Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

No One is Talking about Coach Saban's Demeanor against LSU

I know I'm not the only one who saw our legendary Coach's demeanor on the sideline during the LSU game. My buddy said CNS looked "lost" in the second half, (he is a Tennessee fan). I said to him what you were looking at was a coach well in control. He doesnt have to be stark raving mad to be the coach everyone expects. Clearly, CNS was observing his team get beat in the second half by a better team, physically and mentally. We werent getting beat due to real mental errors we were just getting beat by a superior team and he was clapping and encouraging our kids to keep fighting. Indeed, Coach Nick is the best college coach in the nation. I hope he dies a very old man at The Capstone. ROLL TIDE!

2. Advertisement

Re: No One is Talking about Coach Saban's Demeanor against LSU

Quote Originally Posted by TideHiFlyer View Post
    I know I'm not the only one who saw our legendary Coach's demeanor on the sideline during the LSU game. My buddy said CNS looked "lost" in the second half, (he is a Tennessee fan). I said to him what you were looking at was a coach well in control. He doesnt have to be stark raving mad to be the coach everyone expects. Clearly, CNS was observing his team get beat in the second half by a better team, physically and mentally. We werent getting beat due to real mental errors we were just getting beat by a superior team and he was clapping and encouraging our kids to keep fighting. Indeed, Coach Nick is the best college coach in the nation. I hope he dies a very old man at The Capstone. ROLL TIDE!
    I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed as much already. Glad you made a thread about it!

IMO, (you touched on it), I think he understood what was happening was some what "out of his hands" and that "blowing a fuse" would send the wrong message to the Bama players/bench.

It was obvious that LSU was having a lights out night and the we where struggling. I think he knew that a calmer approach would be the example the team needed to find a way to win. He didn't panic and neither did the team!

FWIW, his time management was spot on in the last 3-4 minutes of the game as he used his TO's too give us the time for a last minute drive.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

sniff! sniff! -- is that fish? or troll I smell?

you have a friend who is a Tennessee fan?
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

BamaNation Second Team

What I have noticed time and time again is that the tighter the game the more calm he is. This leaks over to the players as well. He gets more emotional the more out of hand the game gets. I think this is designed to keep the intensity and attention to detail high no matter the score, but the calmness at the start of a game or in the closing minutes of a nail biter is designed to elicit the same response from the 18-22 year young men he is leading. They follow his lead on an emotional level. The offense looked calm at the end of the LSU game just as they did at the end of the '09 Iron Bowl when McElroy and Julio led a similar drive to the one McCarron and Norwood led Saturday night. He was not lost he was calm in the midst of the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post

FWIW, his time management was spot on in the last 3-4 minutes of the game as he used his TO's too give us the time for a last minute drive.
    I agree. We see time and time again where coaches (Les...Kiffin..etc) have horrible time management.
    Roll Tide

I personally would not feel very comfortable either if I was in his shoes. I don't think he likes to play there due to the some of the hatred that many of their fans still carry, which was rekindled with the NC game. I noticed that the security stuck very close to the coaches and players.

He was maybe attempting to not create attention, being toned down and less animated, but not effecting his coaching. And it is nothing that will carry over.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Clearly, CNS was observing his team get beat in the second half by a better team, physically and mentally. We werent getting beat due to real mental errors we were just getting beat by a superior team and he was clapping and encouraging our kids to keep fighting.
    Coughcough...troll...coughcough.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Jones fumble on the punt return? Mental error. Yeldon's fumble on the 10? Mental error by AJ in trying to sell the fake reverse ahead of making sure of a sound hand-off. Better team physically and mentally?? When the chips were down, Bama drove down the field and scored in less than a minute to regain the lead. Then the Tide D stomped out any hope of LSU doing the same with a game ending sack.
    RTR

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

I was wondering that but I chalked it up to the fact CNS coached at Tiger Stadium and knew his team. He was trying to get enough out of them to get to the finish line.
    :13

Quote Originally Posted by trenda View Post
    Coughcough...troll...coughcough.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Jones fumble on the punt return? Mental error. Yeldon's fumble on the 10? Mental error by AJ in trying to sell the fake reverse ahead of making sure of a sound hand-off. Better team physically and mentally?? When the chips were down, Bama drove down the field and scored in less than a minute to regain the lead. Then the Tide D stomped out any hope of LSU doing the same with a game ending sack.
    Of course Im not a troll. Clearly LSU were making far less critical errors and certainly turnovers during the game but as Coach Nick said when it counted the most, we overcame great adversity to win the game. A hallmark of a championship team.

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

Maybe there isn't anything to talk about?
    "Mama called."

So, we took her home.

3/8/26-8/20/13

My Mood
    Breezy on TideFans.com

Well, I'll agree that the coach does not need to be a screamin' maniac to be coaching well. I don't really think the who's are a superior team, though, overall. I think they had a lot of things going for them, not the least of which, was a very driving need to extract vengeance, wildly hostile home field advantage and a bye week beforehand. They had a great night and we....did not. Personally, I think Saban was using his very good judgement and instincts. His players were definitely being bested and they were frustrated and exhausted. There was no question that they wanted the win. Hysterics and hissy fits would only have made them panicky and too desperate whereas he needed them to stay calm and able think well. He needed them to call up every ounce of knowledge, skill and strength that they had. I believe he was setting the tone and the example through his behavior. It worked.

BamaNation All-American

i mentioned this in another thread, but my wife (a former bama athlete) was very concerned about saban's demeanor in the game, and she was voicing these concerns from the opening kickoff. but i agree with those who say that he was cognizant of the fact that we were simply getting whipped by the other team and that he probably realized that it wasn't a "come on guys, you can do better than this" situation, but rather, that it was a "man, they're pushing us all over the field so i need to encourage the players and keep them positive" situation.

Of course Im not a troll. Clearly LSU were making far less critical errors and certainly turnovers during the game but as Coach Nick said when it counted the most, we overcame great adversity to win the game. A hallmark of a championship team.
    Your post clearly said that LSU was the superior team, but I think, hope, that you meant that LSU was playing superior at the moment. I don't believe you are a troll.