Did anyone attending the BAMA vs LSU notice the chant against Coach

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Their attachment to him was entirely different from the attachment Bama fans have to him... If they had coaches like Thomas, Wade, Bryant and the like in their past, it would be different,but they don't. As I pointed out earlier, I've never heard a Bama fan call him "Nick." They thought they owned a piece of him. They didn't. The difference is that we realize no one does...
Truth. :cool2:

NiteyNight

Scout Team
Nov 29, 2006
How could you not consider LSU our biggest rival after these past few years. This matchup has turned into the elite football game unrivaled by any other.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
How could you not consider LSU our biggest rival after these past few years. This matchup has turned into the elite football game unrivaled by any other.
(shruggs) Maybe ... but I still feel like we own them for the most part. The fact that they really really hate us when most of us don't hate them helps me to come to that conclusion.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Because rivalries have history. This Bama-LSU dance has a long way to go to attain rivalry status.
Let me disabuse you.

For those of us that remember the Coach Bryant years we consider LSU a rivalry. Bryant vs McClendon
LSU vs Bama was a big series in the early 1970s when both teams were ranked near the top of the polls for several years. LSU had future all-pro Burt Jones at QB and the games determined the winner of the SEC and right to play for a National Title. It was one of the few games that would be televised nationally. I lived in Boston from 1971-1973 and it was the Bama game that was televised nationally each year. The game made the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1972.

I am glad to see it regaining its status of rivalry game for the entire nation.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Their attachment to him was entirely different from the attachment Bama fans have to him. Saban would probably be the first to acknowledge it. If they had coaches like Thomas, Wade, Bryant and the like in their past, it would be different,but they don't. As I pointed out earlier, I've never heard a Bama fan call him "Nick." They thought they owned a piece of him. They didn't. The difference is that we realize no one does...
I've always thought LSU fans look at Coach Saban like a lover who jilted them.
It didn't help matters that they had just told the world that Les was their man,
that Les was better than Saban...
When Coach Saban decided to re-enter college football, we made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
LSU was jealous.
LSU hated Coach Saban for coming to Alabama. They hate us for hiring him...
That's a growing part of our rivalry with LSU.
The line between love and hate is pretty thin in Cajun Country.
That's my take from talking to folks in Bayou Country.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
IMO, we are LSU's biggest rival, but they are #3 on our list behind the Barn and UT. LSU wants to be our biggest rival, but they just aren't. That isn't to say things can't change, but it will be a long time before I hate LSU worse than the Barn or UT.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Let me disabuse you.

For those of us that remember the Coach Bryant years we consider LSU a rivalry. Bryant vs McClendon
LSU vs Bama was a big series in the early 1970s when both teams were ranked near the top of the polls for several years. LSU had future all-pro Burt Jones at QB and the games determined the winner of the SEC and right to play for a National Title. It was one of the few games that would be televised nationally. I lived in Boston from 1971-1973 and it was the Bama game that was televised nationally each year. The game made the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1972.

I am glad to see it regaining its status of rivalry game for the entire nation.
To an extent but normally the UT game was the one televised other than a couple of times with LSU when Bert Jones was QB'ing the Bengal Tigers. A couple of years later an LSU game with Charles Alexander who was honored Saturday night was televised as well.

Young folks today probably have a tough time with the fact back then (sixties and early seventies) there was only one game nationally televised each week. No cable/ESPN, etc. It was nearly always the biggest rivalries that were shown.

On Sunday there was a network (ABC?) recap of the biggest games otherwise you just didn't see the teams play.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It seems LSU fans hate Coach Saban with the same level of hate that Auburn and Tennessee hate the Alabama program. Hating the HC is does not elevate the series to rival hate.

bmcklv

All-American
Nov 27, 2006
Huntsville, Alabama
To me, they're a rival because they're in the west; they're a heated rival because it's the one game that is always (so it seems) a last possession type of game. That said, to me it's also a rival without the disdain I reserve for all things pumpkin and TSDTR.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Because rivalries have history. This Bama-LSU dance has a long way to go to attain rivalry status.
I agree, but the last few years have added to this game's history. If it continues, and Auburn along with Tennessee stay as uncompetitive as LSU was for so long, I can see it growing into what you are talking about.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
SEC rivalries go back a long way.
The one with LSU started in 1895.
It's as old as the games with UGA, Ole Miss, Miss St, etc.

The rivalry with Auburn didn't resume until 1948.
I vaguely remember grown-ups saying we've got to beat AU because "they're just getting too big for their britches down there."
That was probably around 1962 or 1963.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.