Pat Dye and Gary Danielson on beating Alabama

BamaJeff

Hall of Fame
Oct 12, 1999
Dothan, AL.
According to Gary, you have to be able to run the ball in order to beat Alabama. He talked about that during the game Saturday night. Today on Finebaum, Pat Dye said you have to be able to pass the ball on Bama in order to win. Well...which is it? :conf2:
Just maybe you need to be able to run, pass, and play great defense in order to beat Bama. And even then, you might still lose! Just ask LSU!
Btw...Dye also said "I don't do Twittah or New Tube." :biggrin:

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Danielson said last year that he had gone over every Alabama SEC loss since 2008 (a very small number) and that in every case the other team had outrushed Alabama. He particularly said Arkansas under Petrino couldn't get there by focusing on passing.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
The biggest thing is for Bama to have dumb turnovers and to choose not to run the ball when they're hashing a team for 7+ yards a carry.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The biggest thing is for Bama to have dumb turnovers and to choose not to run the ball when they're hashing a team for 7+ yards a carry.
That was a big mystery to me. If we're ripping aTm for that kind of YPC, I hope we just keep it up until we can't ride that horse any more. I don't think we have to prove that we can pass the ball...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
That was a big mystery to me. If we're ripping aTm for that kind of YPC, I hope we just keep it up until we can't ride that horse any more. I don't think we have to prove that we can pass the ball...

Do you think they let the Heisman talk get to them? And expected too much of AJ to have a good night? Because we were running successfully, not sure why we didn't stick to it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Do you think they let the Heisman talk get to them? And expected too much of AJ to have a good night? Because we were running successfully, not sure why we didn't stick to it.
More to do with mindset. The coaches focused on replicating the BCS gameplan and focused on it. They didn't see the success of the running game because the gameplan/mindset was their focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm a fan of running it down their throats till they stop us, then fake another run and throw down field. I want to know if the TAMU line is physical enough to stop us?
If they can't stop us we run and keep Lil Johnny Football on the bench.
When TAMU's Offense is playing we need someone in the QB's back pocket every throw.
I would like him to have to get rid of the ball fast every time.
I would like to see us stuff their running plays and make them one dimensional.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, let's face it. Nussmeier comes from a pass first conference. I think our mind slant was that they would stack the box and we'd have to pass to loosen them up. I'm not sure we ever got away from that bias. It seemed to me that, when it became obvious that we could run the ball, we didn't change that philosophy and switch to a run first plan after they decided to rush only three. Had we done that, the game might have been quite different. However, I haven't answered the phone for any OC offers lately. :) I do hope we switch to run first against aTm, providing Lacy is healthy enough, because I think the key to the win is keeping their offense on the bench. Also, we don't know exactly how AJ's shoulder/upper back bruise is progressing. He didn't get hit there again Saturday. However, whether he were playing with a sore throwing shoulder or with one partially numbed, it was affecting his accuracy...

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
I agree that we do not have to prove we can pass on aTm. We run the ball and control the clock, eventually their defense wears down, our defense is off the field more so than at LSU and we control the outcome and possibly get some players off the bench and reduce starters get injuries going into last few games before SEC championship. I hope we pound the rock in this game w/aTm a lot. Time of possession must be to our advantage. RTR

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm a fan of running it down their throats till they stop us, then fake another run and throw down field. I want to know if the TAMU line is physical enough to stop us?
If they can't stop us we run and keep Lil Johnny Football on the bench.
When TAMU's Offense is playing we need someone in the QB's back pocket every throw.
I would like him to have to get rid of the ball fast every time.
I would like to see us stuff their running plays and make them one dimensional.
I hate to say it, but that plays right into his style. He's a Denard Robinson-type QB and he thrives on the scramble and out-quicking the defense. His passing, however, so far, as been so-so. I expect we'll play him the same way we've played other mobile QBs and collapse the pocket around him without all out blitzes until late. We can stuff their running plays without all-out blitzes. I don't think he's any cheezeburger as a passer, but it was obvious that we thought we could rattle burger with pressure and he stepped right up into the pain and made great throws. I don't think "man-goal" will go off with a cheezyburger-type throwing game, but our defense will be entirely different for him...

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Gary is right. If you cannot run against us with at least decent success, you will not beat us. Pass happy offenses like Petrino's play into exactly what we want you to do, and is why except in 2010 when we were breaking in 3 new starters at DB, Petrino never even came close to beating us..

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Gary is right. If you cannot run against us with at least decent success, you will not beat us. Pass happy offenses like Petrino's play into exactly what we want you to do, and is why except in 2010 when we were breaking in 3 new starters at DB, Petrino never even came close to beating us..
2010 wouldn't qualify?

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
You want to know how to Beat Alabama Gary? The only way is for Alabama to Beat Alabama.

Bad penalties (which you rarely see)
Fumbles (we have put the ball on the ground at the worst times)
Interceptions (not this year)
a hot QB playing lights out (I think LSU was it)

Our Coaches are really good at adjusting to just about anything they see, so beat us on one thing & we stop it next time.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I hate to say it, but that plays right into his style. He's a Denard Robinson-type QB and he thrives on the scramble and out-quicking the defense. His passing, however, so far, as been so-so. I expect we'll play him the same way we've played other mobile QBs and collapse the pocket around him without all out blitzes until late. We can stuff their running plays without all-out blitzes. I don't think he's any cheezeburger as a passer, but it was obvious that we thought we could rattle burger with pressure and he stepped right up into the pain and made great throws. I don't think "man-goal" will go off with a cheezyburger-type throwing game, but our defense will be entirely different for him...
Agree.
Our DB's are going to have to stay in the plays and not let guys make last second moves on them while he's scrambling. I don't believe he has the passing precision to exploit any of our DB's. This will be Tebow 2009.

Wonder if we'll run more nickle and have Sunseri and Mosely out there.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Spot on... that's really one area where LSU excelled. When they found something, they kept at it until we could stop it (which we didn't). Sometimes, and I think this must be a "Saban trait", we get into a tendency to think we've got to stick to a game plan on offense even if something else is working. I've seen it with both CJM and CDN now. I'd have loved to have seen us do exactly what we did three years ago versus South Carolina when we put Ingram in the wildcat and said, "here it comes boys... stop us if you can."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Agree.
Our DB's are going to have to stay in the plays and not let guys make last second moves on them while he's scrambling. I don't believe he has the passing precision to exploit any of our DB's. This will be Tebow 2009.

Wonder if we'll run more nickle and have Sunseri and Mosely out there.
Would like to see a 4-2-5 time defense with the ends being Hubbard/Dickson/Stinson and the middle guys being a variation of Pagan/Williams/Ivory/Square. That would give plenty of speed and strength. The LBs group has to include CJ.

Spot on... that's really one area where LSU excelled. When they found something, they kept at it until we could stop it (which we didn't). Sometimes, and I think this must be a "Saban trait", we get into a tendency to think we've got to stick to a game plan on offense even if something else is working. I've seen it with both CJM and CDN now. I'd have loved to have seen us do exactly what we did three years ago versus South Carolina when we put Ingram in the wildcat and said, "here it comes boys... stop us if you can."
I think it is a side effect of CNS's "every play will be successful if executed properly" mentality.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.