JessN: LSU wrap-up: Tide’s ends didn’t fit the means, but UA will keep the result

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
LSU wrap-up: Tide’s ends didn’t fit the means, but UA will keep the result
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
November 5th, 2012 12:15 AM

By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Nov. 4, 2012   There are a pair of sayings in competitive bowling that, rather illogically, apply to college football from time to time.   The first is “out-bowling your score,” which is a term for making great shots but not scoring as highly as you thought you should. The [...]

Read More Here

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I've got a worry-wart streak about a mile wide before games (not so much, strangely, once the game starts). The comments concerning injuries landed squarely in the middle of said streak.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Thanks Jess I was waiting on your wrap up.
Sorry it was late. Connection problems the site apparently had extended to me. I was working on remote, anyway, which didn't help.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the biggest thing i took away from this game, is with all of the problems we had in the second half, we took the game. we didn't get a lucky bounce or a fluke play, our battered and tired d got the offense the ball back twice in the last four minutes of the game, then the o marched down the field in a dominant fashion to win, then the d came back and sealed the deal.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Agree with all Jess. If a team ever needed a week's R and R, this one sure does. It's the cost of playing as the top dog in the nation, not to mention in the bone-breaking SEC. Every game we play is a circle on that opponent's calendar. It has to wear a team out fighting off every other team's best effort for the year. They're a tired team, mentally, physically and emotionally.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Fourth quarter conditioning played a big hand in bringing this win to fruition. At the start of the fourth quarter I saw all the LSU fans holding up four fingers and told my wife, "the 4th qtr. is OUR strong suit".

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I've been concerned with the safety play all year. It is going to have to be better against A&M, like you said. But Bama makes the yards tough to come by. And Lsu probably alone can withstand the physical play for the whole game.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Didn't think about it until your analysis, but you are right....what a giant loss in Hightower. Who on the roster can take his spot? I thought Devall would, but he's been playing Jack.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
The injuries worry me a bit. Great breakdown!!!
Yeah, the injuries are my biggest concern at this point. I have no doubt that CNS and CKS will get the defensive scheme issues resolved, but we're beat all to hell and back. Hopefully EL can keep grinding out carries and Amari Cooper can get back and healthy over the next few weeks; Coop's ankle should be 100% by the bowl game anyway. In the meantime, the guys have just got to whatever they can to get by. There's no such thing as bad win at this point.

Imo, no other team in the country comes out of Red Stick with a win last Saturday Night. Hats off for pulling that one out of the fire.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The only thing that concerns me right now is fatigue and mounting injuries. I look at our remaining schedule and we don't play a team that doesn't have their own set of "problems" and "concerns". aTm destroyed MSU in Starkvegas but I'll stand by what I said leading into our game with state. They haven't played anybody and when it comes down to real football they will prove to be severely overrated. I think it proved right again this weekend. State is overrated and will possibly lose two to three more games before this season is done.

I hope Coach gives the guys some extra rest this week. I really don't think the game plan needs to be overly complex. aTm has proven time and time again they cannot physically last an entire four quarters of big boy football. They fatigue in the second half real fast.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
The only thing that concerns me right now is fatigue and mounting injuries. I look at our remaining schedule and we don't play a team that doesn't have their own set of "problems" and "concerns". aTm destroyed MSU in Starkvegas but I'll stand by what I said leading into our game with state. They haven't played anybody and when it comes down to real football they will prove to be severely overrated. I think it proved right again this weekend. State is overrated and will possibly lose two to three more games before this season is done.

I hope Coach gives the guys some extra rest this week. I really don't think the game plan needs to be overly complex. aTm has proven time and time again they cannot physically last an entire four quarters of big boy football. They fatigue in the second half real fast.
If we are fatigued, they should be exhausted due no open dates.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If we are fatigued, they should be exhausted due no open dates.
I agree. That's why I say no one on our remaining schedule is void of their own "issues". At this point in the season every team is toting baggage. Whether it be fatigue, injuries, quality of play etc. I know the staff will prepare our guys the best they can for this Saturday.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
I can't help but keep thinking that LSU is custom built to beat Alabama. no team on the schedule can stand toe to toe for four quarters and slug it out with Bama right now...except LSU.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
The injuries bother me A LOT.

But Johnny Manziel's offense was slowed/stopped by good SEC defenses.
Our D hsa to to stay in their lanes and not let him scramble.
I suspect a score like the Ole Miss game - Bama winning 35-14 or 35-17.

Luckily, after A&M we have layups vs WCU and Auburn.
Maybe that's enough time for Lacy and Cooper to heal/
We NEED them against UGA!!

Neverending

Suspended
Nov 19, 2011
TRUTH

We did not play to the Standard. One way to look at it is that this will get our guys to work even harder.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.