Everybody watched the same game but walked away with differing opinions.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately LSU fans (as most fans) want to have their cake and eat it to. I remember last season when LSU snuck out of town with a "W" they all leaned on the same things they are currently dismissing this season when it happened to them in their own house.

They went on and on about how hard it was going into a hostile SEC venue and winning. It didn't matter how "pretty" the win was, "a win is a win". It just proved their team had character and heart.

Fast forward to Saturday night. Wasn't Alabama in the same situation as LSU last year? I'd say Alabama had a larger mountain to climb than LSU did last year coming into T-Town. Yet all of that is dismissed by them when they are on the losing end. How convenient.
I gotta play devil's advocate a little here, BB.

First, I can't begin to see why our team had a larger mountain to climb than they did last year. We were undefeated and favored last year. Their team was undefeated also, and beat some common opponents worse than we did. This year, they were 9.5 point underdogs, and had lost to FL. They looked underwhelming on offense, and most thought that we would win relatively easy. Virtually nobody thought they had a legit to actually beat us, even if they thought they might keep it close.

Now, the consensus opinion of last year's game was that we outplayed LSU and won everything but the scoreboard. If we hit a couple of those FG's, we win. This is still what I believe. Now, to be consistent, I have to say pretty much the same thing happened this year to us. If LSU hits those FG's they missed, they probably put the game out of reach for us. They outgained us, and beat us up physically worse than I seen any team do since maybe 2007. Both teams fought for 60 mins in both games, and both did what it had to do to win 2 epic games.

My point is, I can see why they are saying what they are saying, because we said the same thing last year. We had a lot of people here questioning Saban's decisions (remember "WHY DIDN'T WE JUST PUNT!!!", "WHY DID SABAN KEEP KICKING FG's???", "WE GOT OUTCOACHED!!!"?), his clock management, and pretty much went on full melt-down mode in the wake of the loss. The same thing is happening with their fanbase right now.

The fact is both teams did what they had to do to win. Our fans feel like we should have won last year. (I FULLY BELIEVE THAT) Our fans feel like our team showed tremendous heart, poise, and just plain refused to lose this year. (I FULLY BELIEVE THAT, TOO)

I don't see why we should expect them to feel any different than we did. Nothing we say is going to change how they feel, just like nothing they say will change how we feel. This may come as a shock to some, but both fanbases are going to use whatever is "convenient" to make their case! ;)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If you notice when referring to the LSU fans wanting their cake and eat it to I put in parenthesis "(as most fans)." So I recognize all fans (including us) want to use the convenient excuse.

The reason I think we had a tougher mountain to climb is because Death Valley is more of home field advantage "tool" than BDS. We had played two out of three road games. They had two weeks off. They had the revenge factor of being thrashed just ten months earlier. I was surprised at all the blowout predictions here on tidefans the week of the game. I'm not expert and not claiming to be but even I knew LSU would play the game of their lives Saturday night, and ultimately I was right. We had more factors playing against us than they did last season.

I gotta play devil's advocate a little here, BB.

First, I can't begin to see why our team had a larger mountain to climb than they did last year. We were undefeated and favored last year. Their team was undefeated also, and beat some common opponents worse than we did. This year, they were 9.5 point underdogs, and had lost to FL. They looked underwhelming on offense, and most thought that we would win relatively easy. Virtually nobody thought they had a legit to actually beat us, even if they thought they might keep it close.

Now, the consensus opinion of last year's game was that we outplayed LSU and won everything but the scoreboard. If we hit a couple of those FG's, we win. This is still what I believe. Now, to be consistent, I have to say pretty much the same thing happened this year to us. If LSU hits those FG's they missed, they probably put the game out of reach for us. They outgained us, and beat us up physically worse than I seen any team do since maybe 2007. Both teams fought for 60 mins in both games, and both did what it had to do to win 2 epic games.

My point is, I can see why they are saying what they are saying, because we said the same thing last year. We had a lot of people here questioning Saban's decisions (remember "WHY DIDN'T WE JUST PUNT!!!", "WHY DID SABAN KEEP KICKING FG's???", "WE GOT OUTCOACHED!!!"?), his clock management, and pretty much went on full melt-down mode in the wake of the loss. The same thing is happening with their fanbase right now.

The fact is both teams did what they had to do to win. Our fans feel like we should have won last year. (I FULLY BELIEVE THAT) Our fans feel like our team showed tremendous heart, poise, and just plain refused to lose this year. (I FULLY BELIEVE THAT, TOO)

I don't see why we should expect them to feel any different than we did. Nothing we say is going to change how they feel, just like nothing they say will change how we feel. This may come as a shock to some, but both fanbases are going to use whatever is "convenient" to make their case! ;)

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. We had what people had already began to call maybe the best defense in CFB ever, and we had what was pretty much universally recognized as the nation's best RB (one game removed from a break-out, ankle snapping performance against OM - when the Heisman talk really heated up). We were favored by 4.5 points in a home game, as opposed to us being favored by 9.5 on the road this year. They have been truly abysmal on offense this year, and have not been near as dominate on defense as last year. Both teams were viewed as monsters last year and the game was called the "The Game of Century" and this year recieved MUCH less hype because we were expected by almost everyone to easily handle a good, but not great LSU team.

I'm not all discounting what we had to overcome this year, but their win last year proved to be an anomoly, and I still wonder how they pulled it off.

If you notice when referring to the LSU fans wanting their cake and eat it to I put in parenthesis "(as most fans)." So I recognize all fans (including us) want to use the convenient excuse.

The reason I think we had a tougher mountain to climb is because Death Valley is more of home field advantage "tool" than BDS. We had played two out of three road games. They had two weeks off. They had the revenge factor of being thrashed just ten months earlier. I was surprised at all the blowout predictions here on tidefans the week of the game. I'm not expert and not claiming to be but even I knew LSU would play the game of their lives Saturday night, and ultimately I was right. We had more factors playing against us than they did last season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.