Explain the "Garcia Moment"

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
This has happened before with the cuz stated in the title back in 2010. He had the game of his life, and the striking
similarity with this game was our inability to stop LSU and Mettenberger on 3rd down.

What is your explanation?

Generally speaking, I think it's a no-brainer that LSU has been preparing for this game for months. 21-0 is pretty good motivation. And I think as well that analysis of this year's D has been going on for several weeks, and not just for the last two. Had they so analyzed Bama's defensive packages that they found what they thought was the best point of vulnerability, blitz packages included? Had the "light come on" for Mettenberger as Danielson hinted during the game? I tend to think not, and feel he will revert back to norm.

A buddy of mine chuckled that LSU had intentionally held Mettenberger back so that Bama wouldn't prepare for him. Interesting to consider, but I asked him what about the loss to Florida. Would they not have turned him loose instead of take one in the L column?

"Uh, well, there goes that theory."

One thing I do feel though. I do not think that the Bama D had been "exposed", as haters and superficial critics suggest with that overused cliche.

What do you think?

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
I am curious which Mettenberger will show up the rest of the season.

The additional week LSU had to prepare for this game was HUGE!!!!

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I heard the coaches put 21-0 up around the facilities so that has been a good reminder all year. They so badly wanted revenge for January, and they came close.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Zm was a pretty highly ranked QB coming out of HS, 4* iirc, so it's no surprise to see him making the throws. I have a feeling he'll continue to improve from here on out, his upside is pretty tremendous, especially relative to what he's done year to date before Bama.

The biggest / best competitors often thrive under pressure, and he didn't disappoint.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Probably not what you are looking for but: "some days are better than others" and then there is "the zone."

Tebow had his game like that against us in the '08 SECCG or else we might have won the last 3 of 4 NCs.

ZM was "in the zone" and couldn't do anything wrong. I think Danielson observed late in the fourth quarter (before our comeback) that zm was doing to us exactly what AJ did to them in January. I thought it was spot on.

Only difference is AJ had shown better potential before then and Met had not until Saturday.

Now, what happens next for ZM? Will the light stay on or will it go out like it did for Garcia??? We'll have to wait and see.

saraelizabethua

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Oxford, Mississippi
I saw a bumper sticker in Oxford the other day that said something about Ole Miss beating (eventual national champs) Florida in 2008... Every team knows that if they beat the top team, there's a certain amount of glory associated with the W. I definitely agree that there is a "zone." With all of the implications of playing Alabama at home, LSU got into that zone... for a while. I don't see LSU and Mettenberger playing up to that standard when they face their last few teams, but we'll see!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Every competitive athlete has one of these days - a day in which you can simply do no wrong. IMO, Zach had one of those days. We will only remember it because it happened in a very important game (like Garcia).

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not sure how to explain it. I think part of it has to do with a team preparing more for a top ranked team than they do for any other week. It's tough being on top. You get everybody's best effort and preparation each week. USCe more than likely invested more quality energy into preparation for that one week of Bama than they ever had before and after. It culminated into a flawless performance by Garcia. The problem is most players of Garcia's make up can't do it consistently. That is why they'll revert back to erratic play very quickly. Many times the next week.

Mettenberger now has to prove to the Who fans that Saturday night wasn't a "Garcia Moment".

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
As someone said, Mettenberger was a highly touted QB in high school and IMO is better than Aaron Murray except he ran afoul of disciplinary actions at UGA. He was in a zone Saturday night and his WRs also made some spectacular catches to help him. I would expect Mettenberger to finish the season strong since they only have left MSU, OM and Arky.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Even in the Garcia moment, they got 35 points on us.

Mettenberger was clicking on Saturday, but they still only got 17 points. Probably could have had 20 points if they didn't go for it on 4th. I don't think he would have made the field goal when he faked it. Their kicker was off that night, hence the missed field goals. So maybe they left 3 points off the board, but still only 17 points were scored.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As someone said, Mettenberger was a highly touted QB in high school and IMO is better than Aaron Murray except he ran afoul of disciplinary actions at UGA. He was in a zone Saturday night and his WRs also made some spectacular catches to help him. I would expect Mettenberger to finish the season strong since they only have left MSU, OM and Arky.
I still say he drops off in performance. No way what we saw Saturday night is his norm. If so then we might as well hand LSU the national championship before next season even begins.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
Watching the game it felt like Saturday was the first time LSU's staff called plays that actually suited Mettenberger. The rest of the season it has felt like they have been forcing him to try and make plays that that offense just can't make with their injury situation.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
I kind of compare to a test that you really want to pass and have 2 weeks to do so. At Bama Saban uses the 2 weeks to prepare for multiple tests because he see's the bigger picture. LSU and Mettenberger put their entire concentration on this game alone and nit-picked everything we do as far as coverages and schemes go. I remember saying look at the WR's on their routes they know exactly how far to go before our defenders got outside their designated zone areas. JMO RTR!

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Mettenberger played well. We needed something like this to get us back down a little. I know CNS preaches all the time about not overlooking (which I know we did not overlook LSU). This will help us refocus and be ready every time out much more than a 28-3 game would have... JMO RTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.