Everybody watched the same game but walked away with differing opinions.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
In general it is very common for people to witness the same event at the same time and walk away with totally opposite views and opinions. Such is the case for the Alabama/LSU game November 4th.

It seems if you talk to LSU fans after Saturday's game the opinion of many of their fans is "We're overrated", "Not the best team in the country" and "We got lucky".

But for me, I saw an LSU team who had two weeks to gameplan, two weeks to rest up and ten months to fester on the most embarrassing loss in school's history. LSU had the advantage of arguably the toughest place to play for a visiting team in college football in a night game at Tiger Stadium. They had a Tide team coming off playing two out of their last three games on the road. No two weeks to rest, gameplan, and heal any nagging injuries to key players.

I saw LSU put together their most complete and balanced offensive game of the entire season, had their quarterback play a game that more than likely he won't replicate again this season (possibly his career). Their coaching staff having their players mentally, emotionally and physically ready for this game. The crowd creating an extremely hostile environment.

Taking all of the above into consideration here's what I saw. I saw Bama come into their house, take LSU's best punches and get up and still have enough in them to deliver the deadliest right hand of the night. They (LSU fans) can cry "luck" all they want but this game didn't end on a freak bounce of the ball. This game wasn't decided on some bad call. This game was decided by LSU throwing everything they had at Bama and it still not being enough. I call that a true champion. The LSU fans can rub the "lucky" salve on their fight wounds all they want in order to make them feel better for their second consecutive loss to Bama in 2012. But in the end Bama proved to be championship caliber and more than worthy of their #1 ranking. For Bama to have what happened to them Saturday night in that venue and win in the manner they did is far from "lucky". Ultimately, we might not win the BCS National Title. It's tough to repeat. We've got some injuries mounting up with four consecutive games left to play with no bye week to rest or heal. But one things for sure. What I saw Saturday night at the vaunted Death Valley, where in the words of Les Miles "...is truly a place where opponents' dreams go to die." I witnessed a Bama team go in there and not succumb to an avalanche of obstacles and adversities. But find the focus, heart and drive to overcome and knock out a worthy opponent.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
That's good. I think LSU got the luck part a fumble that shouldn't have been, a fumble on a punt return, they fumble but they all of a sudden call a penatly.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Good post. Bama struggled but man did they keep playing hard. I thought Lsu was going to win late, but made the comment Bama's D is still giving it all they have. The players proved they had a champion's heart.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Good post....

I understand why LSU fans would say we got lucky BUT the polls agree with what you said. The voters know it was a great Bama win against difficult odds.

I must admit, I was very surprised we stayed the unanimous #1 in the polls. But it just shows you the national respect thrown at a Bama/LSU game right now. It's the best rivalry that matters in college football right now.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
You're exactly right. Opinions are going to always differ.

I saw LSU play the game of their life -- and give them complete credit for that. But the reality is (for me, at least), Bama led at the end of the second, third and fourth quarters. Even though Bama did not play it's best game and LSU did, there was the Tide driving towards an obvious TD that would have pushed the lead to 21-10 and likely out of reach -- and fumbled on the 10 yd line (through no doing of LSU, it was a bad handoff). LSU responded by scoring and taking the lead. They had two chances to tack on to that lead and couldn't --- once because Alabama STOPPED them on 4th and 1 and then when their kicker failed to connect (after our D stopped their drive). Is that luck? No, that's football. Bama responded by driving the ball down the field and down the Tigers throat to take the lead back. LSU then had another opportunity (Bama scored in less than a minute, no reason LSU couldn't do the same) and Bama ended it with a sack.

Excellent, excellent football game. No, Bama did not play particularly well; but they did WHAT they needed to WHEN they needed to. They held the lead for the majority of the game; and, most importantly, at the end of the game.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The good news is that after A&M we should get to rest some guys if we need to -- at least in the 2nd halves.....

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Taking all of the above into consideration here's what I saw. I saw Bama come into their house, take LSU's best punches and get up and still have enough in them to deliver the deadliest right hand of the night. They (LSU fans) can cry "luck" all they want but this game didn't end on a freak bounce of the ball. This game wasn't decided on some bad call. This game was decided by LSU throwing everything they had at Bama and it still not being enough. I call that a true champion.

What I saw Saturday night at the vaunted Death Valley, where in the words of Les Miles "...is truly a place where opponents' dreams go to die." I witnessed a Bama team go in there and not succumb to an avalanche of obstacles and adversities. But find the focus, heart and drive to overcome and knock out a worthy opponent.
Excellent post BB...

I bolded the parts I think sums it up perfectly. It wasn't Bama's best game. All the breaks, even the head-scratcher/what-was-he-thinking?-Les-Miles'-plays, went LSU's way and didn't bite LSU when 99% of the time in any other game, it would have cost LSU immensely.
Bama rose to the occasion and delivered the knock-out punch just in time.
All plays matter until the clock stops.

The final 7 minutes of that game were amazing. Obviously the offense "won" the game for Bama with our oline & McCarron leading the way in the 1:34 drive, but Bama's defensive stop forcing LSU's long fg attempt, was HUGE, and the beginning of what turned out to be one of the most amazing finishes to any fb game I've ever seen.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
In general it is very common for people to witness the same event at the same time and walk away with totally opposite views and opinions. Such is the case for the Alabama/LSU game November 4th.

It seems if you talk to LSU fans after Saturday's game the opinion of many of their fans is "We're overrated", "Not the best team in the country" and "We got lucky".

But for me, I saw an LSU team who had two weeks to gameplan, two weeks to rest up and ten months to fester on the most embarrassing loss in school's history. LSU had the advantage of arguably the toughest place to play for a visiting team in college football in a night game at Tiger Stadium. They had a Tide team coming off playing two out of their last three games on the road. No two weeks to rest, gameplan, and heal any nagging injuries to key players.

I saw LSU put together their most complete and balanced offensive game of the entire season, had their quarterback play a game that more than likely he won't replicate again this season (possibly his career). Their coaching staff having their players mentally, emotionally and physically ready for this game. The crowd creating an extremely hostile environment.

Taking all of the above into consideration here's what I saw. I saw Bama come into their house, take LSU's best punches and get up and still have enough in them to deliver the deadliest right hand of the night. They (LSU fans) can cry "luck" all they want but this game didn't end on a freak bounce of the ball. This game wasn't decided on some bad call. This game was decided by LSU throwing everything they had at Bama and it still not being enough. I call that a true champion. The LSU fans can rub the "lucky" salve on their fight wounds all they want in order to make them feel better for their second consecutive loss to Bama in 2012. But in the end Bama proved to be championship caliber and more than worthy of their #1 ranking. For Bama to have what happened to them Saturday night in that venue and win in the manner they did is far from "lucky". Ultimately, we might not win the BCS National Title. It's tough to repeat. We've got some injuries mounting up with four consecutive games left to play with no bye week to rest or heal. But one things for sure. What I saw Saturday night at the vaunted Death Valley, where in the words of Les Miles "...is truly a place where opponents' dreams go to die." I witnessed a Bama team go in there and not succumb to an avalanche of obstacles and adversities. But find the focus, heart and drive to overcome and knock out a worthy opponent.
Very well said Bamabuzzard!

We Bama fans are spoiled and thankfully so. We expect every play, offensively and defensively, to be perfectly executed and all of our drives to end in a touchdown. The reality is neither we nor our team will ever be perfect. The coaching staff will analyze the game film and every mistake will be examined and corrections made. The LSU game was a classic battle of wills between two powerhouse programs and in the end the best team won. The quiet calmness shown by CNS and AJ & company in that final drive speaks volumes. This team is special.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Post of the Year to this Point^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Yep, it was interesting listening to 790 The Zone this morning. Can't remember which guy said "Now we know powerful Alabama is beatable, NFL Alabama is vulnerable, UGA is feeling really good now, little 'ole no-offense LSU dominates Alabama, Alabama makes Mettenberger a big name QB, etc..."

Then Nick Cellini interrupts with the voice of reason stating Alabama just went into LSU at night and pulled out a huge game. He then went on about the stats of playing at night, Miles and his trickery, etc... Obviously I side with Nick on this one. I could complain about 100 things, but with the magnitude of what our guys were facing (especially in 2nd half) I just sit in awe of how they came together, came together as a TEAM. So many names I could bring up, but this really was a TEAM effort from the sideline to the where the ball was spotted. Just incredible!

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Bama played its worst game of the year. 2 unforced turnovers. Poor play by DBs. AJ was off for 58 1/2 minutes. Poor play calling (2nd & 3 and you pass twice with RBs that had averaged 7 yards a carry?).

Bama still won.

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I 2nd the nomination for post of the year...RTR!! :)

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
my opinion, and Tim Brando this is for you, Bama did play their worst game of the year. two unforced fumbles, atypical. they got away from running the football, although they were effective doing so. I think if they would have stayed with the running game, the result would have been much different. The game plan was flawed, I think they relied to much on notes from the BCSCG, and the players were not focused mentally. AJ had his worse game of the year, until the end. LSU played their best game of the year. LSU fans complain miles lost the game, but His aggressiveness allowed them to be close. you can't have one without the other. Hopefully, that was a wakeup call for Bama to re focus for the rest of the season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Talked to one friend who is an LSU alum and he said, very simply, "Now I know how Alabama fans felt last year." He was referring to the game in which Alabama outplayed LSU in every way, but still managed to lose in OT. While I am not certain that LSU outplayed Alabama Saturday night as convincingly as Alabama outplayed LSU last year, I can certainly see the parallel.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Talked to one friend who is an LSU alum and he said, very simply, "Now I know how Alabama fans felt last year." He was referring to the game in which Alabama outplayed LSU in every way, but still managed to lose in OT. While I am not certain that LSU outplayed Alabama Saturday night as convincingly as Alabama outplayed LSU last year, I can certainly see the parallel.
Unfortunately LSU fans (as most fans) want to have their cake and eat it to. I remember last season when LSU snuck out of town with a "W" they all leaned on the same things they are currently dismissing this season when it happened to them in their own house.

They went on and on about how hard it was going into a hostile SEC venue and winning. It didn't matter how "pretty" the win was, "a win is a win". It just proved their team had character and heart.

Fast forward to Saturday night. Wasn't Alabama in the same situation as LSU last year? I'd say Alabama had a larger mountain to climb than LSU did last year coming into T-Town. Yet all of that is dismissed by them when they are on the losing end. How convenient.

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Excellent post BB...

I bolded the parts I think sums it up perfectly. It wasn't Bama's best game. All the breaks, even the head-scratcher/what-was-he-thinking?-Les-Miles'-plays, went LSU's way and didn't bite LSU when 99% of the time in any other game, it would have cost LSU immensely.
Bama rose to the occasion and delivered the knock-out punch just in time.
All plays matter until the clock stops.

The final 7 minutes of that game were amazing. Obviously the offense "won" the game for Bama with our oline & McCarron leading the way in the 1:34 drive, but Bama's defensive stop forcing LSU's long fg attempt, was HUGE, and the beginning of what turned out to be one of the most amazing finishes to any fb game I've ever seen.
I am into mindset of the players and I feel that missed field goal was the most important play of the game for us. Had they made that field goal, the pressure on the players and especially AJ would have been magnified 10 times. Now we would have HAD to have a touchdown to win the game whereas a 3 point deficit put us in position to only have to get in field goal range to get to overtime. I think this was huge and AJ calmed down and rested on his abilities (that for some reason had abandoned him for much of the evening) and also had faith in his offensive line and his receivers...and the rest is history.

Kudos to our offensive line that played lights out on that last drive as well as Norwood who was able to concentrate when the odds did not seem to be in our favor. We have CNS to thank for making this team and each individual player mentally tough and prepared when adversity came knocking. And TJ Yeldon, this guy only beng a freshman, barring any injuries, may well rewrite Alabama record books. I am very excited for the potential he has. The process continues!!
Roll Tide!!

Last edited:

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Unfortunately LSU fans (as most fans) want to have their cake and eat it to. I remember last season when LSU snuck out of town with a "W" they all leaned on the same things they are currently dismissing this season when it happened to them in their own house.

They went on and on about how hard it was going into a hostile SEC venue and winning. It didn't matter how "pretty" the win was, "a win is a win". It just proved their team had character and heart.

Fast forward to Saturday night. Wasn't Alabama in the same situation as LSU last year? I'd say Alabama had a larger mountain to climb than LSU did last year coming into T-Town. Yet all of that is dismissed by them when they are on the losing end. How convenient.
The buzzard is on a roll today!

Dreams died, just not Bama's. Corndogs get another year to make excuses!

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
my opinion, and Tim Brando this is for you, Bama did play their worst game of the year. two unforced fumbles, atypical. they got away from running the football, although they were effective doing so. I think if they would have stayed with the running game, the result would have been much different. The game plan was flawed, I think they relied to much on notes from the BCSCG, and the players were not focused mentally. AJ had his worse game of the year, until the end. LSU played their best game of the year. LSU fans complain miles lost the game, but His aggressiveness allowed them to be close. you can't have one without the other. Hopefully, that was a wakeup call for Bama to re focus for the rest of the season.
I place most of the blame for our poor play on the coaches. As you say we abandoned the run even though we were gashing them. We also have an offensive tell that needs looking into and that is we almost always run on 2nd down if we miss on a 1st down pass. The only time LSU stopped our run game was that scenario.

Kirby Smart called a poor game and overall our defensive coaches, which probably means Coach Saban as well, had a poor game plan for LSU. They expected LSU to max protect all night for both their running game and passing game. They did use max protect some but mostly spread their offense out for both run and pass. We never really adjusted defensively.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I think our defensive gameplan was okay, we just struggled to execute. How many times did we blitz and get to the QB a second after he let go of the ball? How many times were our DBs in perfect position only to miss the deflection by inches? How many times did it look like we had the back bottled up only to let him get around us or miss the tackle?

I think we looked a little tired and slow, especially on defense. I know they ran a lot of plays and converted a lot of 3rd downs, and our defense was on the field more than usual. But even early in the game we were just a step slower than usual.

I hope they can get a little rest this week and come out fresh against A&M.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.