If the two minute drill works so well, why not run more of it?

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
In the past three Alabama games vs LSU, standard grind it out football hasn't done much. When the offense has spread out, points are scored. Why wait for desperation time to score points?

Bama4Ever831

All-American
Sep 13, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
I think the reason the two minute offense worked so well is that the LSU DBs were in Prevent D. They were not aggressive until the last play (when we guessed correctly and ran a screen). I don't know if it would have worked as well coming out of half time or anything like that. Plus, long, sustained drives help keep our defense fresh.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I think the reason the two minute offense worked so well is that the LSU DBs were in Prevent D. They were not aggressive until the last play (when we guessed correctly and ran a screen). I don't know if it would have worked as well coming out of half time or anything like that. Plus, long, sustained drives help keep our defense fresh.
Agree, but how many long, sustained drives were you seeing in the second half?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Agree, but how many long, sustained drives were you seeing in the second half?
That seemed to have more to do with essentially abandoning the run for whatever reason we did. We were ripping off 4-5 yards just about every run, while AJ was off until the last drive. A lot of our drive that ended with the fumble in the second half was gashing them with the run if I remember correctly.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The two minute offense is up against a two minute defense - part of what goes into the TMO preparation is looking for patterns in how the defense reacts under those specific conditions.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I heard coach Saban mention after a game last year, (don't remember the game), where he thought our offense played better when hurrying up.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
wears out your D, since it puts them on the field a lot longer. Also, Saban has already said hes not a fan of the hurry up since it leads to more injuries, due to guys getting tired, careless and desperate.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I hope we have several 12 to 16 play drives this week to keep the DEFENSE off the field and fresh. However, to keep up with the Aggies we may have to have several 2 minute drives or 43 second drives.

I'm hoping for goose eggs on the Aggie side of the scoreboard.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Time management... That's why! We want to eat clock.
Agree, but I'll take one minute down the field over the 3 and outs of most of the second half.

As far as keeping defense fresh, when you rotate the DL and LBs constantly, why would you not be fresh?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
wouldn't running the two minute drill all the time be the same as playing in the big 12? plus if grind it out didn't work, why did our backs average almost 7 yards per carry? I haven't watched the game yet, but did the game plan include to much passing?

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
This was sort of mentioned earlier, but the two minute drill tends to work so well because it is usually run against a prevent defense that is willing to trade yardage for time.

Against a normal defense, the odds of moving the ball go way down, but many coaches don't want to take the chance of giving up a long play.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
coverage looks a bit different from defense during 2 minute drill
Exactly, Secondary backs way up and plays soft coverage to keep everything in front of the Safeties. D is not really worried about giving up short pass plays. It really is set up to make the O burn clock as the goal is for the O to use as much of that 2 minutes as possible but in the college game, the clock stops on every first down so it kinda negates the true 2 minute defense a little.

Eshad

3rd Team
Jun 20, 2007
That seemed to have more to do with essentially abandoning the run for whatever reason we did. We were ripping off 4-5 yards just about every run.
This is what I don't understand. We were moving the ball running, but continued to force the pass, until time was gone and we had to pass. Fortunately LSU went into Chavis' patented prevent D, and our guys responded with great execution.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
This is what I don't understand. We were moving the ball running, but continued to force the pass, until time was gone and we had to pass.
I think the OC was working under the theory that 1st down is the easiest down to pass. That's true, but if you have an incompletion then it almost forces you to pass the next 2 downs.

The way Alabama was moving the ball, I would have rather seen Alabama run on 1st, because passing on 2nd and 6 or 3rd and 3 is pretty favorable too.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
How many touchdowns has Alabama scored on LSU in the past three games on drives that were not pass heavy? The NC was won by spreading the field and passing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.