Question: TJ Yeldon is a pleasant surprise

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
by pleasant surprise do you mean he made me scream uncontrollably for 3 minutes after that TD. Pleasant isn't quite the word I'd use, shocking or game changing is closer.

Remember when Julio made a big play in death valley to spark our win there in 08, and then in 09? That puts TJ in some pretty big company.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
I love TJ regardless. Even when it looks like there is only a yard or two he turns it into 5 or 10. He is lightning fast and is so quick to find the hole even if he has to redirect. The fact that he spurned Auburn at the last minute makes him that much better. :cool:

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
What I love about him is the way he runs. It's like he is not even trying. Trent and Mark always ran head first into someone and made them pay for it, TJ just makes them miss and keeps going on. What's scary for opposing teams is we will have TJ, Kenyan Drake, and Derrick Henry in our backfield next year, maybe Lacy too if he decides to stay.
Don't forgot that little fellow that should be returning next year from injury. I believe Jalston Fowler is his name. It's fun watching him carry the ball and truck defenders...even more fun to watch when he's the lead blocker for Yeldon.

Neos

Suspended
Nov 14, 2011
Don't forgot that little fellow that should be returning next year from injury. I believe Jalston Fowler is his name. It's fun watching him carry the ball and truck defenders...even more fun to watch when he's the lead blocker for Yeldon.
I haven't forgotten, but Derrick Henry will be like Jalston Fowler expect faster and more agile.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
One thing about TJ- he is sort of the opposite in terms of emotion from, say, Mark Ingram. TJ just seems to go about his business and never looks rattled. He never seems to get too hyped up either. You could see him calmly leaning closer to AJ to get the calls during the last drive, and you can just see that look of "I got this" on his face at any point in the game. What a player. Can't wait to see him after a year in Cochran's S&C program.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I love TJ, but I can't say he's better than Ingram or Richardson, or even Lacy for that matter, because better is such a subjective term. They all have vastly different running styles.

Richardson is one of the hardest running RB's I've ever seen. He makes defenders regret choosing to play football. Ingram hit & found holes as well as any RB we've had at Alabama in a long time. Lacy's ankle breaking spin move is devastating. They're all better in different ways.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
One thing about TJ- he is sort of the opposite in terms of emotion from, say, Mark Ingram. TJ just seems to go about his business and never looks rattled. He never seems to get too hyped up either. You could see him calmly leaning closer to AJ to get the calls during the last drive, and you can just see that look of "I got this" on his face at any point in the game. What a player. Can't wait to see him after a year in Cochran's S&C program.
High emotional intelligence and instincts. It's interesting to watch his eyes(front view) on the touchdown. You can clearly see him scanning various players and angles without a lot of head movement. He was aware of the linebacker coming from his back right and the DB coming across in front and calculated his juke to the right just enough for the DB to overshoot without crossing into the linebackers path. Perfect position.

He is about as different from Ingram and Trent as you can be other than great. He's like a big hummingbird.

socalbamafan123

Scout Team
May 26, 2010
What I love about him is the way he runs. It's like he is not even trying. Trent and Mark always ran head first into someone and made them pay for it, TJ just makes them miss and keeps going on. What's scary for opposing teams is we will have TJ, Kenyan Drake, and Derrick Henry in our backfield next year, maybe Lacy too if he decides to stay.
Correct, his height and smooth running style make it look like he's sort of loafing, but suddenly he's past everybody. also realize next year he will be even stronger and smarter.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
He isn't forgotten. He is very, VERY important to our success and he is one of my favorite players.

And that spin move is devastating. You can't stop it.

It's just I thought Yeldon was pretty good, the way he showed up in Death Valley of all places to score the go ahead and game winning touchdown has to be the greatest thing for the young one. Why we went away from him when he was doing what he wanted all night long is beyond me. I'm just thrilled to have him in Crimson and White!
not so long ago, another freshmen less known than Yeldon came off the bench and torched LSU at DV for 4 TDs and nearly 300 yards on the ground. what's his name again??

oh yeah, Shaun Alexander.

btw, I have a man crush on TJ. :)

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

I don't think I have ever see him bump chest in the air or get vocal after a TD. the young man acts like he has been there before. amazing!!

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
not so long ago, another freshmen less known than Yeldon came off the bench and torched LSU at DV for 4 TDs and nearly 300 yards on the ground. what's his name again??

oh yeah, Shaun Alexander.
Since I am signing off I will post a video of someone other than the thread title:) But maybe there is a younger member that has never seen the footage of a freshman Alexander going a few yards shy of 300 against LSWho. Times have changed. Back then the philosophy was not about having 5 star players as much as coaching them up. This turned out to be half true but helped keep this guy on the bench until he was a junior, even after this performance. Do that today and you would not sign another Alexander.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.