Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Everybody watched the same game but walked away with differing opinions.

Talked to one friend who is an LSU alum and he said, very simply, "Now I know how Alabama fans felt last year." He was referring to the game in which Alabama outplayed LSU in every way, but still managed to lose in OT. While I am not certain that LSU outplayed Alabama Saturday night as convincingly as Alabama outplayed LSU last year, I can certainly see the parallel.

2. Advertisement
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Talked to one friend who is an LSU alum and he said, very simply, "Now I know how Alabama fans felt last year." He was referring to the game in which Alabama outplayed LSU in every way, but still managed to lose in OT. While I am not certain that LSU outplayed Alabama Saturday night as convincingly as Alabama outplayed LSU last year, I can certainly see the parallel.
    Unfortunately LSU fans (as most fans) want to have their cake and eat it to. I remember last season when LSU snuck out of town with a "W" they all leaned on the same things they are currently dismissing this season when it happened to them in their own house.

They went on and on about how hard it was going into a hostile SEC venue and winning. It didn't matter how "pretty" the win was, "a win is a win". It just proved their team had character and heart.

Fast forward to Saturday night. Wasn't Alabama in the same situation as LSU last year? I'd say Alabama had a larger mountain to climb than LSU did last year coming into T-Town. Yet all of that is dismissed by them when they are on the losing end. How convenient.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Cat View Post
    Excellent post BB...

I bolded the parts I think sums it up perfectly. It wasn't Bama's best game. All the breaks, even the head-scratcher/what-was-he-thinking?-Les-Miles'-plays, went LSU's way and didn't bite LSU when 99% of the time in any other game, it would have cost LSU immensely.
    Bama rose to the occasion and delivered the knock-out punch just in time.
    All plays matter until the clock stops.

The final 7 minutes of that game were amazing. Obviously the offense "won" the game for Bama with our oline & McCarron leading the way in the 1:34 drive, but Bama's defensive stop forcing LSU's long fg attempt, was HUGE, and the beginning of what turned out to be one of the most amazing finishes to any fb game I've ever seen.
    I am into mindset of the players and I feel that missed field goal was the most important play of the game for us. Had they made that field goal, the pressure on the players and especially AJ would have been magnified 10 times. Now we would have HAD to have a touchdown to win the game whereas a 3 point deficit put us in position to only have to get in field goal range to get to overtime. I think this was huge and AJ calmed down and rested on his abilities (that for some reason had abandoned him for much of the evening) and also had faith in his offensive line and his receivers...and the rest is history.

Kudos to our offensive line that played lights out on that last drive as well as Norwood who was able to concentrate when the odds did not seem to be in our favor. We have CNS to thank for making this team and each individual player mentally tough and prepared when adversity came knocking. And TJ Yeldon, this guy only beng a freshman, barring any injuries, may well rewrite Alabama record books. I am very excited for the potential he has. The process continues!!
    Roll Tide!!
    Last edited by TUSKaloosa; November 5th, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
    “ The Crimson Tide of Alabama” Now that has a majestic ring to it!

BamaNation All-SEC Bamafan P.T.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Unfortunately LSU fans (as most fans) want to have their cake and eat it to. I remember last season when LSU snuck out of town with a "W" they all leaned on the same things they are currently dismissing this season when it happened to them in their own house.

They went on and on about how hard it was going into a hostile SEC venue and winning. It didn't matter how "pretty" the win was, "a win is a win". It just proved their team had character and heart.

Fast forward to Saturday night. Wasn't Alabama in the same situation as LSU last year? I'd say Alabama had a larger mountain to climb than LSU did last year coming into T-Town. Yet all of that is dismissed by them when they are on the losing end. How convenient.
    The buzzard is on a roll today!

Dreams died, just not Bama's. Corndogs get another year to make excuses!

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    my opinion, and Tim Brando this is for you, Bama did play their worst game of the year. two unforced fumbles, atypical. they got away from running the football, although they were effective doing so. I think if they would have stayed with the running game, the result would have been much different. The game plan was flawed, I think they relied to much on notes from the BCSCG, and the players were not focused mentally. AJ had his worse game of the year, until the end. LSU played their best game of the year. LSU fans complain miles lost the game, but His aggressiveness allowed them to be close. you can't have one without the other. Hopefully, that was a wakeup call for Bama to re focus for the rest of the season.
    I place most of the blame for our poor play on the coaches. As you say we abandoned the run even though we were gashing them. We also have an offensive tell that needs looking into and that is we almost always run on 2nd down if we miss on a 1st down pass. The only time LSU stopped our run game was that scenario.

Kirby Smart called a poor game and overall our defensive coaches, which probably means Coach Saban as well, had a poor game plan for LSU. They expected LSU to max protect all night for both their running game and passing game. They did use max protect some but mostly spread their offense out for both run and pass. We never really adjusted defensively.

I think our defensive gameplan was okay, we just struggled to execute. How many times did we blitz and get to the QB a second after he let go of the ball? How many times were our DBs in perfect position only to miss the deflection by inches? How many times did it look like we had the back bottled up only to let him get around us or miss the tackle?

I think we looked a little tired and slow, especially on defense. I know they ran a lot of plays and converted a lot of 3rd downs, and our defense was on the field more than usual. But even early in the game we were just a step slower than usual.

I hope they can get a little rest this week and come out fresh against A&M.

My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bamafan P.T. View Post
    The buzzard is on a roll today!

Dreams died, just not Bama's. Corndogs get another year to make excuses!
    Oh yes sir I am. I had to come out with guns-uh-blazin' Sunday morning after the game. The excuse makers were out in full force in Shreveport, LA.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American

I don't believe Alabama played its worst game of the year (maybe one very important player had a bad slump during most of the 2nd half).

A few things went wrong against a very good team that was playing its best game; kind of defied the odds. Too many times the DB was in as good a position as could be and then LSU would still somehow make the play. I'd say Bama played worse against Western Kentucky and Ole Miss. I'd be really upset if Bama played its worst game this late in the season against LSU.

I hated seeing Bama being 2nd and 10 everytime they would try a first down pass and then end up 3rd and 3-4 yards after a nice 2nd down run so maybe play calling could have been improved but the QB was a little off which didn't help the play calling. LSU defense was one of the few teams that hasn't loaded the box to stop Bama's run and Alabama's OL dominated the "best defensive line in the country". When the holes are as big as they were Saturday, I'd like to see more Yeldon since he seems to be better in the open field than Lacy and that's where they were ending up before LSU defenders were getting close enough to make contact.

BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Kirby Smart called a poor game and overall our defensive coaches, which probably means Coach Saban as well, had a poor game plan for LSU.
    I disagree. Our defense played about as well as the championship game. The difference was LSU executed much better this game. I give credit to LSU coaches and players. They ran an up=tempo offense to keep personnel groupings on the field they felt gave them the best advantage and Mettenburger executed the passing game much better than he previously has.

I think our overall game-plan was good. If we don't throw the ball with a veteran QB and receivers, we're not utilizing our offense's potential. It's the very thing most annalists felt gave us an advantage over LSU. The problem was not connecting with open receivers. JMHO

PS-

Everybody watched the same game but walked away with differing opinions.
    --This thread bears out that observation.

Last edited by IMALOYAL1; November 5th, 2012 at 01:13 PM.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

I have not been any prouder, in the manner in which Bama won the game, since 1985. When Mike Shula, after being sacked at his own 12 yard line, called his final time out with 38 seconds left in the barn game. Then picked himself up, and facing 2nd and 18 with not a snowball's chance of winning the game, went and won the game!
    Last edited by ALA2262; November 5th, 2012 at 01:29 PM.

BamaNation Second Team
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Totally agree BB

They had the ball for 39 minutes, we had 2 turnovers, they played the best game all year, and the score at half was 14 -3, and before our drive they had a 3 point lead. How did we get blown out. And as you stated, it wasnt a bad call, bad bouce, it was a 70+ yard drive with no timeout for a score,,,just make a play and you win... they couldnt...

BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

I'm looking towards LSU's next game to see how much they invested in this game. To see if they have the gumption enough to stand up and play the rest of the season as hard as they played Saturday.
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    I'm looking towards LSU's next game to see how much they invested in this game. To see if they have the gumption enough to stand up and play the rest of the season as hard as they played Saturday.
    My answer is no. At least from the quarterback position. Until proven wrong I think Saturday night was nothing more than a "Garcia" moment.