Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: How to Stop "Johann FutBol"?

Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    Against LSU and Florida they averaged 18 ppg and Manziel only scored once and that was at home. They nearly lost to Ole Miss (and probably should have). They beat a historically bad Auburn team and an emotionally depleted MSU team. They gave up 57 to La Tech.

I'm not saying we'll spank them, but they really aren't that amazing. Most teams seem to have their best offensive game of the year against them, or close to it (LSU, Florida, Auburn, La Tech).
    Actually, only 2 teams scored above their average against aTm. On average, aTm held its opponents to 9 points BELOW their average points scored per game.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Ag2012 View Post
    We have the top rushing offense in the SEC with 251.3 yds/game, with two 5-star RBs and the obviously elusive JFF at QB. The run game took the longest of any part of our offense to click but now that it's rolling it complements our spread passing attack very well.
    We have the #1 rushing defense not only in the SEC but the nation...I think we will be ok...

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think the biggest concern with TAMU is the placement of the game coupled with their explosiveness. MSU didn't give us a close game the last few years but we've frequently sputtered around in the first half. I think a lot it had to do with the physical and mental hangover of a game like those against LSU. TAMU is a team that we don't want to start slow against. They come out hot out of the gate every week it seems and a game where it takes a half for us to get into the flow may be a game we struggle to win in the end.

They're probably the most coherent offensive football team we'll see this season. They are very balanced with a solid OL that may only be bested by Alabama in terms of NFL futures. Their tailbacks have been very successful and their QB is elusive in the pocket. The receivers are not little Wes Welker types, they've got some NFL-sized receivers and Swope is a great slot guy who can abuse our proclivity to use 3 safeties over a true nickelback corner.

The key will be to keep the broken plays at a minimum. We've consistently sought to keep these types of QBs in the pocket but unlike Tebow and Cam, this guy is a short QB. I think sacks are an afterthought, leverage on the edge and getting hands up to muddy the picture in the pocket can be just as successful as a bunch of sacks. Also, don't think this team will abandon running right at us. They will trust their OL to make blocks and I think they can win their share. We aren't getting the Texas Tech offense, this is a balanced spread-to-run type offense with a lot of the old Air Raid concepts on top of a "traditional" run blocking attack. It isn't all draws, traps, and passes.

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com
    rgw, I've watched enough Aggie football to know their run plays aren't usually designed to run right at you.
    RTR!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

They gashed MSU on some simple inside zone plays last week. Of course, that is MSU and this is Alabama...

Our rankings don't mean anything if we don't perform up to those standards. The only reason such and such can't beat us with the run and/or the pass is if we come out and prove it. Mettenberger shouldn't have had that kind of game against us but he did because we didn't perform. If we don't perform, we can get burned for 300+ in the passing game; if we don't perform, we can get gashed in the running game. I don't care that A&M beat two poor teams...they've won two straight road SEC games and their only losses are to Florida and LSU. I hope our coaches have a good game plan and that our players execute it to perfection.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

“Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

BamaNation First Team im4uainva's Avatar
    My Mood
    Vilified on TideFans.com

I think the Ags are a bonafide threat and I, for one, would be happy with a 1 point victory.
    Roll Tsunami, Roll!

BamaNation All-American CoastGhost's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by lafella View Post
    I saw on their forums where this will be a revenge game!.......We gave them Fran Gonna have to keep him in the pocket I would assume would be our goal.
    We should spot them 7 points for that and be done with it. 41-7

4-2-5 defense, just like the IB 2010.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    A mix of blitzes while in contain on the edges. He'll have no where to run, but to the ground on a tackles for loss.
    ROLL TIDE!

Our offense will be a bigger key to this game than our defense. We need to keep him off the field. Put together those nice and long 5 minute running drives. We need to control the time of possesion.
    Roll Tide

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabw View Post
    We have the #1 rushing defense not only in the SEC but the nation...I think we will be ok...

Not #1 anymore. LSU had 139 yards on us...at the time we averaged less than 60 yards allowed. So people can run on them, if they aren't playing up to their potential.
    Roll Tide