Staff Players of the Week
Offense: Fluker, Kouandjio, Norwood
Defense: Hubbard and Dickson
Special Teams: Mandell and Sunseri

- Players showed competitive character in overcoming adversity vs. LSU
- Some of the situations we had to overcome, we created
- Very important to put that game behind us as emotional as it was
- Praised Cyrus & Fluker
- Only guy that won't practice today is Lacy, but he should be ok by tomorrow.
- Cooper was just a little sore Saturday. He didn't reaggrevate the injury
- TAMU is a good team. Their only losses were to Top 10 teams and by 5 and 3 points.
- Praises Johnny Football
- Very different team in terms of presentation and what we have to prepare to defend
- We look forward to playing at home in Tiger Stadium (yes...he did say that) and we hope our fans will give us some emotional support
- TAMU has a really good offensive execution. They make a ton of big plays. Important that we get our guys lined up playing what you have to defend, and that's a QB than can scramble
- Asked who's playing the role of Manzell on our scout team: "If we had a guy that can do that, we'd play him. He'd be playing." Said ultimately, if there's anyone close Blake Sims would be that guy
- We didn't play man coverage very well vs. LSU. We weren't aggressive enough. We also didn't do a good job on 3rd down on offense. Even though they moved the ball, we created a lot of 3rd down situations, but we couldn't get off the field. We didn't cover well enough in man and didn't break on the ball well enough in zone.
- TAMU defense is very good. Do a lot of different things. They're very aggressive. They load the box and force you to beat them.
- We've got to forget about this last game. We've got to move on.
- Players have a lot of respect for TAMU. Would be difficult not to based on their success this year.
- Any concerns about no-huddle and if his comments a few weeks back and if that put negative thoughts in his defense's mind: "They weren't going no huddle Saturday and we played the worst we've played all year by far. Maybe we should've asked them to go no-huddle." Then proceeds to go off on the guy for asking the question. Awkward silence in the room.
- Asked if Manzell reminds him of anyone he's seen in the past few years: "I've been around longer than most, and most of my players can't related, but he reminds me of Doug Flutie. He's a unique guy in terms of his play-making ability."
- Said, as a pair, TAMU's offensive tackles are about the best (as a pair) that we've faced all year.
- Thinks OUR OL has done a really good job this year. Thinks they did a good job in the last game. The offense itself, though, was a little inconsistent this past game, but the o-line did a really really good job. Been pleased with the progression.
- Asked if their scheme was similar to anyone else's: You just have to practice scramble rules, matching patterns, etc. Some would argue that it's better do defend it with a zone, and we can have that argument. It has its positives. You also have to have your better athletes out there, not necessarily guys who can play the two gap at the nose. Gotta get guys out there that can move (translation: Less DePriest, more Mosley)
- How do you get players to not worry about the pressure that they have as 18-23 year olds?: We try to get them to focus on the next play. Not worry about the result. More about how you prepare and how you compete. If there's any one thing our players did well last week,it was just that. They kept competing."
- Cody Mandell did a really good job in the last game. Probably about as good a game as he's had in terms of consistency.
- Always keep up with Kent St. scores, because it means something to me. It's my alma mater. It's good to see they're having a good year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So was coach trying to send a veiled message to fans when he said "Tiger Stadium" or is he kinda like me today...in a tired, yet euphoric fog?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We look forward to playing at home in Tiger Stadium

I think I know who CBS will replace Verne with :)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Saban seems to see it like a lot of us wannabe coaches on here do. This year our best defensive personnel is a 4-2-5 look with 3 safeties, Mosley at ILB, and our two Jack LBs playing a pure DE role. It effectively becomes a smallish 4-3 because of the 3 safeties.

We aren't terrible in the 3-4 personnel but we certainly don't seem to be the force we were last year in base defense. Nico isn't quite as instinctive as Hightower when it comes to attacking the gap correctly, so some of those interior runs that were getting stonewalled in 2011 aren't this year. Of course, I don't think many teams can exploit that relative deficiency compared to 2011 like LSU either. I think we match up better with these "spread-to-run" type offenses which TAMU certainly falls under schematically. These schemes allow us to put the best instinct guys on the field like Mosley and Sunseri.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I saw a stat that said we are 25-9-2 in Baton Rouge.
You know there was a time when the saying was, "The Tide don't lose in Baton Rouge", right? We didn't lose a game down there for about 40 years. CPB started the streak.

The only decent story I ever heard Bill Curry tell was one about him taking a team down to Death Valley and how worried he was. Said they had prepared all week, but he just didn't feel good about the game plan they had put together. Said as they were boarding the plane a player asked him what was wrong. Curry confided in the player he was worried about how well LSU had been playing. The player patted him on the back, smiled and said, "Don't worry coach, you know what they say". Curry looked at him puzzled. "The Tide don't lose in Baton Rouge" he said.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.