Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: How to Stop "Johann FutBol"?

Playing in nickel will be what saves us this Saturday. If we were playing another LSU-type offense, we would be too worn to survive.

2. Advertisement

The best thing to do is just keep our offense on the field in nice 8-10 play drives and keep the ball away from him. Then when he does have the ball pop him a couple of times. I've noticed when he is pressured, as long as he is contained he's not very productive. Krymsonman

Defenses have fared better against JFF when they ease up on the pass rush and make him throw the ball from inside the pocket. We have a very talented OL (Jake Matthews and Luke Joeckel are both top-15 draft picks) that can keep the heat off of him and open up huge running lanes when the DL over-pursues him. Make him throw and he will make a few freshman mistakes like he did against LSU. I think the Ags come ready to play and put up a fight but in the end the Tide will just be too much to handle.

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Might be a great idea to look at what LSU did to them. Chavis went to a three man line and it gave Johnny fubtol fits the rest of the game.
    Do we play a three man line much in passing downs? I thought our nickel and dime packages utilized a four man front with a LB as a pass rusher.
    RTR!

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    It is important that we not overreact. That is par for the CFB course.

Texas A&M has lost twice. They gave up 21 points to the Barn, a team that after their output Saturday averages 19 a game. LSUs anemic offense (Sat notwithstanding) got 24. The risk of a letdown is real for us but I think step one is to simply hit the guy a few times.
    Looking at it this way, LSU did not play great against A&M, and still scored 24 points. (I don't think LSU likes 11am kickoffs). LSU played the game of their life against BAMA but only scored 17 points. As long as we don't have a serious hangover, we should be able to score enough. Oh yeah, and definitely pop him as often as possible. After he did the Cam Newton superman thing against State he went on my pop him often list. Krymsonman

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
    Do we play a three man line much in passing downs? I thought our nickel and dime packages utilized a four man front with a LB as a pass rusher.
    To be honest I'm not sure. I know Chavis disclosed after the game that he was forced to make an in game adjustment and that's what he decided to do. Use a three man line.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation First Team

There is plenty of precedence for beating Johnny. First thing, keep him on the bench. They may have good tape on us, from the LSU game. But we have great tape on them, from their 2 losses. I think our defense is a lot more like, and better than, LSU and Florida, than the teams they have beaten. And our offense has more talent than either of those teams.

just do exactly what lsu did. keep him in the pocket and make him a qb...dude is really inaccurate and just have to make him one dimensional. can't let him get to the edges and gotta keep a spy on him in the middle.

Obviously JFF is tough, I've seen a bunch of licks put on him this season. But really..he's like 5-9 175#s. Somewhere along the way he's going to get busted up by some big fast defensive guy. Not wishing harm, just observing he doesn't shy from hits---and I think he probably oughta be more careful.

If we only look at their game against LSU:

LSU went 2-16 on 3rd down attempts because Zach was a disaster
    LSU gashed them on the ground without a pass threat (219 yards, 4.9 ypc)

So, run early and often. Pass only enough to keep them honest. This keeps the ball out of Manziel's hands.

Not to quibble, but Manziel is listed as 6'1" and 200 pounds. I thought he looked pretty small on the field and was surprised at his size.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    If we only look at their game against LSU:

LSU went 2-16 on 3rd down attempts because Zach was a disaster
    LSU gashed them on the ground without a pass threat (219 yards, 4.9 ypc)

So, run early and often. Pass only enough to keep them honest. This keeps the ball out of Manziel's hands.
    Agreed. The game plan doesn't need to be overly complex. Play to their weaknesses (Captain Obvious here) and let the chips fall where they may. They aren't very good at stopping the run. Force them to stop it. Even it means lining up and giving Drake and Calloway some carries. Odds are they'll break and we'll be gashing them for six and seven yards a pop.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

I mean no disrespect to Johnny football, he's probably the best QB we will have seen to date, but if Alabama's offensive line can play like they did this past Saturday night, it won't matter, because he just won't be able to put up enough points to matter.
    BS 1989