How to Stop "Johann FutBol"?

Bamabw

Suspended
Oct 14, 2011
We have the top rushing offense in the SEC with 251.3 yds/game, with two 5-star RBs and the obviously elusive JFF at QB. The run game took the longest of any part of our offense to click but now that it's rolling it complements our spread passing attack very well.
We have the #1 rushing defense not only in the SEC but the nation...I think we will be ok...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the biggest concern with TAMU is the placement of the game coupled with their explosiveness. MSU didn't give us a close game the last few years but we've frequently sputtered around in the first half. I think a lot it had to do with the physical and mental hangover of a game like those against LSU. TAMU is a team that we don't want to start slow against. They come out hot out of the gate every week it seems and a game where it takes a half for us to get into the flow may be a game we struggle to win in the end.

They're probably the most coherent offensive football team we'll see this season. They are very balanced with a solid OL that may only be bested by Alabama in terms of NFL futures. Their tailbacks have been very successful and their QB is elusive in the pocket. The receivers are not little Wes Welker types, they've got some NFL-sized receivers and Swope is a great slot guy who can abuse our proclivity to use 3 safeties over a true nickelback corner.

The key will be to keep the broken plays at a minimum. We've consistently sought to keep these types of QBs in the pocket but unlike Tebow and Cam, this guy is a short QB. I think sacks are an afterthought, leverage on the edge and getting hands up to muddy the picture in the pocket can be just as successful as a bunch of sacks. Also, don't think this team will abandon running right at us. They will trust their OL to make blocks and I think they can win their share. We aren't getting the Texas Tech offense, this is a balanced spread-to-run type offense with a lot of the old Air Raid concepts on top of a "traditional" run blocking attack. It isn't all draws, traps, and passes.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They gashed MSU on some simple inside zone plays last week. Of course, that is MSU and this is Alabama...

Neverending

Suspended
Nov 19, 2011
Our rankings don't mean anything if we don't perform up to those standards. The only reason such and such can't beat us with the run and/or the pass is if we come out and prove it. Mettenberger shouldn't have had that kind of game against us but he did because we didn't perform. If we don't perform, we can get burned for 300+ in the passing game; if we don't perform, we can get gashed in the running game. I don't care that A&M beat two poor teams...they've won two straight road SEC games and their only losses are to Florida and LSU. I hope our coaches have a good game plan and that our players execute it to perfection.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Our offense will be a bigger key to this game than our defense. We need to keep him off the field. Put together those nice and long 5 minute running drives. We need to control the time of possesion.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
We have the #1 rushing defense not only in the SEC but the nation...I think we will be ok...

Not #1 anymore. LSU had 139 yards on us...at the time we averaged less than 60 yards allowed. So people can run on them, if they aren't playing up to their potential.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
FutBol was compared to Flutie by Coach Saban.

JF has an uncanny ability to make the right cut on teh fly, and I think he is more dangerous as a runner than Flutie. This game will be a test.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I agree. Anyone who doesn't think TAMU can give us some fits is putting their heads in the sand. They caught far more healthy and rested LSU and Florida teams, they're getting us in the most ideal spot in the schedule if you're an upset minded team.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think you can look at the way we played Michigan as a blueprint for some of the strategy. Johnny Foosball is a better passer than Robinson, but I still think containment will be a key aspect of what the defense will try to do. He has thrown some pretty dumb INT's in several games I've watched. I liked what Pollack had to say on BCS countdown last night. He wasn't really concerned about Bama's pass defense. He thought Mettenberger and the LSU receivers played NFL level for one night. If a team has to do that to pass on Bama most teams won't have success, and the odds of some of those catches and throws happening two weeks in a row are small.
LSU did have two weeks to rest up and come up with their scheme. Pretty good one too,
but a banged up Alabama just kept on, keeping on, and took the game away from them.
That loss had to hurt LSU pretty bad.
Guess we find out next year, cause I'm sure our game is already 'Circled'... ;)

TAMU catches us at a bad time, but I doubt they've got the horses to contest the game till the end. Contain their running game, and put a spy on Johnny Football, would be my choice.
(I wouldn't want Hubbard on me every play. He gets lucky too often.)

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.