Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did LSU expose Bama weaknesses or just surprised with how well Mettenburger playe

Not sure about others, but I think that Travell Dixon was expected to be a contributor. He left the team during the summer citing personal reasons.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team TidePride50's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we were a bit flat and Mett had the game of his life as well. I'll be interested to see how he plays from this point forward. I thought Nick Perry had a rough game as well. He seemed to always be a count late getting to the receivers in open field. I thought Mett just made some great throws at Belue. He was in good position several times, just perfect thrown balls at him.
    Last edited by TidePride50; November 4th, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
    "Touch dat thang folk!"
    -Cortney Upshaw

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did LSU expose Bama weaknesses or just surprised with how well Mettenburger playe

The game didn't surprise me at all. In the pick the score thread I picked Bama 16-13 on a last play field goal.
    I don't think LSU exposed any weaknesses because we don't have any. LSU just finally executed to their potential, played with heart and fire, lined up and took it to us for much of the game. I honestly don't think Oregon, Kansas State nor Notre Dame could beat LSU in Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night. The Tigers are flat out good bordering great when playing at home.
    I'm just glad we played for 60 minutes and pulled out a win that champions are made of. I'm very happy today.
    sip

BamaNation First Team marcusroby's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Most teams won't have the abundance of talent at the skill positions to create the matchup issues that LSU did. That team was built to beat us and the QB played out of his mind.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

I think our injuries have really hampered Bama's offense more than we care to admit. Imagine if Fowler was healthy and Cooper and White...I would rest Cooper as much as possible and not play him until the championship game if possible. We are just a different team rushing with Fowler in there.

BamaNation First Team JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BFANLC View Post
    I think our injuries have really hampered Bama's offense more than we care to admit. Imagine if Fowler was healthy and Cooper and White...I would rest Cooper as much as possible and not play him until the championship game if possible. We are just a different team rushing with Fowler in there.
    True.... WHy would you want to rest Cooper for next few games? that doesn't make sense. We need Cooper as much as we can. Last night, we didn't see Cooper, Lacy was hurt. THe offense wasn't itself and they struggled mightly. We really need everyone back for Texas A and M.

BamaNation First Team JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    You will not play another team like LSU this year. Texas A&M will be a challenge, but they do not have the personnel to take advantage of the things that LSU did to you.
    I definitely agree. A and M reminds me of Mississippi State, only little more better.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tide&True View Post
    I give LSU a lot of credit. I'm not trying to make any excuses here...but don't you think Mettenburger's performance came out of no where?

So my question is: Did LSU expose some weaknesses or was Mettenburger's performance so unexpected that we didn't expect him to be able to do what he did?
    Every team has weaknesses, you just have to keep trying to improve on them while maintaining consistency in the stuff you've been doing well all along. That being said, everything was in alignment for LSU, revenge, raucous home crowd, two weeks to prepare, etc. ect..

The off week, I think, really helped them. They looked a step faster and fresher than us most of the night.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

A lot mo' better.

TAMU is a dynamic offense that can score quick off mental errors or drive down the field methodically. Defensively, they are very similar to MSU but they have a much better pass rush. They aren't a high takeaway defense nor particularly impressive with yardage allowed but they are good at affecting the passer and getting off the field on third down.

Consistency and maintaining intensity have been their biggest issues this year. They seem to wear down defensively and they sometimes can sputter offensively. Still, this is a threatening team - much more so than I thought of MSU going into the game - because they consistently start fast with good gameplans offensively. This is the exact kind of team that can landmine your title hopes. They're unique thus a hard game prep. They can put you in a hole quick if you have a "hangover" from the previous week. They also have the ability to disrupt offenses with an aggressive pass rush. If they start hot, they can snowball things on you quick because of these things.

I'm glad that TAMU looks like they'll be our new Arkansas game (the first SEC test of the season) going forward with the schedule. Though in the future we may fret over new guys on defense handling them, I'd rather play them there than right after LSU every year.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigBama76 View Post

The off week, I think, really helped them. They looked a step faster and fresher than us most of the night.
    I would have to believe that they were about as motivated for a game as you can get and is why I see this as the most impressive victory for us this year. I remember how I felt as a fan against Florida in the 2009 SECCG. We got our revenge, LSU didn't, and that's impressive.

BamaNation All-American 1FitToBeTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

What I saw exposed last night was the markings of a true championship team, that does what it has to do to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, if you'll excuse the cliche. We did exactly what we needed to do when we needed to do it. It's not always been like that in the last 20 years or so. We've had teams do the same thing to us and pull it out in the waning moments. There's more work to do before going to the big dance, but we turned a huge corner last night in a gut-check situation.

CNS is now 4-3 against Leslie now, I believe.

Well done, guys...

RTR

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    The game didn't surprise me at all. In the pick the score thread I picked Bama 16-13 on a last play field goal.
    I don't think LSU exposed any weaknesses because we don't have any. LSU just finally executed to their potential, played with heart and fire, lined up and took it to us for much of the game. I honestly don't think Oregon, Kansas State nor Notre Dame could beat LSU in Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night. The Tigers are flat out good bordering great when playing at home.
    I'm just glad we played for 60 minutes and pulled out a win that champions are made of. I'm very happy today.
    sip
    Agreed...how excited we're you over Norwood's game? I thought he played lights out...
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Exposed what many have whispered; Defense is not what it was last year. Bama is very good on defense; last year it was great.Need one more cover guy at safety. I don't think Belue was exposed. He played pretty well. Sunseri and Perry have trouble in one on one coverage against quick receivers. But everybody has trouble spots. Bama has fewer than most. Bama has great shot after great win, but it cannot afford an offnight by the offense against a great team.Not many great teams out there; I am happy to still have a shot. But that is what it is. It will take great play to win it all; but that is how it should be. Last year Bama was the best team. This year not as obvious.