Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Re: If the two minute drill works so well, why not run more of it?

wouldn't running the two minute drill all the time be the same as playing in the big 12? plus if grind it out didn't work, why did our backs average almost 7 yards per carry? I haven't watched the game yet, but did the game plan include to much passing?
    to 16 and beyond........

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    Agree, but I'll take one minute down the field over the 3 and outs of most of the second half.

As far as keeping defense fresh, when you rotate the DL and LBs constantly, why would you not be fresh?
    After us getting tired last night, we have to give them a breather.

BamaNation All-American

This was sort of mentioned earlier, but the two minute drill tends to work so well because it is usually run against a prevent defense that is willing to trade yardage for time.

Against a normal defense, the odds of moving the ball go way down, but many coaches don't want to take the chance of giving up a long play.

BamaNation All-American TexasTideFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brutetough View Post
    coverage looks a bit different from defense during 2 minute drill
    Exactly, Secondary backs way up and plays soft coverage to keep everything in front of the Safeties. D is not really worried about giving up short pass plays. It really is set up to make the O burn clock as the goal is for the O to use as much of that 2 minutes as possible but in the college game, the clock stops on every first down so it kinda negates the true 2 minute defense a little.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    That seemed to have more to do with essentially abandoning the run for whatever reason we did. We were ripping off 4-5 yards just about every run.
    This is what I don't understand. We were moving the ball running, but continued to force the pass, until time was gone and we had to pass. Fortunately LSU went into Chavis' patented prevent D, and our guys responded with great execution.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Eshad View Post
    This is what I don't understand. We were moving the ball running, but continued to force the pass, until time was gone and we had to pass.
    I think the OC was working under the theory that 1st down is the easiest down to pass. That's true, but if you have an incompletion then it almost forces you to pass the next 2 downs.

The way Alabama was moving the ball, I would have rather seen Alabama run on 1st, because passing on 2nd and 6 or 3rd and 3 is pretty favorable too.

Suspended

How many touchdowns has Alabama scored on LSU in the past three games on drives that were not pass heavy? The NC was won by spreading the field and passing.

BamaNation First Team Elwood Crimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    I think the OC was working under the theory that 1st down is the easiest down to pass. That's true, but if you have an incompletion then it almost forces you to pass the next 2 downs.

The way Alabama was moving the ball, I would have rather seen Alabama run on 1st, because passing on 2nd and 6 or 3rd and 3 is pretty favorable too.
    So your calling for return of the Stalling's offense? Or just to mix it up more on 1st down?

BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

How many touchdowns has Alabama scored on LSU in the past three games on drives that were not pass heavy? The NC was won by spreading the field and passing.
    In the NC game, LSU planned to stuff the run and dare AJ to pass. Last Sat, they decided to focus on shutting AJ down. We were gashing LSU for about 7yds a carry. What was causing the 3&outs in the second was incomplete passes on 1st down. When we ran on 1st down, we were much more successful.

I felt that we were trying to run the same gameplan this year as we did in the NC game. Because the gameplan said pass on first down, we passed on first down, despite all indications that we were having more success running on 1st down. There were a lot of factors that caused our offensive ineptitude in the 2nd half. The type of offense was not one of them.

If you play 2min offense all game, you have a Big12 offense and you lose games 78-65.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Tom View Post
    Oregon does every game.
    my thoughts exactly
    //SIGNED//
    afadam07

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Agree, but I'll take one minute down the field over the 3 and outs of most of the second half.

As far as keeping defense fresh, when you rotate the DL and LBs constantly, why would you not be fresh?
    You say that like you think the coaches know it's gonna be a 3 and out when they start a drive.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

Suspended
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPokeChop View Post
    wears out your D, since it puts them on the field a lot longer. Also, Saban has already said hes not a fan of the hurry up since it leads to more injuries, due to guys getting tired, careless and desperate.
    Saban was referring to the tiredness and fatigue of the defenses facing the hurry up offense, not the actual offense itself. It is said that it takes up to twice the amount of energy to play defense than it does offense. With the way hurry up offenses are set up today, they do not allow defenses to substitute, leaving big, out of shape, defensive lineman out on the field for longer periods of time.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

We ground it out in the first half and went in the locker room up 14-3.

We come out and open things up a bit, we go three and out a lot and LSU gets ahead.

Our defense was gassed in the 4th quarter and I be there's was, too.

The Prevent D trades chunks of yardage for chunks of clock. Their base 4-3 wasn't trading jack diddly.

If anything, LSU should have stayed in their base package and made Alabama march down the field.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.