Question: TJ Yeldon is a pleasant surprise

It is very hard for me to swallow, but he may be better than Mark and Trent. I'm still cautious, but you wouldn't think he was a true freshman after the way he's been playing. More yards and touchdown than the both of them and may double them up, together, before the season is out. My good friend who works for WSFA in Montgomery called me and said that we got a steal because he showed out in Crampton Bowl. Fumble aside, though not really his fault and I believe he runs that in, the dude is just that good.

smohabbat

Scout Team
Oct 13, 2011
A lot more touches for him than mark or Trent their freshmen year. But has 7.0 ypc is ridiculous! Trent will always be my favorite but yeldon is a guaranteed superstar

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
I knew how special he would be after watching his performance at A-Day. Ingram was good his Freshman year, but not a significant role-player. Richardson was phenomenal and a huge part of our success, even as a Freshman. Yeldon has all the potential to outdo both of them, but it's difficult to imagine just how good he could become, if he has not already fully developed.

Let's not forget a gentleman named Edward Lacy, who added a touchdown to last night's effort and was averaging 7 yards a carry. He deserves praise as well.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I nominate this thread title for understatement of the year.

During the broadcast, when Verne and Gary mentioned that Yeldon might be the best Bama back ever, my wife went "What?!?" I just replied, "That's no exaggeration--he just might be that good."

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
It is very hard for me to swallow, but he may be better than Mark and Trent. I'm still cautious, but you wouldn't think he was a true freshman after the way he's been playing. More yards and touchdown than the both of them and may double them up, together, before the season is out. My good friend who works for WSFA in Montgomery called me and said that we got a steal because he showed out in Crampton Bowl. Fumble aside, though not really his fault and I believe he runs that in, the dude is just that good.
I agree he is even more than I expected, and I expected a lot after the spring game. In fairness to Mark and Trent though, I couldn't believe they true freshman either. Yeldon has the potential to be up there with those guys, but he's got some Shaq size shoes to fill.

Neos

Suspended
Nov 14, 2011
What I love about him is the way he runs. It's like he is not even trying. Trent and Mark always ran head first into someone and made them pay for it, TJ just makes them miss and keeps going on. What's scary for opposing teams is we will have TJ, Kenyan Drake, and Derrick Henry in our backfield next year, maybe Lacy too if he decides to stay.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
TJ Yeldon is well on his way to be one of the greatest RB's to ever play at the University of Alabama. I realize those are big words, but look at the video. It speaks for itself. Everythime he touches the football I expect him to get at least seven or eight yards. TJ is going to be a very special player.

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
What I love about him is the way he runs. It's like he is not even trying. Trent and Mark always ran head first into someone and made them pay for it, TJ just makes them miss and keeps going on. What's scary for opposing teams is we will have TJ, Kenyan Drake, and Derrick Henry in our backfield next year, maybe Lacy too if he decides to stay.
Dee Hart is no slouch either.

Let's not forget a gentleman named Edward Lacy, who added a touchdown to last night's effort and was averaging 7 yards a carry. He deserves praise as well.
He isn't forgotten. He is very, VERY important to our success and he is one of my favorite players.

And that spin move is devastating. You can't stop it.

It's just I thought Yeldon was pretty good, the way he showed up in Death Valley of all places to score the go ahead and game winning touchdown has to be the greatest thing for the young one. Why we went away from him when he was doing what he wanted all night long is beyond me. I'm just thrilled to have him in Crimson and White!

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I am watching the last drive again. Not only did he of course have the huge touchdown, but he had some good pass blocking to help AJ on the first throws.

So he is learning to be as dominate as Trent, since trent was such a good blocker.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I bet he has No regrets over his choice of Alabama. If he listens he will beat out everyone before him. Kid is that talented. Just do what coach tells you & you will be a millionaire.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I thought Yeldon would be a contributor, but, wow. For me I'd have to say he's been way beyond a pleasant surprise. I think he's been nothing short of sensational.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia
Read an article the other day that if Bama gets all the running back recruits it's after this year we could rotate FIVE running backs next year. The article said that all the RB recruits are aware that they won't be a feature back and they're all ok with it.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Yeldon is a huge pleasure to watch. He hardly ever gets stuffed. He is not primarily a battering ram, or a juker, he doesn't rely on exceptional speed or burst, he is not particularly small and elusive. He has an upright stance that gives the impression of simple north-south running. Yet he always seems to be in the best lane, he doesn't waste energy on sharp directional changes because he threads defenders so well. When the tackle is inevitable he chooses the best way to dive for an extra 2 yards. He is incredibly efficient and, as a true freshman, his upside potential is just staggering.

All that, and he has good hands, is becoming a decent blocker, and is as cool as a cucumber. And the fumble yesterday was more AJs fault than TJs.

I'm not convinced that Lacy is 100% healthy yet. This slight tendency towards fragility, probably exacerbated by his spin move, may limit his draft desirability. But for Alabama at the college level, Lacy has been fantastic.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I'm not convinced that Lacy is 100% healthy yet. This slight tendency towards fragility, probably exacerbated by his spin move, may limit his draft desirability. But for Alabama at the college level, Lacy has been fantastic.
Yep and then he tweaks the ankle. I think we'll see both RBs against A&M, but if I had to guess, TJ gets more carries because I think EL will be a bit sore.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.