How to Stop "Johann FutBol"?

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
just do exactly what lsu did. keep him in the pocket and make him a qb...dude is really inaccurate and just have to make him one dimensional. can't let him get to the edges and gotta keep a spy on him in the middle.

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011
Obviously JFF is tough, I've seen a bunch of licks put on him this season. But really..he's like 5-9 175#s. Somewhere along the way he's going to get busted up by some big fast defensive guy. Not wishing harm, just observing he doesn't shy from hits---and I think he probably oughta be more careful.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If we only look at their game against LSU:

LSU went 2-16 on 3rd down attempts because Zach was a disaster
LSU gashed them on the ground without a pass threat (219 yards, 4.9 ypc)

So, run early and often. Pass only enough to keep them honest. This keeps the ball out of Manziel's hands.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If we only look at their game against LSU:

LSU went 2-16 on 3rd down attempts because Zach was a disaster
LSU gashed them on the ground without a pass threat (219 yards, 4.9 ypc)

So, run early and often. Pass only enough to keep them honest. This keeps the ball out of Manziel's hands.
Agreed. The game plan doesn't need to be overly complex. Play to their weaknesses (Captain Obvious here) and let the chips fall where they may. They aren't very good at stopping the run. Force them to stop it. Even it means lining up and giving Drake and Calloway some carries. Odds are they'll break and we'll be gashing them for six and seven yards a pop.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I mean no disrespect to Johnny football, he's probably the best QB we will have seen to date, but if Alabama's offensive line can play like they did this past Saturday night, it won't matter, because he just won't be able to put up enough points to matter.

TXaggie4

Aug 29, 2012
Not to quibble, but Manziel is listed as 6'1" and 200 pounds. I thought he looked pretty small on the field and was surprised at his size.
He is neither. He is 5'11" and probably 180-190 lbs. But I think his size, or lack there of, helps him be more elusive.. Johnny will make plays and try and force the envelope at times. The best way to stop him is contain him in the pocket. This is only his 10th game as a college QB so he is nowhere near a polished QB. We have really talented skill position players, and stopping the run will be key for you guys. When we can consistently gain yards on the ground it really does open up our "passing game". I put that in quotes because a good portion of our passing game are scrambles by JF.. I truly do expect it to be a close game, and I think the only way we win is if we play a perfect game in all aspects... God forbid we have to kick a crucial FG bc our kicker is atrocious this year..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He is neither. He is 5'11" and probably 180-190 lbs. But I think his size, or lack there of, helps him be more elusive.. Johnny will make plays and try and force the envelope at times. The best way to stop him is contain him in the pocket. This is only his 10th game as a college QB so he is nowhere near a polished QB. We have really talented skill position players, and stopping the run will be key for you guys. When we can consistently gain yards on the ground it really does open up our "passing game". I put that in quotes because a good portion of our passing game are scrambles by JF.. I truly do expect it to be a close game, and I think the only way we win is if we play a perfect game in all aspects... God forbid we have to kick a crucial FG bc our kicker is atrocious this year..
This is what our game plan will be if precedent is employed. It's the same one we've used against other mobile qbs. The motto with Cam and Tebow was "keep them in front of you."

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
i would expect our defense to play a lot like we did against michigan. i think it is true with any game you stop the run, and you win the game. we play the type of defense that is capable of making adjustments on the move. their run game is not a big threat, and that leaves their qb with all the pressure. he is really talented, but he is still a freshman, and good defense will cause turnovers. our offense needs to control the game as well. of course, if lacy is limited, we have two freshmen left to carry the load. i cant believe the early line is 16 points favorite for this game. i will be glad to win by 6.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
pretty good article on ND and Bama on ESPN but since it's the Insider I can't cut/paste. Basically just says it is interesting to wonder whether last week's shocking come-from-behind wins will be the beginning of the end. For Alabama they cited the very poor tackling of secondary, fumble in red zone, terribly inaccurate AJ, and a couple bad penalties. Then said that UGA has the size and ability on both OL and DL to test the Tide. Said aTm is a good opponent with 3 projected NFL starters on OL but Manziel has been less than average against the few top defenses he's faced this year.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Don't chase him to the point that we can't catch him. Don't get out of position. Let him come to us.

or

We may need a Drone flying overhead.

The Aggies have a very good OL, at least 2 good RB's, at least two very good WR's (Swope and #13 can't remember his name but he's about 6' 5" tall) and a QB that's hard to get a good position on for a takedown. He has quick feet, he's fast and very elusive. You think he's going one way and all of a sudden he's gone another.

We are going to need to have several 12 to 16 play drives to take time off the clock. We also need 2 or 3 interceptions. We need to pressure the QB without losing position to bring him down. It's like you think you've got him and then he's traveling down field toward the goal line.

I just know that Coach Saban will have the best game plan possible.

I hope everyone is healthy and rested from the LSU game. I hope the following are healthy for the game esp. # 9 and # 7 and #42.

We've got to maintain possession of the ball: start out with a lead, expand that lead and put them in a position where they make mistakes in trying to catch up (interceptions). We need lot's of 3 and outs to keep our defense fresh.

Actually, I'm hoping for goose eggs on A & M's side of the scoreboard.

So, RTR!

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I think 200 is a "program" weight. I think the estimate above of 180 looks closer to accurate.

But that's beside the point. Don't let him run and hit him hard when he does. Force him to make the passes that Mettenberger made on Saturday night.

Otherwise, I think it is just same old same old. Run the ball. Stop the run. Don't turn it over.

Oh, and this is a game that I think the crowd can help disrupt their offense. The most hostile environment they've seen was a fairly dis-spritied 55,000 at MSU. We can do better than that without the stupid cow bells.

Ag2012

Apr 27, 2011
their run game is not a big threat
We have the top rushing offense in the SEC with 251.3 yds/game, with two 5-star RBs and the obviously elusive JFF at QB. The run game took the longest of any part of our offense to click but now that it's rolling it complements our spread passing attack very well.

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012
Imo, Al A bama is the closest to being correct. Unlike my Aggie brothers on this site, I'm not ready to concede victory to bama just yet. I'm all about being respectful on someone else's site, but lets show some pride boys! This A&M team is not the same team that played lsu or florida. This team gets better every week. If you hold postition on the line and let him pass, your DBs better have a good game, Johnny is hitting his receivers well right now. If you put a spy on JM every down, the RBs will hurt you. For the tide to win, I don't think you can come out and do one thing, you are going to have to mix it up and give JM different looks. You will need to pressure him some.
For A&M to win, we will have to play our best game, get some three and outs on D and keep the offense moving. We ran 90+ plays against msu, I think we will need to do that again to beat bama.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Against LSU and Florida they averaged 18 ppg and Manziel only scored once and that was at home. They nearly lost to Ole Miss (and probably should have). They beat a historically bad Auburn team and an emotionally depleted MSU team. They gave up 57 to La Tech.

I'm not saying we'll spank them, but they really aren't that amazing. Most teams seem to have their best offensive game of the year against them, or close to it (LSU, Florida, Auburn, La Tech).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Against LSU and Florida they averaged 18 ppg and Manziel only scored once and that was at home. They nearly lost to Ole Miss (and probably should have). They beat a historically bad Auburn team and an emotionally depleted MSU team. They gave up 57 to La Tech.

I'm not saying we'll spank them, but they really aren't that amazing. Most teams seem to have their best offensive game of the year against them, or close to it (LSU, Florida, Auburn, La Tech).
Actually, only 2 teams scored above their average against aTm. On average, aTm held its opponents to 9 points BELOW their average points scored per game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.