Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Did LSU expose Bama weaknesses or just surprised with how well Mettenburger playe

Our secondary is the way to attack us defensively. we're younger and thinner there. We just hadn't seen a decent QB yet. We'll see one Saturday. I think we beat the Aggies, but it may very well another nailbiter. Our D isn't airtight like last year, which we knew.

If we had a fully healthy WR corp, I think AJ would have looked better last night.

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Did LSU expose Bama weaknesses or just surprised with how well Mettenburger playe

I've seen hints of this in previous games in which we give the opposing QB a lot of time to make a throw. It's hard to get to the QB with a 3 man front and sometimes I've seen us blitz corner/safety/LB and it they still can't get there in time. However, I would imagine that the team/coaches didn't believe Zach could exploit our secondary like he did even if he had adequate time to throw the ball. We know who's coming to town next week, so I'm confident some changes will be made accordingly.

BamaNation All-SEC RhodeIslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    LSU had an excellent gameplan for us. It was apparent that they spent a lot time - well before the bye week - planning for our defense. The biggest problem was that their interior OL was winning their share of battles and keeping them on schedule offensively. They're really the first team in a long time that has at least had a "draw" on the battle up front. The second problem they presented is that their simplicity offensively actually made it difficult for us to affect the passer without creating liabilities on the backend. Yes, they called plenty of 2-man and 3-man patterns which should be easy to cover but the max protection made it impossible to force a pass without leaving the backend in a lot of one-on-one situations. Their level of preparedness showed in they often had the exact routes called to find the soft spots in any blitz package we executed.

They knew all our blitzes seemingly. By playing a lot of 22 personnel (2 back, 2 tight) and max protection, they limited what we could execute which certainly helped their seemingly "being in our headsets" like playcalling. I told people that Mettenburger was closer to being the QB they need than many gave credit. They gave him a lot of simple reads, the coaches kept him safe but effective playcalls, and he was mostly given the protection needed to play pitch and catch with those short stick routes and button hitches on the outside.

This was probably the finest offensive gameplan I've seen against us since the 2009 UT game - which we also won - in terms of seemingly being in Saban/Smart's heads. Other teams have been more explosive but none of them were as well prepared for blitz packages and flat out consistently finding the soft spot as last night.
    Interesting observations. So if they were largely in max protection and we couldn't get to the QB with the blitz, then perhaps the matchup strategy next time will be to show blitz then drop back into coverage.
    It appeared that during their 2 minute offense that Mett had trouble finding his receivers with 8 in coverage.

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeIslandRed View Post
    Interesting observations. So if they were largely in max protection and we couldn't get to the QB with the blitz, then perhaps the matchup strategy next time will be to show blitz then drop back into coverage.
    It appeared that during their 2 minute offense that Mett had trouble finding his receivers with 8 in coverage.
    This. 3-4 man fronts against the Aggies and keep Johnny contained. He tends to force things if pressured appropriately.
    RTR!

BamaNation All-American JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

I was frustrated with Bama Secondary.... There was lot of missed tackles, misjudging the balls.. and that is not typical Saban defense. I Think they had an off night and Coach will correct that. I do expect them to play well this weekend... Johnny is going to have to do lot of running because I can't see him getting past Bama Defenders on several occasion. So expect lot of blitzes and he's going to feel it.

BamaNation First Team

LSU played a great game. They had two weeks to get ready, this game was their season, and they played like it. Didn't they start the season number 1? Mettenberger was a surprise, but as the announcers said, when we have lost a game the last few years, it was because the opposing qb played the game of his life, ie Steven Garcia etc. The whole issue was our inability to keep our offense on the field in the second half. The 3 and outs were killing me. But we found a way to get one more stop and our offense found a way to get it done. That's heart, aka "pluck and grit". Krymsonman

BamaNation All-SEC JAXFLBAMAFAN's Avatar

It would have been a different game had A.J. hit number 7 when he wide open in the first half for a TD. Bama would have been up 21 to 3 at the half. The fumble inside the 5 yard line on the hand off to TJ was all on A.J. he did not secure the hand off. That would have been a sure 3 or possible 7 putting Bama up 28 or 24 to 10.

Our defense was gassed due to being on the field so long in the 3rd and 4th qtr, practically no 3rd down conversions all 3 and outs until the final drive except the fumble hand off. The D played as hard as any, the blitzes were being blocked on every attempt.

Tip your hat to Chavis and planning to pick up those blitzes that gave Met time to throw. I thought KS should have called off the blitz after it failed so many times and just played nickle and covered their receivers, trying for a break up or interception.

In the 4th qtr that completion to mid field to a wide open LSU receiver I though would be a back breaker but their was no quit in our guys.

Pluck an grit gits ur done most every time.

Exposed? Naaaa just a very good game plan by LSU with some fatal flaws by the Hatter. Missed opportunites by our offense. Bama had only 1 penalty the whole game!

Lacy went off late in the 4th, hope he's okay cuz he looked strong and tough the whole game. TJ is dynamite!

Rock and Roll Tide on to the next game.
    "I wanna play for you Bear."
    "It don't cost nothin to be nice." Bear Bryant

BamaNation All-SEC KrimsonNinja's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Honestly we did get exposed, mostly on defense. Mettenberger was on target and his receivers kept getting separation. I saw a little bit of that in the game against Miss State. But LSU didn't completely expose Alabama. Saban has so many different defensive packages that he can throw something different at an opponent any time. On offense the play calling was questionable at times and LSU did a very good job of reading the offense.

And we can't forget LSU had a bye week which gave them 13 days to prepare, study film, execute plays and get mentally prepared for a fight on their home field against the team that embarrassed them in Louisiana, in the National Title Game.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

BamaNation All-American TexasTideFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrimsonNinja View Post
    Honestly we did get exposed, mostly on defense. Mettenberger was on target and his receivers kept getting separation.
    This game felt like the 2010 South Carolina game. It was like a coming out party for Met as it was for Garcia in that game. I am not sure we were honestly exposed, we just got the bad luck of getting a QB that was able to get on a hot streak with a crowd that got into it big time.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Has a Nick Saban defense ever been permanently exposed in the past several years for an extended period of time, or were they all correctable situations that were corrected? The only area I have ever seen exposed that persisted was long range FG's.

I have more often seen inconsistent play that made areas look concerning only to be a strength down the road on defense.

BamaNation All-SEC KrimsonNinja's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTideFan View Post
    This game felt like the 2010 South Carolina game. It was like a coming out party for Met as it was for Garcia in that game. I am not sure we were honestly exposed, we just got the bad luck of getting a QB that was able to get on a hot streak with a crowd that got into it big time.
    That is true, it was very similar to Garcia in 2010. Every QB has that game where they shine and can't be stopped.

But our secondary has got beat in the open/middle more times than they should have. They leave too much space sometimes.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

BamaNation First Team graydogg85's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    LSU had an excellent gameplan for us. It was apparent that they spent a lot time - well before the bye week - planning for our defense. The biggest problem was that their interior OL was winning their share of battles and keeping them on schedule offensively. They're really the first team in a long time that has at least had a "draw" on the battle up front. The second problem they presented is that their simplicity offensively actually made it difficult for us to affect the passer without creating liabilities on the backend. Yes, they called plenty of 2-man and 3-man patterns which should be easy to cover but the max protection made it impossible to force a pass without leaving the backend in a lot of one-on-one situations. Their level of preparedness showed in they often had the exact routes called to find the soft spots in any blitz package we executed.

They knew all our blitzes seemingly. By playing a lot of 22 personnel (2 back, 2 tight) and max protection, they limited what we could execute which certainly helped their seemingly "being in our headsets" like playcalling. I told people that Mettenburger was closer to being the QB they need than many gave credit. They gave him a lot of simple reads, the coaches kept him safe but effective playcalls, and he was mostly given the protection needed to play pitch and catch with those short stick routes and button hitches on the outside.

This was probably the finest offensive gameplan I've seen against us since the 2009 UT game - which we also won - in terms of seemingly being in Saban/Smart's heads. Other teams have been more explosive but none of them were as well prepared for blitz packages and flat out consistently finding the soft spot as last night.
    Well said.

I found myself wondering at times why we didn't back off the blitz packages and drop into max coverage or double-teams, but in fairness Mettenberger had been connecting to blanketed receivers throughout the night. It was honestly a well-schemed gameplan from a coaching staff that isn't necessarily renowned for offensive prowess. And Mettenberger played well above his head.

The strategy next week will be interesting. I find it unlikely that A&M runs many two-receiver patterns in max protect, but their offensive line is very good and they get the ball out quickly. They also have a pretty mobile quarterback. Our blitzes could be equally ineffective, albeit for different reasons.

Honestly, we need a huge day from the running game next week. That's the best possible outcome.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by graydogg85 View Post
    Well said.

I found myself wondering at times why we didn't back off the blitz packages and drop into max coverage or double-teams, but in fairness Mettenberger had been connecting to blanketed receivers throughout the night. It was honestly a well-schemed gameplan from a coaching staff that isn't necessarily renowned for offensive prowess. And Mettenberger played well above his head.

The strategy next week will be interesting. I find it unlikely that A&M runs many two-receiver patterns in max protect, but their offensive line is very good and they get the ball out quickly. They also have a pretty mobile quarterback. Our blitzes could be equally ineffective, albeit for different reasons.

Honestly, we need a huge day from the running game next week. That's the best possible outcome.

Our real quarterback needs to show up, too. He and the receivers can't go off line for entire periods. Like it or not, we'll need to score more than 21 points to win against the Aggies.

Funny, AJ's first real off night of the season couldn't have come at a worse time or place, yet we still won. Amazing.