Alabama holding penalties - Question

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I have been reading on Tigerdroppings that we held a lot during the game, but it didn't get called. They are saying Barrett held on the screen pass to TJ that scored the winning touchdown. I cannot watch a play live and see holding right off so are they just complaining or what? I'm just curious.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
They are saying Barrett held on the screen pass to TJ that scored the winning touchdown.
I don't think so but it doesn't really matter. LSU blitzed the dude that would have been responsible for covering Yeldon leaving him wide open and the defense exposed. Yeldon scores NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS on the line of scrimmage.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm guessing they didn't watch the first quarter when Fluker got called for holding. I heard this nonsense from MSU fans, one even putting a still photo on FB that proves nothing as holding could be called on every play.

They lost. Move on.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
I seen what I thought was holding on them on several plays. Ask them about the pass interference call on us, that was a joke.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
In a game like this, unless the hold is egregious (like Fluker throwing DE to the ground), it's not going to get called. The refs managed the game pretty well. In the end, the game was decided by the teams, not the refs.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I think the refs did a good job in this game of letting the teams play ball. It was grown man football at it's best. You could probably call holding on every play if you wanted and there were several times when I thought LSU could have been called for holding. Usually something like "Barret Jones was holding on the touchdown" is something fans of the losing team say. Krymsonman

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
I think the refs did a good job in this game of letting the teams play ball. It was grown man football at it's best. You could probably call holding on every play if you wanted and there were several times when I thought LSU could have been called for holding. Usually something like "Barret Jones was holding on the touchdown" is something fans of the losing team say. Krymsonman
I saw a good bit of illegal hands to the face by both the LSU defensive line (mainly) and some on their OL. Don't think the ref threw a flag on that the whole night.

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL
I just watched the screen pass play in the Gary Danielson thread and there are no holds anywhere in that frame. You can see Jones fairly clearly and he has his blocking assignment in front of him the whole time. No holding.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I have been reading on Tigerdroppings
That's your 1st mistake.

The LSU and Aubren fans scream about the refs are in our pocket all the time. Do linemen use their hands? Yes. That is allowed.

Just watch the poor freshmen linemen on auburns team try to pass block. They could get called on every play. It's about technique, position, and footwork which take time to learn.

It's just their pathetic way of saying "you cheat".

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I saw a lot of holding by both teams during this game. IMO, the worst cases were against Jesse Williams in the middle. I saw him tackled several times and none of them were called.

Dr. Keith

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2006
I saw a lot of holding by both teams during this game. IMO, the worst cases were against Jesse Williams in the middle. I saw him tackled several times and none of them were called.
This^^^^^. It seemed like J. Williams was tackled or grabbed several times from behind. It seemed like our front seven were either wearing their jerseys side-ways all night or were held a good bit during the game.

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009
LSU could have and should have been flagged for as much or more holding than Bama. The "offensive pass interference" call early in the game was a joke.
Forget holding...if those jokers want to talk smack then what about the 'penalty' that was followed by a long pass that was actually a fumble that Bama recovered. I'm pleased w/ the refs mostly, but that was a little on the tough to take side.

I saw a good bit of illegal hands to the face by both the LSU defensive line (mainly) and some on their OL. Don't think the ref threw a flag on that the whole night.
I saw more of that then anything. I just stopped complaining about it because it became evident that they weren't going to call it although it was blatant. For them to complain about holding is like the tea kettle calling the coffee pot black. It goes on with both sides, I'm sure in every game. This game was a definitely upgrade from last November!

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
When I played in high school you couldn't use your hands at all. However, due to the size and speed of college athletes the rules have modified over time. Most fans watching a game see a hand grab on a jersey and assume that's holding but is usually isn't. Below are the NCAA rules on use of hands:

ARTICLE 3.
a. A teammate of a runner or a passer legally may block with his shoulders, his hands, the outer surface of his arms or any other part of his body under the following provisions.

1. The hand(s) shall be:
(a) In advance of the elbow.
(b) Inside the frame of the opponent’s body (Exception: When the opponent turns his back to the blocker) (A.R. 9-3-3-VI and VII).
(c) At or below the shoulder(s) of the blocker and the opponent (Exception: When the opponent squats, ducks or submarines).
(d) Apart and never in a locked position.

2. The hand(s) shall be open with the palm(s) facing the frame of the opponent or closed or cupped with the palms not facing the opponent (A.R. 9-3-3-I-IV and VI-VIII).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When I played in high school you couldn't use your hands at all. However, due to the size and speed of college athletes the rules have modified over time. Most fans watching a game see a hand grab on a jersey and assume that's holding but is usually isn't. Below are the NCAA rules on use of hands:

ARTICLE 3.
a. A teammate of a runner or a passer legally may block with his shoulders, his hands, the outer surface of his arms or any other part of his body under the following provisions.

1. The hand(s) shall be:
(a) In advance of the elbow.
(b) Inside the frame of the opponent’s body (Exception: When the opponent turns his back to the blocker) (A.R. 9-3-3-VI and VII).
(c) At or below the shoulder(s) of the blocker and the opponent (Exception: When the opponent squats, ducks or submarines).
(d) Apart and never in a locked position.

2. The hand(s) shall be open with the palm(s) facing the frame of the opponent or closed or cupped with the palms not facing the opponent (A.R. 9-3-3-I-IV and VI-VIII).
Good post. Thanks...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.