If the two minute drill works so well, why not run more of it?

Elwood Crimson

1st Team
Jul 27, 2004
I think the OC was working under the theory that 1st down is the easiest down to pass. That's true, but if you have an incompletion then it almost forces you to pass the next 2 downs.

The way Alabama was moving the ball, I would have rather seen Alabama run on 1st, because passing on 2nd and 6 or 3rd and 3 is pretty favorable too.
So your calling for return of the Stalling's offense? Or just to mix it up more on 1st down?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
How many touchdowns has Alabama scored on LSU in the past three games on drives that were not pass heavy? The NC was won by spreading the field and passing.
In the NC game, LSU planned to stuff the run and dare AJ to pass. Last Sat, they decided to focus on shutting AJ down. We were gashing LSU for about 7yds a carry. What was causing the 3&outs in the second was incomplete passes on 1st down. When we ran on 1st down, we were much more successful.

I felt that we were trying to run the same gameplan this year as we did in the NC game. Because the gameplan said pass on first down, we passed on first down, despite all indications that we were having more success running on 1st down. There were a lot of factors that caused our offensive ineptitude in the 2nd half. The type of offense was not one of them.

If you play 2min offense all game, you have a Big12 offense and you lose games 78-65.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
Agree, but I'll take one minute down the field over the 3 and outs of most of the second half.

As far as keeping defense fresh, when you rotate the DL and LBs constantly, why would you not be fresh?
You say that like you think the coaches know it's gonna be a 3 and out when they start a drive.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
wears out your D, since it puts them on the field a lot longer. Also, Saban has already said hes not a fan of the hurry up since it leads to more injuries, due to guys getting tired, careless and desperate.
Saban was referring to the tiredness and fatigue of the defenses facing the hurry up offense, not the actual offense itself. It is said that it takes up to twice the amount of energy to play defense than it does offense. With the way hurry up offenses are set up today, they do not allow defenses to substitute, leaving big, out of shape, defensive lineman out on the field for longer periods of time.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
We ground it out in the first half and went in the locker room up 14-3.

We come out and open things up a bit, we go three and out a lot and LSU gets ahead.

Our defense was gassed in the 4th quarter and I be there's was, too.

The Prevent D trades chunks of yardage for chunks of clock. Their base 4-3 wasn't trading jack diddly.

If anything, LSU should have stayed in their base package and made Alabama march down the field.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I go back to the a clip of Greg talking after the 2010 Iron Bowl. Bama went hurry up early in that game. When asked why it worked, he said they like it because the team runs it in practice. When Bama runs the no-huddle, it does well. Bama does not run the same type speed as Oregon. Let's not compare the two. No need to make this a thread bashing those style offenses. It's not debatable that Alabama has done well in that offense. Should Alabama do it all the time? No. Would it be a bad idea to incorporate it into the game plan? Not at all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.