretty much been covered in this thread.
    Big picture, LSU had two weeks to prepare and they had a good game plan and obviously practiced it all two weeks. They executed it well. They were at home , at night and fired up.

We were a little flat, made some out of character mistakes on D like missed tackles, miss assignments, muffed punt.
    I think the biggest thing on offense was seemingly abandoning the running game for most of the second half. I believe we had 3 three and outs with three passes. Its like we followed our game plan of throwing on 1st down just for the sake of following the game plan. We didn't make real time adjustments. There are plenty of mistakes to work on and and we need to keep working on getting better.
    We showed that we aren't going to give up and will play for 60 minutes.
    Time to start getting ready for aTm.

BamaNation All-American Crimson Speed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When a 270 running back gets up a head of steam, he is hard to bring down. That is why they had so much success with their running game. Plus, they played a very balanced game with their QB having the game of his life. In recent history, I haven't seen a QB place such perfect passes against us. Our secondary will continue to grow and learn from this. In fact, it just might be what we need as a team to stay focused and continue to get better.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by gamersfuel View Post
    i think some weaknesses were exposed. or at least some things that we need to get better at. In particular (and most dont agree with me and i've been saying it since about the 2nd or 3rd game) is our run defense up the middle. it needs to get stronger if we are to win it all again.
    Linebacking isnt quite as great as it has been.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd agree that our DBs, especially Belue, were a bit "exposed" last night, but as has been pointed out above, a lot of that was the failure of our blitz packages to reach the QB in time (and his new-found guts to stand in, even when he was about to be punished). One of the staff told one of my best friends, after Jarrick went down, that, if we lost one more DB, we could kiss any championship aspirations goodbye...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com
    I'll chalk it up to being a rivalry game. Bama's better and just seemingly felt like the game was in hand. We had them. We let off the gas. That just what I saw.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I'd agree that our DBs, especially Belue, were a bit "exposed" last night, but as has been pointed out above, a lot of that was the failure of our blitz packages to reach the QB in time (and his new-found guts to stand in, even when he was about to be punished). One of the staff told one of my best friends, after Jarrick went down, that, if we lost one more DB, we could kiss any championship aspirations goodbye...

What other db's have we lost?
    Roll Tide